Statement about Éditions Sans-Détour

MOB

It is with regret that we announce that Chaosium shall not be renewing Éditions Sans-Détour's license for any products. ESD's permission to use our trademarks, logos and all related intellectual property has been withdrawn.

Call of Cthulhu fans deserve to know our reasons why we sadly cannot continue this relationship. Details at the link:

https://www.chaosium.com/blogstatement-about-ditions-sansdtour

• Like 1

I fully understand the reasons behind the decision and can't understand ESD attitude and breach of licence agreement.

I would like you to know that for french speakers - end readers - players, ESD did really resurrect CoC as a major game in french rpg world. The quality of the editing and the choice of books to translate - not speaking of the original work - is unequaled in France.

It is a very saddening decision. I don't know if any french editor can work so beautifully on your game we love so much. Is there no hope remaining ?

As a French fan of Call of Cthulhu, and a buyer of Sans Détour's products, I find that decision sad but fair.

We are duscussing about it on a French Forum (the Blach Book Editions' one) and none of us do understand why Sans Détour didn't pay the royalties during so much time. We are waiting for Sans Détour explanation, hoping there will be one rapidly. 

I personally think that Chaosium was very, very patient and thank you for that. 

Edited by Gollum
  • Like 2

Same here. Sad that it comes to such an end, but fair from chaosium. 

I am also on the french forum Gollum mentioned and there are concerns about whether we will get our pledges or not. There has been some growing unrest for the past few months due to the delays and the ability for ESD to be able to deliver as per the crowdfunding. If I may just say, try to keep in mind that there are buyers who might end up being penalised too depending on your final decision/proposed solution to this commercial issue. As everybody is set to lose apparently given the scenario as it unfolds, try to keep in mind the french fans... we are the ones that actually ended up seeing the money taken out of our bank account. 

Edited by DSC1978
Additional information
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DSC1978 said:

For chaosium it’s a loss but no money was spent, for ESD it’s a future loss on revenue, for backers, that’s hard earned money for nothing... we’re the real victims here. 

We're owed a significant sum of unpaid royalties by ESD, which we count on to keep our own company afloat. ESD's failure to meet its obligations to Chaosium means we've had to tighten our belts and now can't spend those anticipated funds on new writers, editors, and artists. There are many victims here.

• Thanks 1

This must be one of the hardest parts of running a games company - you want to be cool and friendly and everybody just produce great products and make everyone happy. Then you have to put on your tough guy face and kick someone's arse over the commercials. I really feel for you, my friends at Chaosium. And for ESD also, they may well be good people who just had a tough time running a business themselves.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2018 at 10:10 AM, Humakti said:

The quality of the editing and the choice of books to translate - not speaking of the original work - is unequaled in France.

Incredible art indeed! It'd be a shame to see that work disappear, especially when Chaosium might benefit from it. 

I have no knowledge about how publishing works but: is there a way for Chaosium to acquire that art (as compensation, or by acquiring a defunct Sans-Détour)?

On 12/12/2018 at 6:30 PM, mvincent said:

Incredible art indeed! It'd be a shame to see that work disappear, especially when Chaosium might benefit from it. 

I have no knowledge about how publishing works but: is there a way for Chaosium to acquire that art (as compensation, or by acquiring a defunct Sans-Détour)?

It would depend on the contract the artist has with Sans-Détour. Is his work connected to the license, or is it the full property of Sans-Détour or limited in time... If it's in any way connected to the fact that Sans-Détour has the use of the license, then the art reverts to the artist who could make a deal with the new publisher. Or directly with Chaosium. 

In any case and at the very least, this artist, unless he has an exclusivity contrat with Sans-Détour (and once again it can be connected to them having the license) can very well go to make new beautiful graphics for another publisher.

It would also be an editorial choice from the new publisher of course: since this art is very much connected to the Sans Détour books, will they want to continue on this visual identity or create a new one.

A further statement about the cancellation of Éditions Sans-Détour's license for Call of Cthulhu.

It is deeply unfortunate that Éditions Sans-Détour has caused this problem for the Ulule backers of Masks of Nyarlathotep/Day of the Beast. Chaosium is making every effort to resolve the matter positively, but can only do so with the cooperation of Éditions Sans-Détour.

https://www.chaosium.com/blogfurther-statement-about-ditions-sansdtour

• Thanks 2

As previously announced Éditions Sans-Détour's license for Call of Cthulhu was not renewed after it expired in September of 2018. This was due to non-payment of royalties and other cardinal violations of the contract.

Chaosium has stated from the outset that we do not want ESD's failure to perform its contractual duties to result in Ulule.com backers for Masks/Day of the Beast not getting the product they have already paid for (although we ourselves have not been paid). In the absence of constructive assistance from ESD, this is our unilateral solution:

https://www.chaosium.com/blogchaosium-unilaterally-issues-limited-license-extension-so-ditions-sansdtour-can-fulfil-their-obligations-to-ululecom-backers/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/11/2018 at 10:05 PM, PhilHibbs said:

This must be one of the hardest parts of running a games company - you want to be cool and friendly and everybody just produce great products and make everyone happy. Then you have to put on your tough guy face and kick someone's arse over the commercials. I really feel for you, my friends at Chaosium. And for ESD also, they may well be good people who just had a tough time running a business themselves.

ESD has not paid us any royalties for the 4th quarter of 2016, nor for any of 2017 (including for the Masks/Day of the Beast crowdfunding campaign on Ulule), nor for any of 2018. Repeated requests for reports and payments made no difference in changing that. As we have stated publicly though, we have nothing but respect and admiration for the Call of Cthulhu creations ESD produced under license. That is one of the reasons we were exceptionally patient when sales reports or royalty payments weren't forthcoming, despite us asking for them. But when ESD's license was up for renewal in September of 2018 we finally had to say enough was enough.

Edited by MOB

Please be advised we have told Éditions Sans-Détour to cease all presales of Les Masques de Nyarlathotep (Masks of Nyarlathotep) and Le Jour de la Bête (Day of the Beast) on their website.

Chaosium has already publicly assured existing backers of the Masks/Day of the Beast Ulule crowfunding campaign that ESD will not be prevented from fulfilling their obligations to them (although we ourselves have not been paid). Chaosium unilaterally extends this special limited license to those who have already unwittingly made a presale purchase from ESD. More details at the link:

https://www.chaosium.com/blogupdate-about-ditions-sansdtour-regarding-preorder-customers