is Odayla a Hykim-Mikyh cult?

Manu

19 hours ago, Manu said:

When I look at the cult description, it looks very similar to H-M cult.

Is is the same as the Hsunshen Rathori Totemic cult?

The answer is no... and yes.  Odayla starts out as a son of Orlanth and Ernalda.  He gets involved in hunting the Sky Bear (the legitimate Hykim Mikhy child), and hunts it through the sky and into the underworld where he finds his father Orlanth dead or badly wounded and heals him.  When Odalya returns to the world he is the Sky bear.  Given that the Sky Bear represents the constellation of Orlanth's Ring, the inference is that perhaps Orlanth had bear powers and Odayla realized and embodied them when he saved him, realizing the "self in other" when he found the bear was his father.  I'm sure Freud and Jung would like this myth and its implications.

The fact that the Rathori of Fronela also regard the Great White Bear as being the ruler of the Middle Air and the Broken Ring (Orlanth's ring), implying that this Hsunchen culture is sort of Orlanthi too.  The Lunars say that Orogeria hunted the GWB and the Red Moon Goddess tamed him.  All-in-all it is a syncretic jumble that is quite like a real religion.

• Like 2

As I recall the culmination of the hunt was that one killed the other and wore his skin as a compliment, and no on can tell which is the hunter's real skin and which is the quarry's. The young Orlanth knocked around in a lot of remote places and had dealings with Tara Lady of the Wild too.

In my opinion, an Odaylan is unlike a Rathori or Foundchild hunter mainly in that he is more integrated into a developed Theyalan society

I don't think we know much about Ertelenari the bear goddess of the Solar pantheon. She is a finger goddess alongside Vergenari the sow goddess, Busenari the cow goddess, Memenari the mother goddess, so in some sense she is a provider and maybe has a role as hunter.