Cradle of Heroes (character creator app)

Cgeist7

Just added the ability to return to in-process character creation. 

If your character hasn't gone through all the character creation steps, it will give you the option to go back to the last uncompleted step instead of modifying the character.

This won't work for already created characters, but will apply to all new characters in the app. There are also user guides explaining this.

Next up:

• Sub-cults
  • Data validation using the Google Sheet

Added Sub-cults and made lots of code and small quality of life improvements.

Added Sub-cults for Orlanth Adventurous and Orlanth Thunderous.

Sub-cults basically combine the Sub-cults skills, rune spells and spirit magic with that of the parent cult and apply both to the character.

There were a bunch of back-end changes made to skills, so if you see something that isn't calculating correctly, please let me know.

I found and fixed a few bugs and tidied up the main layout. Everything should be running smoothly. 

Next update is still in the air as my game is tomorrow and I need to prep for that. I'm considering:

- Add new user created spells & skills

- Weapons including damage and HP tracking

- Markdown printable character sheets 

- NPC and creature creation - no steps, just a single page where you can create the critter with maybe 10 skills, a few passions, and say 5-10 spirit or rune magic plus description and notes. I'd probably need to code non-human hot locations as well. 

- Search for content

- Social authentication (sign in with Google)

Any preferences?

Another update just went live that allows social authentication using a Google account. You can now register and sign-in with a single click.

I also added in the remaining Occupations in the main book. All are now in the app.

I haven't heard back with any preferences, so I will most likely follow up with search or adding weapons.

Cheers!

Chris

Edited by Cgeist7
Added occupations
  • Like 1

Printable character sheets would be excellent.

I rolled up another NPC for my game with this, and it was incredibly quick. An NPC-specific creator could be useful, but I'd label it a luxury, not a need. Maybe a way to tag whether or not a rolled character is intended as an adventurer or as an NPC (for when browsing the roster). My ultimate wish-list for an NPC creator would be clicking a button that says "Rune Lord of Orlanth Adventurous" or whatever, and the sheet gains all the minimum skills and characteristics associated.

Is there a way to change a character's gear? I didn't see one--I want my NPC to have better armor than his occupation starts with.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

9 hours ago, Crel said:

Printable character sheets would be excellent.

I rolled up another NPC for my game with this, and it was incredibly quick. An NPC-specific creator could be useful, but I'd label it a luxury, not a need. Maybe a way to tag whether or not a rolled character is intended as an adventurer or as an NPC (for when browsing the roster). My ultimate wish-list for an NPC creator would be clicking a button that says "Rune Lord of Orlanth Adventurous" or whatever, and the sheet gains all the minimum skills and characteristics associated.

Is there a way to change a character's gear? I didn't see one--I want my NPC to have better armor than his occupation starts with.

Thanks for the feedback, Crel. You can change your characters gear as well as manage wounds, MP and experience checks for your character from the view character screen. Just make the change and click the "Save Play State" button. 

I think I've figured out how I want to handle weapons and attacks, so I'll tackle that next along with some Skill calculations and then I'll do the printable character sheet. 

One of the reasons I want an NPC generator is because it would serve for mounts, companions monsters and spirits as well. 

I'm also thinking of a GM dashboard: identify your PCs, opponents and track combat on a single page. 

Edited by Cgeist7
Added button to instructions.

The first round of the Attacks is not up and running. You can only access it for new characters, but I'll create the space to update in the next few days. This has also given me the opportunity to re-jig the view_character page, separating it into character and gameplay elements. I think this is cleaner, but am open to feedback.

You can see a completed character here: http://rq-web.herokuapp.com/view_character/164#gameplay

Other updates include:

• Track damage to weapons
  • Various bugfixes
  • Dodge & Jump added to all characters now and calculating properly

Screenshot at 2018-12-09 22:57:41.png

23 hours ago, Cgeist7 said:

I'm also thinking of a GM dashboard: identify your PCs, opponents and track combat on a single page. 

Maybe a tag system, so you can tag characters in your campaign?

What about an option to clone an existing character? Not sure if everyone would be happy if everything could be just copied by someone else. Perhaps exclude the picture and description.

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Maybe a tag system, so you can tag characters in your campaign?

What about an option to clone an existing character? Not sure if everyone would be happy if everything could be just copied by someone else. Perhaps exclude the picture and description.

Hi Phil,

A tag system is a good idea. I’ll start thinking about how to implement it.

You can clone any existing character on the Open Roster. Folks have the opportunity to make their content private from character creation or modify character screens. If you look at a character on the open roster, you can copy it to your own roster by selecting “Add to personal roster”. This adds the character, minus the image and makes it a private character until you’ve tweaked as desired.

• Like 1

Just pushed another update allowing folks to edit weapons and armor after character creation and add weapons and attacks to previously generated characters. The view character format seems to be working well, so it's staying the same. You can edit or add weapons & armor by clicking the "Weapons & Armor" button. 

Tracking weapon HP is done from the input fields for the weapon. You can save the current play state of your character by clicking the "Save Play State" button. This saves HPs, MPs, RPs, equipment, Weapon HP and experience checks on POW, skills, passions and runes.

Next up is user campaigns to help keeping characters together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RustK said:

Hello there :)

I began a month ago to work on some app just like yours ! I was wondering if it might already exist and I landed here ^^'.
I'll be please to talk a little bit further, I send you a PM straight away :)

Good good job anyway !

Responded with info and links to the repos. I'd love to see what you're working on. 🙂

Another quick update:

• Creation notes now added to give folks context they need while making a character (there are a LOT of edge cases)
  • Creation notes now appear during character creation
  • All Homelands from main book plus ducks and trolls are complete.
  • Connections between associated cults updated and some minor content tweaks made
  • You can remove skills from a character from the Modify Character screen by changing the skill value to 0.

Is there a way yet to record Runes & Techniques mastered for a sorcerer? I didn't see something.

Along the same lines, I've not seen a place to mark if a character is a shaman. Fetch's POW, spirit abilities, etc.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

7 hours ago, Crel said:

Is there a way yet to record Runes & Techniques mastered for a sorcerer? I didn't see something.

Along the same lines, I've not seen a place to mark if a character is a shaman. Fetch's POW, spirit abilities, etc.

Hi Crel,

Not yet. I’ve started work on creatures, which will allow folks to add spirits, creatures, mounts to their characters, but for the moment that info would need to go in the description field.

I was thinking the same thing for Runes & Techniques mastered, but it wouldn’t be too hard to set them up as fields for sorcery related occupations & cults. Is this something you’d like to see?

This is so useful I wish Chaosium would make this official in some way.

As for creating NPCs, there is a website doing that for Mythras/RQ6 and it's great, so having the same kind of templates for RQG would be a dream come true, moreso if, like the RQ6 NPC generator, fans could build their own templates and upload them onto the app/website for others to enjoy.

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

4 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

This is so useful I wish Chaosium would make this official in some way.

As for creating NPCs, there is a website doing that for Mythras/RQ6 and it's great, so having the same kind of templates for RQG would be a dream come true, moreso if, like the RQ6 NPC generator, fans could build their own templates and upload them onto the app/website for others to enjoy.

Thanks so much, Runeblogger. I'm really happy you like the app. I reached out to the developer behind the Mythras app and will see if they have any pointers for doing NPCs right. Thanks for sharing this info. The Mythras generator is an excellent tool!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cgeist7 said:

I was thinking the same thing for Runes & Techniques mastered, but it wouldn’t be too hard to set them up as fields for sorcery related occupations & cults. Is this something you’d like to see?

It seems to me (who knows nothing about programming) that it'd be a nice thing to add. But, I'd call it a luxury (with maybe an extra line of text saying 'put learned R&T in Description box for now'). I just imagine a Y/N trigger for characters around the implemented "Sorcery" skill. If they have one, add a set of boxes with Runes & Techniques. Otherwise, isn't on the page.

7 hours ago, Crel said:

It seems to me (who knows nothing about programming) that it'd be a nice thing to add. But, I'd call it a luxury (with maybe an extra line of text saying 'put learned R&T in Description box for now'). I just imagine a Y/N trigger for characters around the implemented "Sorcery" skill. If they have one, add a set of boxes with Runes & Techniques. Otherwise, isn't on the page.

That's pretty much exactly how it would work. 🙂

The issue is just one of which edge cases to cover. Assistant Shamans do +1 Spirit Damage. No-one else does. Do we add in a rule so anyone creating an occupation needs to read and possibly complete a box with this option?

I love the Runequest system - but it has a LOT of edge cases. 🙂

Nice work! Any chance you could include some simple instructions for setting up a development environment in the project README? I have never coded any Go, but I might still be able to do some simple pull requests, at least for the frontend.

And btw, at the moment Lhankor Mhy is spelled incorrectly in the cult title. In the description text it is in its correct form.

On 12/23/2018 at 6:07 AM, spequlator said:

Nice work! Any chance you could include some simple instructions for setting up a development environment in the project README? I have never coded any Go, but I might still be able to do some simple pull requests, at least for the frontend.

And btw, at the moment Lhankor Mhy is spelled incorrectly in the cult title. In the description text it is in its correct form.

Will do and thanks for the catch with Lhankor Mhy!

Hi all,

I've done a bunch of thinking about how to handle NPCs and creatures in the app and wanted to run a proposal by the folks here to see if it works for you.

In short, this allows folks to create standard NPC templates (Caravan Guard or Dragon Snail, for example) and then generate one or more NPCs or creatures based on the template. Created templates can be re-used by other users and the finished characters can be added to a specific campaign. Tags will be applied to templates and NPCs to make searching easier.

Once a template is done, anyone can use it through a single button click and selecting a template from a drop-down list.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

I've also gotten in touch with Skoll - creator of the great RQ6 NPC generator and the outline here might change depending on how discussions with him go.

Creatures & NPCs proposal.

Users can create re-usable NPC templates.  Templates allow the random generation of NPCs and creatures. Randomly generated NPCs and creatures can then be edited to taste by users and added to their campaign.

NPC Template

Page 1 - Template Basics

Page 2 - Allies & Runes

Page 3 - Magic & Powers
Page 4 - Details
Page 5 - Customisation (optional)

Page 1 - Template Basics
- Name
- Role
- Description
- Tags
- Statistic Frames
- Hit Locations Template

Page 2 - Allies & Runes
- Affiliations (3)
- Elemental Runes (3)
- Power Runes (3)
- Passions (3)
- Cults (3)

Page 3 - Magic & Powers
- Rune Magic (6)
- Spirit Magic (6)
- Powers (6)

Page 4 - Details
- Move (int)
- Attributes (configured)
- Skills (6)
- Melee Attacks (4)
- Ranged Attacks (4)
- Equipment (10)

Page 5 - Customization (optional)
- Ability to roll an NPC using the template and edit to taste. 

Edited by Cgeist7
Update description