Merudo

Skill for riding a motorcycle: Drive Auto or Ride?

The rule of thumb that I have used is: If you sit astride it then you use Ride, if you sit inside it then you use Drive Auto.

So, horses, camels, bison, bicycles, motorcycles and hoverbikes use Ride, but cars, tractors, tanks and so on use Drive.

Elephants are an odd case, as you can sit in a howdah, but if I see any PCs on an elephant, I'll make a decision then.

Things like Skateboards, Snowboards, Surfboards and Hoverboards would use a Board skill that is, as yet, undefined. 

You could go as far as having different skills for Skis, Boards, Skates and so on, if you wanted, I suppose.

One thing is for sure, if you have listed all the modes of transport that you can think of and have assigned a skill to each, some player will come along and ask "What about such and such?" which you would not have thought about.

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

The rule of thumb that I have used is: If you sit astride it then you use Ride, if you sit inside it then you use Drive Auto.

So, horses, camels, bison, bicycles, motorcycles and hoverbikes use Ride, but cars, tractors, tanks and so on use Drive.

Elephants are an odd case, as you can sit in a howdah, but if I see any PCs on an elephant, I'll make a decision then.

Things like Skateboards, Snowboards, Surfboards and Hoverboards would use a Board skill that is, as yet, undefined. 

You could go as far as having different skills for Skis, Boards, Skates and so on, if you wanted, I suppose.

One thing is for sure, if you have listed all the modes of transport that you can think of and have assigned a skill to each, some player will come along and ask "What about such and such?" which you would not have thought about.

So ride-on lawnmowers and quad-bikes are ride (although the skill to use them is totally unrelated to horses or animals)? Or are you breaking out your ride skill into Ride Animal and Ride Mechanical?

For unusual modes of transport my players were using a punt the other night to escape from thralls of Cthulhu (in my reskinned Still Waters on the Blackwater Estuary in Essex). They were not very good at it - and only managed to make it to the bank of the creek because one person was throwing books at the thralls and one was firing a shotgun.

1 hour ago, andyl said:

So ride-on lawnmowers and quad-bikes are ride (although the skill to use them is totally unrelated to horses or animals)? Or are you breaking out your ride skill into Ride Animal and Ride Mechanical?

I just use Ride, otherwise you have to ask "Is riding a horse the same as riding a camel?" and have loads of variations of Ride.

• Like 1

I know how to drive, ride a horse and have a motorcycle license. They're all three very, very different, and IMO should have separate skills.

Instinctively: Ride

In game: whichever skill most players* had actually raised during character creation.

* as in players had raised the skill of their make-believe characters, I wouldn't be looking at RL driver's licences or cycling proficiency badges

I have a scoot. It's totally different than driving. But I would include it as driving. All this "realism" stuff is great in theory, but if you divide this stuff too narrowly, it leaves us with a lot of skills that nobody takes, something that is already a problem in Call.