Additional Sorcery Spells

Ultor

I've attempted to put together a few more Sorcery spells, some of which represent adaptations of old favorite spells from previous versions of the rules (ETA: many of these are conversions from RQ6/Mythras), while others are completely new. None of these have been playtested yet except Tendrils of Hell. Feedback gratefully received.

Abjure [Rune] - Separate Man [Element]

Allows the recipient to do without an essential element for the duration of the spell. For instance, Abjure Air means the recipient does not need to breathe. Abjure Fire means the recipient does not need warmth, and is immune to all Cold and Fire damage. Abjure Earth means the recipient “floats” above the ground and may cross an abyss, etc., as if walking on air. Abjure Water means the recipient is immune to the effects of thirst and may walk on water. Abjure Darkness means that the recipient can see in even pitch blackness as if it were daylight. These spells may be cast on a Protective Circle.

Agreement - Combine Harmony Truth

Cast on the reaching of an agreement, the parties concerned (who should be within the range of the spell when it is cast) will abide by the agreement for the duration of the spell. All other parties and the spell caster will know if the spell is dispelled on one party.

Animate [Substance] - Combine Movement [Element]

This spell imbues an inanimate object with the ability to move. The wizard can animate a volume in SIZ equal to the Strength of the spell (or cubic meters in the case of insubstantial elements). Default movement rate is 1, but that can be increased by devoting extra MPs on a one-for-one basis.The animated substance can produce “limbs” that can perform skills at half the rating of the magician. Damage is calculated according to twice the SIZ of the substance. This spell requires extreme concentration, meaning an INTx1 roll is needed if the caster is damaged.

Banish Spirit - Dispel Spirit

The spell must overcome the MPs of the spirit with its Strength, and its strength must be at least half the spirit’s MPs. If successful, it banishes the spirit back to the Spirit World. It cannot be cast on a spirit trapped or bound to a physical object, but will banish a spirit possessing an individual.

Banish Elemental - Dispel Spirit [Element]

The spell must overcome the MPs of the elemental with its Strength, and its strength must be at least half the elemental’s MPs. If successful, it dissipates the elemental.

Bless Marriage - Combine Harmony Fertility

Ensure a happy relationship for the married parties for the duration. [[Pregnancy will result if desired.]] 

Blindness - Separate Fire/Sky Man

If this overcomes the POW of the target, he/she is struck blind for the duration of the spell.

Boon of Harana Ilor - Summon Harmony

The target lays down any weapons and ceases any offensive action. Out of combat, this resolves any argument or disagreement in the caster’s favor. This spell may be combined in a Multispell.

Boon of Larnste - Summon Movement

This spell augments the movement rate of anything it is cast on for the duration. The augment is equal to the half the strength of the spell and can affect targets up to a maximum SIZ of three times the strength of the spell (thus a spell with strength 6 can affect a person of SIZ 18, or two people of SIZ 10 and 8, giving them +3 to their Movement rate). This spell does not boost Dexterity or give a bonus to SR.

Curse of Acos - Dispel Movement

This spell reduces the movement rate of anything it is cast on for the duration. The reduction is equal to the half the strength of the spell and can affect targets up to a maximum SIZ of three times the strength of the spell (thus a spell with strength 6 can affect a person of SIZ 18, or two people of SIZ 10 and 8, giving them -3 to their Movement rate). This spell does not reduce Dexterity or increase SR.

Curse of Uleria - Separate Earth Life

If the target fails to resist, he/she loses all sex drive for the duration of the spell and will not be able to “perform” or conceive. With long duration, this is an effective curse against nobility, Earth priestesses, or the tosser who spilled your pint.

Dessicate - Separate Water Life

If the target’s POW is overcome, he/she suffers the effects of extreme thirst, losing 1 general HP per hour for the duration of the spell. No sustenance will slake the thirst until the duration is over or the spell is dispelled and healing only delays the inevitable. This spell is an effective assassination spell when sufficiently powerful, and is often used by Arkati wizards.

Diminish [Characteristic] - Dispel [Element]

Reduces the target’s affected characteristic by 1 point per strength of the spell to a minimum of 1, if POW is overcome. The diminishment is temporary, for the duration of the spell. Attributes and bonuses are temporarily recalculated, weapons may need to be dropped if STR is affected, and Encumbrance etc may become a factor. If POW is diminished, MPs will not drop below 1 even if MPs are fewer than POW. A target affected by Diminish SIZ shrinks, which may cause clothing or armor to drop off.

Draw [Creature] - Command Beast

All creatures of the specified type within the range of the spell move towards a target (also within range) for the duration of the spell. The caster does not control the creatures once they arrive at the target unless another method is used. This spell is often used as a curse to infest a person or home with vermin.

Enlarge [Object] - Summon [Rune]

This spell increases the size of inanimate objects - the rune being appropriate to the object (plant for wooden objects, earth for stone etc.) The object grows proportionally, by a factor equivalent to the Strength of the spell, so a small rock subject to an Enlarge Stone 7 spell would grow by 7 times in height, width, and length. The spell may affect items up to 3 times the spell’s strength in SIZ.  When the spell duration expires, the target returns to its original size.

Fly - Combine Air Movement

The target may be transported through the air by the caster for the duration of the spell. Each point of strength allows 3pts of SIZ to be transported (so a SIZ 15 human will require 5 points of strength). The movement rate is 6, but each point of strength not allocated to SIZ may increase this by 1. If the caster needs to maneuver the target, she should use her Air or Movement rune to succeed. A target may be slammed to the ground, with falling rules applying. [[Needs playtesting - falling damage may be OP]]

Holdfast - Command Stasis

Stops a target or object from moving or being moved for the duration of the spell. No amount of strength will move the target - the spell must be dispelled. It affects objects of up to 3 times the strength of the spell in SIZ.

Palsy - Summon Death [or Stasis?]

When cast on an opponent, this spell targets a random hit location. If the strength of the spell overcomes the HP of the location, that location is incapacitated for the duration of the spell. Limbs stop working, both legs stop working in the case of the abdomen, and the opponent falls unconscious in the case of the chest or head. No damage is incurred, but the spell must be dispelled to get the body part working properly again.

Project [Sense] - Combine Movement [Element(s)]

Allows the caster to use the appropriate sense at distance. The sense starts at the caster’s body and moves at a rate of 12, up to the maximum range of the spell (so 900m per turn). The caster must concentrate to maintain the projection, but may also use it as appropriate to cast spells. Additional Runes may be added to represent additional senses, e.g. Sky, Darkness, and Earth to allow Sight, Listen, and Search senses. The projected sense “point” is visible to such magic as Second Sight, and the caster may be targeted through it as if within range.

Punishing Wind - Combine Movement Air

The equivalent of Finger of Fire for air. The “fingers” are continuous blasts of air. If they do damage, the target must succeed in a test of SIZ vs the strength of the spell to avoid knockback as per p.224.

Ratslaff’s Last Laugh - Summon Combine Disorder Illusion

An area effect spell, this causes all who fail to resist the strength of the spell with their Magic Points to become argumentative and to lie. This will probably start fights and cause lasting resentments. It is commonly used by scheming Arkati sorcerers in Ralios to promote circumstances they can take advantage of.

Rebuild - Separate Disorder Earth

Repairs any cracks, fallen stones, tumbled walls etc, within the area of effect up to a SIZ limit equivalent to 3 times the Strength of the spell.

Regenerate - Summon Life

Cast on a target who has died, this “rebuilds” the target, bringing them back to life in a new body formed from the wreckage of the old (the old body disappears). The strength of the spell must exceed the highest characteristic of the dead target. All characteristics, etc., are rerolled, but the target retains skills, knowledge, spells, etc. Sex is rolled randomly. A cult may need some persuasion that the regenerated character is who he/she says they are. A wizard that knows they are dying may cast it on themselves to avoid death. [[Yes, this is Dr Who regeneration. Sue me.]]

Rock Barrage - Combine Movement Earth

The equivalent of Fingers of Fire for the earth element. The wizard creates a continuous stream of small rocky projectiles that cumulatively inflict damage.

Sculpt [Element] - Command Combine Stasis [Element]

Allows the caster to shape an element into the form the wizard desires for the duration of the spell. The maximum volume affected is equivalent to 3 times the strength of the spell in SIZ or the strength in cubic meters for insubstantial targets. Artistic or artificial qualities are determined by an appropriate Craft, Lore, or Devise roll. Variants of this spell exist for Plant and Beast runes, allowing the caster to “sculpt” clothing made from fiber, hides, or wool.

Shrink [Object] - Dispel [Rune]

The opposite of Enlarge. This spell decreases the size of inanimate objects - the rune being appropriate to the object (plant for wooden objects, earth for stone etc.) The object shrinks proportionally, by a factor equivalent to the Strength of the spell, so a boulder subject to a Shrink 7 spell would decrease 7 times in height, width, and length. The spell may affect items up to 3 times the spell’s strength in SIZ. When the spell duration expires, the target returns to its original size.

Summon Boggle - Summon Disorder

Conjures up a Boggle, a spirit of Disorder, for the duration of the spell, which will do its best to create disorder. Boggles defy rules and are immune to anything anyone might try to throw at them. They are subject only to the dictates of Maximum Game Fun. A Boggle might, for instance, be dispelled by being tricked into saying its name backwards.

Tendrils of Hell - Combine Movement Darkness

The equivalent of Finger of Fire for freezing Darkness.

Venom - Command Death

If the caster overcomes the target’s POW, he inflicts a Poison attack with a POT equal to the Strength of the spell. Poison rules apply as per p.157.

Wakboth’s Seed - Combine Fertility Chaos

Cast on a pregnant target, this spell will ensure the offspring is born with a Chaos Feature if it is born within the duration of the spell.It is the offspring’s POW that needs to be overcome, not the mother’s.

Water Festival - Combine Movement Water

The equivalent of Fingers of Fire for water. The tendrils force their way into the mouth and nose to inflict a form of drowning damage. They cannot affect anyone who does not need to breathe.

Edited by Ultor
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ultor said:

This spell imbues an inanimate object with the ability to move. The wizard can animate a volume in SIZ equal to the Strength of the spell (or cubic meters in the case of insubstantial elements). Default movement rate is 1, but that can be increased by devoting extra MPs on a one-for-one basis.The animated substance can produce “limbs” that can perform skills at half the rating of the magician. Damage is calculated according to twice the SIZ of the substance. This spell requires extreme concentration, meaning an INTx1 roll is needed if the caster is damaged.

Ah, the Sorcerer's Apprentice spell...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ultor said:

This spell may be combined in a Multispell.

RQG's sorcery no longer has multispelling.

I really like the Abjure spell, but I think it could be more precise. (I should note here that I have a fondness for overprecision in game text.) For example, can the target of Abjure Earth functionally fly--airwalk into the sky? Since they could cross a ravine, that implies to me that this isn't restricted to hovering just above the ground. Are they locked to the same altitude as when they cast? Awkward in Boldhome & other Sartarite cities--which might not be a bad thing.

9 hours ago, Ultor said:

Default movement rate is 1, but that can be increased by devoting extra MPs on a one-for-one basis.

I think it would make more sense to phrase this in terms of spell Strength. Perhaps something like "Each added point of spell strength allows the sorcerer to either animate an additional point of SIZ, or give the animated object an additional point of MOV."

9 hours ago, Ultor said:

Boon of Larnste - Summon Movement

This spell augments the movement rate of anything it is cast on for the duration. The augment is equal to the half the strength of the spell and can affect targets up to a maximum SIZ of three times the strength of the spell (thus a spell with strength 6 can affect a person of SIZ 18, or two people of SIZ 10 and 8, giving them +3 to their Movement rate). This spell does not boost Dexterity or give a bonus to SR.

I suggest avoiding "augment" here, since it has an actual definition in RQG's rules text. The way I read this, a really big target would by default end up with a really big bonus to their MOV. Ex, a SIZ 30 creature would require strength 10 minimum to affect it, but would immediately get +5 to its MOV. Additionally, I wonder if the Combine technique might make more sense here? I see both Summon & Combine having valid explanations.

9 hours ago, Ultor said:

Curse of Acos - Dispel Movement

Likewise, I can see this making sense with the Separate technique.

9 hours ago, Ultor said:

If the target’s POW is overcome, he/she suffers the effects of extreme thirst, losing 1 general HP per hour for the duration of the spell. No sustenance will slake the thirst until the duration is over or the spell is dispelled and healing only delays the inevitable.

Could increasing Dessicate's strength worsen the effects? I'm thinking of the experience of dehydration, where you're just kinda thirsty, then parched, and so on. Something about strength altering the rate at which the victim becomes unquenchably thirsty... I suppose it could work as-is, just with a simple notion of Separate, since you'd need to dump a lot of MP into the spell for it to really be effective. (I'm thinking aloud here.) 

9 hours ago, Ultor said:

Palsy - Summon Death [or Stasis?]

I like using Stasis here. Any simple Technique + Rune combination for a killing spell seems to me like it should be more than "just" a sorcery spell. Even though these are given without context, I feel like a sorcery spell which can "summon death" would be something big and grand, like "Look out for that magus, he can summon death!"

9 hours ago, Ultor said:

Enlarge [Object] - Summon [Rune]

This spell increases the size of inanimate objects - the rune being appropriate to the object (plant for wooden objects, earth for stone etc.) The object grows proportionally, by a factor equivalent to the Strength of the spell, so a small rock subject to an Enlarge Stone 7 spell would grow by 7 times in height, width, and length. The spell may affect items up to 3 times the spell’s strength in SIZ.  When the spell duration expires, the target returns to its original size.

This seems scary powerful in creative hands. How do these increases interact with other beings? For example, enlarging a SIZ 18 rock with Enlarge Stone 6 to be SIZ 102 while in a 3m x 3m x 3m space. Enlarge Stone 10 on a SIZ 30 brick in a city or castle wall would increase it to SIZ 300, probably shattering the wall entirely.

9 hours ago, Ultor said:

resist the strength of the spell with their Magic Points to become argumentative and to lie.

RQG wording would reference their POW being overcome.

10 hours ago, Ultor said:

Regenerate - Summon Life

Cast on a target who has died, this “rebuilds” the target, bringing them back to life in a new body formed from the wreckage of the old (the old body disappears). The strength of the spell must exceed the highest characteristic of the dead target. All characteristics, etc., are rerolled, but the target retains skills, knowledge, spells, etc. Sex is rolled randomly. A cult may need some persuasion that the regenerated character is who he/she says they are. A wizard that knows they are dying may cast it on themselves to avoid death. [[Yes, this is Dr Who regeneration. Sue me.]]

At first I disliked this because I associate "Regenerate" with regrowing limbs. But as I think on it, I'm more and more coming to enjoy it. I like how it differentiates sorcerous resurrection from divine resurrection. I think it should be more specific (because of course I do), particularly in how it works to dodge death. Just have a casting of this spell on one's person at the time of death? After all, most people--even sorcerers--don't have the advantage of cinematic & foretold deaths ;). I also suggest that the new body is physical rerolls only; INT, POW, and CHA remain the same to represent that it's the same basic person. A clause that any enchantments or spells active on the target are no longer in place might be useful (to preemptively avoid player arguments). Also, how much time does it take for the target to regenerate? I suggest a full turn (5min, 25 melee rounds). Drawing from Dr. Who, is there an adjustment period? Not the full "surprise, regrew my hand cuz MAGIC" shtick, but perhaps a temporary penalty to physical skills the first few days/week regenerated?

I have similar thoughts on Venom as I did for Palsy, but I'm not sure a better way to runically describe the RQ3 spell.

I really enjoy Summon Boggle. I don't have any useful comments about it, but it amuses me. Sounds like a nightmare for both the players and the GM.

10 hours ago, Ultor said:

The equivalent of Fingers of Fire for water. The tendrils force their way into the mouth and nose to inflict a form of drowning damage. They cannot affect anyone who does not need to breathe.

Can it affect creatures who breathe water?

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

2 hours ago, Crel said:

Additionally, I wonder if the Combine technique might make more sense here? I see both Summon & Combine having valid explanations.

I expect that different schools will teach more or less the same spell but with different techniques - Combine vs Summon, Dispel vs Separate, Stasis vs Movement, Harmony vs Fertility etc.

4 hours ago, Crel said:

RQG's sorcery no longer has multispelling.

Thanks, @Crel for all those helpful comments. I'll take a look at them tonight and edit the OP to reflect them where appropriate.

My draft advanced sorcery rules contemplate restoring either Multispell or RQ6/Mythras Targets. I'm still in two minds about that - I meant to take out all references to Multispell for this post and clearly missed one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I expect that different schools will teach more or less the same spell but with different techniques - Combine vs Summon, Dispel vs Separate, Stasis vs Movement, Harmony vs Fertility etc.

I suspect that's right. There's more than one way to skin Yinkin.

The fly spell is all and all much better than its rune equivalent, which I feel breaks setting convention. Sorcerers should struggle to be better flyers than Orlanthi.

At the minimum I'd reduce the strength to SIZ tradeoff drastically to  1:2, 1:1, or even 4:3. I also don't like the use of a rune in place of a skill check. Orlanthi get away with that because they're channeling a god, sorcerers should have to learn it the hard way.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I figured I'd revive this to talk about some spell ideas rather than starting a new thread. 

How many runes and techniques can be combined in one spell? I noticed that the rulebook gets up to four and they start to get pretty potent, that's where Castback is now at, which is sorta akin to the divine Reflection. Which gives us some sort of a comparison point. 

I was thinking Command, Summon, Truth, and Death could be a sorcerous Sword Trance. It would cost 4 pts base and then scale slowly like 5% or 10% to hit per 4 points of additional spell Strength. Or 5% at 1 pt, 10% at 4 total Strength and +10% for each additional 4 pts. It would sync up with Boon of Kargan Tor that way. Not OP or game breaking but, a solid advantage.  Switch out Death for Fire/Sky to Augment Bows or Spears. Maybe it is too weak, 8 STR is only 20% to hit. 

Seperate/Death/Truth/Command/ and maybe one other Technique or Rune for a spell that doesn't 'Heal' damage but, lets you 'Ignore' like berserk up to Spell Strength in damage to a limb or something,  Storm Bull Withstands the Onslaught or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Seperate/Death/Truth/Command/ and maybe one other Technique or Rune for a spell that doesn't 'Heal' damage but, lets you 'Ignore' like berserk up to Spell Strength in damage to a limb or something,

Ignore damage could be something like Summon Illusion (of) Life (aka Fertility). As usual, spell strength needs to overcome the damage done to the location.

There could be other solutions to this dilemma, e.g. a spell like Distribute Damage, which should probably have Command Death Disorder (or both Summon and Dispel) and transfer one point of damage per spell strength to a random other hit location, or all the damage if the spell strength overcomes the damage sustained. (Involves a lot of D20 rolling...)

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 12/7/2018 at 11:02 PM, Scott A said:

The fly spell is all and all much better than its rune equivalent, which I feel breaks setting convention. Sorcerers should struggle to be better flyers than Orlanthi.

At the minimum I'd reduce the strength to SIZ tradeoff drastically to  1:2, 1:1, or even 4:3. I also don't like the use of a rune in place of a skill check. Orlanthi get away with that because they're channeling a god, sorcerers should have to learn it the hard way.

There is a good way of correcting this imbalance.  Change the name of the spell to Boon of Umath.  The first part of the spell strength is used to get the caster up and flying i.e. 6 SIZ per Spell Strength, but at movement 1.  All subsequent spell strength adds 2pts of movement.  This will cut down on the duration, and effectiveness of the spell.  This would mean that sorcerers would likely prefer to use the spell to make Dancing Sword effects a la telekinesis, that trade spell strength for damage bonus.

These spells are great and have got me thinking.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Joerg said:

Ignore damage could be something like Summon Illusion (of) Life (aka Fertility). As usual, spell strength needs to overcome the damage done to the location.

If you are just ignoring the damage then there has to be an advantage over healing, is it that it overcomes multiple wounds within the duration?

9 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

If you are just ignoring the damage then there has to be an advantage over healing, is it that it overcomes multiple wounds within the duration?

Yes, this distribution of incoming damage would remain for the duration of the spell. Anything you suffer is just a bunch of flesh wounds, unless you reroll the same location too often. No disabled limbs despite high amounts of damage.

Armor would be deducted once, for the original hit zone. The rest is internal distribution.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 12/6/2018 at 12:29 AM, Ultor said:

Shouldn't it be 'Command, Combine, Movement, Element'? As you have to give order and command the moving target?

Also, what could be the effect on Air?

• Like 2

Boon of Harana Ilor - Summon Harmony

The target lays down any weapons and ceases any offensive action. Out of combat, this resolves any argument or disagreement in the caster’s favor. This spell may be combined in a Multispell.

I imagine that any offensive action towards the target will break the spell...

Here's my take on the various other spells implied by Enhance Int. They're roughly balanced against the spirit magic spells.

Enhance STR

[Air][Summon]
2 Points
Touch, Passive, Temporal

This spell temporarily increases the STR of the target by 1. Every 2 levels of strength added to the spell increases the target’s STR by +1. Thus, if the spell’s strength is increased to 5, it adds +3 to the target’s STR for the duration of the spell. This spell can increase the target’s STR beyond species maximum

Enhance DEX

[Water][Summon]
2 Points
Touch, Passive, Temporal

This spell temporarily increases the DEX of the target by 1. Every 4 levels of strength added to the spell increases the target’s DEX by +1. Thus, if the spell’s strength is increased to 9, it adds +3 to the target’s DEX for the duration of the spell. This spell can increase the target’s DEX beyond species maximum

Enhance CON

[Earth][Summon]
2 Points
Touch, Passive, Temporal

This spell temporarily increases the CON of the target by 1. Every 4 levels of strength added to the spell increases the target’s CON by +1. Thus, if the spell’s strength is increased to 9, it adds +3 to the target’s CON for the duration of the spell. This spell can increase the target’s CON beyond species maximum

Enhance SIZ

[Dark][Summon]
2 Points
Touch, Passive, Temporal

This spell temporarily increases the SIZ of the target by 1. Every 2 levels of strength added to the spell increases the target’s SIZ by +1. Thus, if the spell’s strength is increased to 5, it adds +3 to the target’s SIZ for the duration of the spell. This spell can increase the target’s SIZ beyond species maximum. This spell does not, however, increase the size of whatever the target is wearing. A target wearing restrictive clothing or armor may suffer damage or be incapacitated, at the GM’s discretion.

Enhance MP

[Moon][Summon]
2 Points
Touch, Passive, Temporal

This spell temporarily increases the maximum magic points of the target by 1. Every 2 levels of strength added to the spell increases the target’s max MP by +1. Thus, if the spell’s strength is increased to 5, it adds +3 to the target’s max MP for the duration of the spell. This spell does NOT provide any additional MP at the time of casting, but MP recovery rates are based upon the new maximum. Any MP left over the maximum when this spell expires remain, but do not regenerate. 

It is a source of great frustration to lunar sorcerers that they have been unable to create a true Enhance POW spell, despite great efforts. Unfriendly traditions point to this failure as proof of the moon rune’s lesser status.

Edited by Scott A
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scott A said:

It is a source of great frustration to lunar sorcerers that they have been unable to create a true Enhance POW spell, despite great efforts. Unfriendly traditions point to this failure as proof of the moon rune’s lesser status.

Nice idea. The spells also are nice.

Kloster

On 12/26/2018 at 1:28 AM, Bilharzia said:

Much of this is a straight lift from the current Mythras sorcery rules.

Indeed. I'm converting from the RQ6/Mythras system so needed as close a facsimile as possible within the new rules. I'll edit the original post to reflect that omission.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:25 AM, Darius West said:

There is a good way of correcting this imbalance.  Change the name of the spell to Boon of Umath.  The first part of the spell strength is used to get the caster up and flying i.e. 6 SIZ per Spell Strength, but at movement 1.  All subsequent spell strength adds 2pts of movement.  This will cut down on the duration, and effectiveness of the spell.  This would mean that sorcerers would likely prefer to use the spell to make Dancing Sword effects a la telekinesis, that trade spell strength for damage bonus.

Excellent suggestion. The idea that the sorcerers are manipulating primal air (ie Umath) makes sense as well (although in my Glorantha, Umath somehow became Humakt when he lost his air powers after his conflict with Shargash, so I'll need to work on that...)

On 12/26/2018 at 9:05 AM, Manu said:

Shouldn't it be 'Command, Combine, Movement, Element'? As you have to give order and command the moving target?

Also, what could be the effect on Air?

Yes, Command is probably necessary. There could be a version without Command that just sets them off at random, like Firestorm/Blizzard spells in certain games.

I imagine Air could create a Skyrim-style "Unrelenting Force" effect or simply be used to disrupt archery. I can imagine a special effect of the animated air plucking arrows out of the sky.

On 12/26/2018 at 12:54 PM, Scott A said:

Here's my take on the various other spells implied by Enhance Int. They're roughly balanced against the spirit magic spells.

Excellent - particularly the point about Enhance POW. I bet the GodLearners knew how to do that, though.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:29 PM, Ultor said:

If the target’s POW is overcome, he/she suffers the effects of extreme thirst, losing 1 general HP per hour for the duration of the spell. No sustenance will slake the thirst until the duration is over or the spell is dispelled and healing only delays the inevitable. This spell is an effective assassination spell when sufficiently powerful, and is often used by Arkati wizards.

Might I suggest that this could instead function more like Steal Breath, involving the Tap Technique and the Water Rune?

7 hours ago, Tindalos said:

Might I suggest that this could instead function more like Steal Breath, involving the Tap Technique and the Water Rune?

This was implicitly designed as a non-Tap spell - Tap implies taking essence and gaining it, while this simply removes the essence from where it should be.

• 2 months later...

Abjure [Rune] - Separate Man [Element]

Allows the recipient to do without an essential element for the duration of the spell. For instance, Abjure Air means the recipient does not need to breathe. Abjure Fire means the recipient does not need warmth, and is immune to all Cold and Fire damage. Abjure Earth means the recipient “floats” above the ground and may cross an abyss, etc., as if walking on air. Abjure Water means the recipient is immune to the effects of thirst and may walk on water. Abjure Darkness means that the recipient can see in even pitch blackness as if it were daylight. These spells may be cast on a Protective Circle.

Why the man rune? Do you want this spell not to work on animals? Or should it be another spell?