Cradle of Heroes (character creator app)

Cgeist7

About the Cradle of Heroes

The Cradle of Heroes is a fan created gaming tool that I developed to meet my needs as a GM and player. It's designed so that anyone can create and manage characters and creatures and to simplify the character creation process.

Tutorial videos are available on my YouTube channel.

The Cradle is also about community and I hope it can grow to become an informal marketplace for NPCs, creatures and ideas for Runequest.

Characters can also be added to the open roster by selecting the "Open" check-box when you are creating or editing the character. They can then be coped and modified by other users, making their lives easier and letting them take advantage of your work and creativity.

As more users share content in this way, it becomes easier for new and more experienced players to quickly and easily build high quality character for their Runequest games. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the app.

I've created a Trello board to help manage feedback and updates. Please note that this iteration of the app is still in BETA phase. There will be bugs and while I'll make every effort to keep and persist all user-generated content, it may not always be possible. If anyone wants to help make the app better, the code is up on GitHub. Any suggestions or improvements (especially to front-end JS) are very welcome.

--- ToferC

I put together a few tutorial videos on how to sign in and use theRunequest Character App effectively.

Intro: https://youtu.be/Lbf7bqYl9tM

Finding Characters: https://youtu.be/DpvZ3SkuQgg

Creating Characters: https://youtu.be/ARAqgnr3J5U

Editing & Updating Charactershttps://youtu.be/ReEevV8_d5s

Adding Traits & Magic: https://youtu.be/7faq5XMcAz0

Copying Open Characters & Duplicating Content: https://youtu.be/pgy1SdlkTrU

Intro to Homelands, Occupations & Cults: https://youtu.be/-pnGjE_zIJo

NEW: Adding NPCs and creatures: 

Cheers!

C

Edited by Cgeist7
Add videos +1, Edit intro to reflect current status.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 9

Very nice! How about adding a log of choices made so far in a box at the bottom of each screen, so you can refer back to previous choices that you made? A running total of skill percentages would be good too. When assigning personal skill bonuses, I'd like to know what skills are approaching the 100% cap. *Edit* Ah, the drop down shows the current skill level!

Personal Skills section should give 5 skills at +10 rather than 4.

Could the Rune Magic selection be expanded to allow for buying extra Rune Points? One of the pregen characters has 4 spells.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 1

Hi Phil. I like the idea of the log box. That should be pretty easy to implement. Good point on the rune magic and thanks for the catch on the +10% skills. I can get these into place in the next few days. 

For the moment, you can increase rune magic from the modify character screen. Just reduce POW and increase Rune points. After that, you can add traits and add rune spells as needed. 

Thanks for the feedback and for trying out the app!

On 11/24/2018 at 7:04 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Very nice! How about adding a log of choices made so far in a box at the bottom of each screen, so you can refer back to previous choices that you made? A running total of skill percentages would be good too. When assigning personal skill bonuses, I'd like to know what skills are approaching the 100% cap. *Edit* Ah, the drop down shows the current skill level!

Personal Skills section should give 5 skills at +10 rather than 4.

Could the Rune Magic selection be expanded to allow for buying extra Rune Points? One of the pregen characters has 4 spells.

Hi Phil,

The next round of updates is now live:

• Characters correctly can add +10% to 5 personal choice skills
  • Rune Points can now be set in the cult screen and update Power appropriately.
  • Now room for up to 5 initial rune spells on cult screen
  • Bug in updating existing passion from Cult fixed
  • Form validation added to Character name on first character creation page

I'm going to think about where to put the in-process character information. Do you have any thoughts? I'm leaning towards up at the top of the page or losing the image and adding to the left-most column.

This is a great tool. Thanks for making it & sharing, @Cgeist7.

I spent some time tinkering, and added the Kyger Litor cult. Is there a way to add Rune spells or cult references not already in the database? For example, Kyger Litor has Subere as an associated cult, which provides Attack Soul. I didn't see an option for adding new spells (but wouldn't be surprised if I missed it).

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

Hi @Crel,

At the moment, spells are hard-coded into the app, but I will start working on a way to allow user-created spells. It was always on the roadmap, but there were a bunch of bigger pieces that needed looking at until now.

You can associate cults once they are created in the system, which creates a bit of back and forth (I.e., you need to go and create Subere cult and then go back to Kyger Litor and add the association), but was the best way to allow for users to take the system in their own directions.

Feel free to add any issues or wants on the Trello: https://trello.com/b/cDEVQreh/runequest-app 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cgeist7 said:

You can associate cults once they are created in the system, which creates a bit of back and forth (I.e., you need to go and create Subere cult and then go back to Kyger Litor and add the association), but was the best way to allow for users to take the system in their own directions.

So all the un-detailed cults, like Three Bean Circus, need to be added as separate cults (and presumably will appear as selectable options)? Can they be flagged as unavailable, so that they cannot be chosen?

6 minutes ago, Cgeist7 said:

@PhilHibbs - correct. 

Right now, any created cults can be selected as an associated cult. 

It wouldn't be hard to set an unavailable flag. What's the use case for that?

I'm not sure. What's the point in linking associate cults? How do you handle spells from associate cults - do you model the association, or do you just add the spell to the available list for the receiving cult?

4 hours ago, Cgeist7 said:

On another note: I’m seeing some partially created characters. Is this because character creation is long or are folks experiencing errors?

I've got a partially created character. I stopped because the occupation & cult options I wanted to mess with weren't in the database, and I didn't have time to add more entries. I haven't experienced something which feels like an actual error yet.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

I found it frustrating that I could not go back and change my choice of cult, unless I'm missing how to do that. Also I'd like more flexibility on skill choices, for instance if I ask my GM "Can my Babeester Gor cultist put a cult skill choice bonus on Battle? It's a cult skill, but not in the starting set", and the GM says yes.

Oh, and you should put the standard Chaosium fan policy statement somewhere:

https://www.chaosium.com/fan-material-policy/

See Requirements 1.a.

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I found it frustrating that I could not go back and change my choice of cult, unless I'm missing how to do that. Also I'd like more flexibility on skill choices, for instance if I ask my GM "Can my Babeester Gor cultist put a cult skill choice bonus on Battle? It's a cult skill, but not in the starting set", and the GM says yes.

Oh, and you should put the standard Chaosium fan policy statement somewhere:

https://www.chaosium.com/fan-material-policy/

See Requirements 1.a.

Good to know. Thanks.  I've been thinking about the best ways to allow changing options and updating characters. 

Once a character is completed you can then select modify character and change anything or add more skills and passions, magic, etc. You should be able to make any modifications you need. 

Hi all,

I got another round of updates done tonight.

• Added character log to left side of the character creation screens so you can see what skills your character has as you go through the process
  • Added Rune spells from Bestiary (they are at the bottom of the list)
  • Add Lightwall as a Spirit Magic spell
  • Added the Chaosium legal notice as pointed out above
  • Added XP checks to POW, skills, passions and runes. Skills can be checked and will be saved as such when the owner clicks "Update State". Checked skills are highlighted blue on the modify Character screen and automatically unchecked if they are modified there.

Next up:

• Return to in-process characters
  • Sub-cults
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

How are you handling racial skill bases? Trolls are still getting base 5% Ride, it should be zero. My spreadsheet has all the racial bases, if that helps. They're in a hidden sheet called RaceSkills which you can un-hide.

Thanks Phil. I'll check it out. 

10 minutes ago, Cgeist7 said:

Thanks Phil. I'll check it out. 

I'm trying to think what other gotchas you are going to encounter, from personal experience.

Oh yeah, Darktongue. Trolls get Speak Own (Darktongue). Argan Argar gives Speak (Darktongue). Good luck figuring out how to deal with that!

Ha! I already split off the "Own" stuff. I have CoreStrings and UserStrings. Speak == Speak. UserString == Darktongue and then I put them together for the overall Skill name depending on whether or not it has a Userstring. 

Thanks though. I actually can't believe I didn't just use the spreadsheet for data... /facepalm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1