Cradle of Heroes (character creator app)

Cgeist7

• 3 months later...

Hi @Todd@Chaosium @Bill the barbarian - the update is live and personal skills are now optional.

I also pushed the update for an API that sets the stage for a more reactive front-end with live updates for characters rather than needing a change.

Finally, I fixed a bug with homelands that added a bonus to Power Runes rather than Elemental Runes. This also means that Giants are a viable homeland. :)

My game has recently gone to Red Cow lands, so you can check out Willandring here.

@svensson - thanks! It's a lot of work, but lots of fun too. I'm just happy folks are enjoying it and using it. I finished up my most recent project, so will probably start refactoring and updating this again.

Cheers!

C

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, this is just the thing we've been needing.

I got HeroLab for my Pathfinder Characters and it's been a huge help given Paizo's release schedule. But I won't lie, that crap ain't cheap. So I can really see the need for this utility. Like I said, THANKS for all the hard work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great application,  thanks.  One feature I would like to see would be the ability to filter skills on the final sheet by some threshold so that when I am creating an NPC i can see only the skills that meet a certain level.  i.e. all skills greater than 50%.  I tried to add a task to the trello board but it only offers watch in the action list.  I do have an account.

Edited by Chekmx

4 hours ago, Chekmx said:

Great application,  thanks.  One feature I would like to see would be the ability to filter skills on the final sheet by some threshold so that when I am creating an NPC i can see only the skills that meet a certain level.  i.e. all skills greater than 50%.  I tried to add a task to the trello board but it only offers watch in the action list.  I do have an account.

I've been thinking about a few output options - PDF, text, etc. One of these would be a character summary. A threshold could definitely be part of that.

Sorry about Trello. I'll open up the board. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay on this. I was travelling for a few weeks. I've made @BalazarLightson's requested update and overhauled the feature for updating magic.

There is now an "Edit Magic" button on the View Character screen. Edit Magic is now a one-stop shop where you can:

• Modify Power
  • Update your primary cult's rank, rune points
  • Add, change or update rune magic & spirit magic
  • Add up to 3 additional cults and track their ranks and rune points.

Other changes include:

• showing additional cults, ranks & rune points on View Character screen
  • Copy character image when you "Add Character to my Roster"
  • Edit: fixed an issue that was slowing down the load of personal rosters

That's it for now. You can see an updated character here:

https://rq-web.herokuapp.com/view_character/136

Edited by Cgeist7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just pushed another update that provides a character summary view similar to what @Chekmx requested.

This still gives almost all the info but only displays skills of over 40% and tightens up the overall character view using tables so that everything fits on a single screen. This is still in testing, but may eventually become the default view.

There are a bunch of other small improvements behind the scenes as well and you can now track rune points from additional cults from this screen.

Here's a sample character - Bandit initiate of Eurmal: http://rq-web.herokuapp.com/summary_view_character/2365

If anyone has any suggestions for how to improve this, please let me know.

Cheers!

C

Edited by Cgeist7
Added sample
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Cgeist7 said:

If anyone has any suggestions for how to improve this, please let me know.

Very cool. Thanks a lot!

An idea would be to make it possible for users to filter what kind of NPCs you want to get. For example, show me only Sartarites, show me only Assistant Shamans, show me only Waha initiates, and show me only two of them. I have no idea of how feasible that is, though. 😊

Edited by Runeblogger

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

1 minute ago, Runeblogger said:

Very cool. An idea would be to make it posible for users to filter what kind of NPCs you want to get. For example, show me only Sartarites, show me only Assistant Shamans, show me only Waha initiates, and show me only two of them. I have no idea of how feasible that is, though. 😊

Very. Been planning just that. Should be coming up soon. 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

Very cool. Thanks a lot!

An idea would be to make it possible for users to filter what kind of NPCs you want to get. For example, show me only Sartarites, show me only Assistant Shamans, show me only Waha initiates, and show me only two of them. I have no idea of how feasible that is, though. 😊

And done.

You can now filter by Homeland, Occupation and Cult or any combination of the three (All Esrolian Light Infantry who worship Maran Gor).

You can do this from the open roster and from your personal roster screens.

https://rq-web.herokuapp.com/

I also updated the summary page skills so that you can toggle between primary skills (>40%) or secondary skills (<41%).

Cheers!

C

• Thanks 2

Finished the last bit of work to help people find the right characters by adding a live text search.

You can now start typing the name, homeland, cult, etc. and the app will start live filtering. This should do it until we get a few thousand characters, at which point it will probably need an update.

Cheers!

C

Screenshot from 2019-05-19 14-47-10.png

• Like 1

The next update will be adding alternate runes (Plant, Mastery, Dragon, etc) followed by Encounters. 

Encounters will allow GMs (I.e. me) to add characters on 2+ sides of an encounter & track them during a combat. 

Because this is totally new functionality, it will probably take a bit of time and will need a bunch of testing. 

The initial implementation of the other Form runes and Conditional runes is done. You can add them to characters from the Edit screen after character creation is finished.

I'll be updating Homelands next so we can create characters like Elves or Dragonewts who have these runes from the start.

Cheers!

C

I just finished the MVP feature set for Factions, which is the precursor to encounters.

Factions allow users to set some basic descriptions and then add up to 10 of their characters to the faction. 

When encounters are created, you can then just add 2 or more factions to the encounter and you'll be able to track updates to all of the characters from a single screen.

The feature is live now, but is still in testing.

I also made the new character view the default.

Cheers!

C

faction1.png

faction2.png

faction3.png

• Like 2

Beta functionality for Encounters are now live. Encounters can be created by adding one or more factions. When viewed, you'll have access to a bunch of combat & tracking related details for all characters in the encounter. This is no-where near as clean as I hope to eventually get it. It will take tweaking and some other eyes to get it right.

Also - there is no ability to save an encounter in process - if you leave the screen, HP etc. will reset.

You can access Factions & Encounters through the new layout tabs and via Add Content.

So a question: How much information do you want to see on an encounter screen? Everything? Minimalist? Is it important to track info and save back to characters? 

Thanks!

C

encounter.png

encounter2.png

• Like 2

I went through and re-vamped the encounter pages to match the general layout of the NPC sheets in the RQiG GM Screen Pack. I still haven't added in saving, but the pages should be pretty functional and hold a lot of useful information.

A sample encounter here: https://rq-web.herokuapp.com/view_encounter/christopherallison-battle-on-the-banks#Lunar Patrol-christopherallison-khelus-white-brow-0

The next feature will be saving character updates through encounters. I'll then probably go back to the work I did on creatures, spirits and simple NPCs.

Cheers!

C

encounter_update2.png

• Like 2

The first live updating on the encounter pages are now live. This means that when you modify hit location HP, the overall character HP is modified as well without needing to save or reload the event. 

You can see this on any of your encounters. Note that factions can only be created with characters in your roster, but that you can copy any Open characters to your roster with a single button click from the view character screen. 

I'll be updating primary character sheets with this as well in the next few days. 

While doing this work, I started asking myself whether the summary character sheet might also be useful in factions. Which also begs the question of why have an Encounter at all when you could just have 2 or more factions open in different tabs. 

So a question to the community: do you see value in having encounter pages or should we just keep it simple and have factions as a grouping of characters?

Thanks!

C

• Like 1