Why does cyberpunk refuse to move on?

clarence

18 hours ago, ChalkLine said:

Some would say that cyberpunk is the doomed rebellion you know will not succeed but is better than submitting to the process of dehumanisation

Interesting argument, in light of many of the rebels giving up significant portions of their humanity by replacing it with chrome - and not just functional parts, like those former military / corporate security cyborgs or prosthetics.

Cyberpunk scratches on transhumanism, but in a hopeless way. You're able to make a statement, but won't be able to affect any changes.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I always thought that Cyberpunk reflects the alienation of certain sectors of society - The very poor, the misfits, the people who cannot hold down a proper job or don't want to and those who The Man has hurt in the past. Cyber Enhancement can be seen as a way to get rich quick, which never really works, or a way to further emphasise the alienation.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

19 hours ago, Raleel said:

I might argue that it's less about being tricky and deceiving and more about being outside of, and likely against, conventional societal norms

I agree with this. A few years back I was in a conversation on a certain fantasy author's web site, and we all got to comparing themes and noticed how the traditional Sword & Sorcery genre (as in Howard and Leiber, not really Vance or Moorcock), Cyberpunk, Noir, and even Westerns all shared themes of alienation and "the outsider". It made a lot of sense to me as I like those genres about equally, and more than any others.

Yes, I agree:  Alienation (from a mainstream society that is nonetheless degenerate and awful) and dehumanization are the key tropes of cyberpunk, I would say, aside from advanced technology.  As has been hinted, though, the only thing worse than this alienation would be assimilation...  Attempts to break the system may or may not be totally hopeless; that depends on the particular writer, I think.

That's an interesting point about S&S and the other genres being similar here.  I hadn't thought of that.  Maybe this explains the mindset that, back in the First Wave of OSR FRPGs, led to the "murder hobo" nature of so many characters:  The players were expressing something they had subconsciously internalized from the S&S lit.  Hmm.

Edited by Matt_E

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

On 2/24/2019 at 12:34 PM, Matt_E said:

That's an interesting point about S&S and the other genres being similar here.  I hadn't thought of that.  Maybe this explains the mindset that, back in the First Wave of OSR FRPGs, led to the "murder hobo" nature of so many characters:  The players were expressing something they had subconsciously internalized from the S&S lit.  Hmm.

Honestly, I see the wargaming roots here.  Early Gygax was Tolkien-izing & Leiber'izing the team-A / team-B wargames, where the "referee" was a neutral arbiter of rules-arguments.  Magic replaced guns/artillery/&c; dragons replaced aircraft and bombs &c.  Etc.

Then came the twin notions of grabbing the "interesting commander-unit" out of the squad/platoon/company/brigade/whatever, and just running the ONE PERSON as a "unit" and have "team B" be the Ref.

The focus of the game remained the wargaming focus -- combat; adding in small-unit purposes like "scouting" (exploration) and some tropes from the literature like traps&puzzles...  (edit:  and huge piles of treasure!)

Edited by g33k
for the gold!

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, g33k said:

Honestly, I see the wargaming roots here.  Early Gygax was Tolkien-izing & Leiber'izing the team-A / team-B wargames, where the "referee" was a neutral arbiter of rules-arguments.  Magic replaced guns/artillery/&c; dragons replaced aircraft and bombs &c.  Etc.

Then came the twin notions of grabbing the "interesting commander-unit" out of the squad/platoon/company/brigade/whatever, and just running the ONE PERSON as a "unit" and have "team B" be the Ref.

The focus of the game remained the wargaming focus -- combat; adding in small-unit purposes like "scouting" (exploration) and some tropes from the literature like traps&puzzles...  (edit:  and huge piles of treasure!)

AKA... Chainmail

SDLeary

• Like 1

19 hours ago, g33k said:

Yes, to me the wargaming roots are clear and well-documented.  I was more wondering about the subconscious stuff that might have been part of the zeitgeist back then.

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2019 at 4:30 PM, Raleel said:
On 2/23/2019 at 4:16 PM, Matt_E said:

ATTENTION, ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION:

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL.

there is a setting begging to be written.

I agree...

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 11/20/2018 at 7:51 AM, Joerg said:

The Expanse offers a more modern dystopia for urban sprawls, with very few privileged people able to leave the planet (compared to the mass of planet-bound people). The portions of the books and the TV series playing on Earth are pretty spot on Cyberpunk in many of those regards, only the human-technology interface is the advanced smartphone rather than implants.

I almost call this great show cyber-noir for it's first season.

I truly apologize, but I am sure that when you hit play and listen and then do a little research as to the authorship not only will you agree it belongs here but many of you will look it up and possibly start being  fans as well. I would have put up only the first song which is germane to this discussion of music, cyberpunk and M-space. But the rest of the album works too.

Parental Warning

Hate censorship, love info.. Be warned that the lyrics on Sonic Attack are a little risqué. I am sure the rest of the album will be the same.

Spoiler

For those who can not wait, the author is a certain Michael Moorcock!

Not a spoiler

Who was the original bassist for this band? Do not know if he played on Sonic Attack.

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, Raleel said:

Lemmi!

Yay. give that boy a biscuit, when asked if he had ever made a mistake after a life-time of almost making it big and failing in oh so many ways, the founder said, and I quote... " Firing me fookin' bass player!"