What Sort of Campaign?

seneschal

Family members have told me they’d like to play a game that is sort of like Star Wars Meets Lord of the Rings.  Sounds like I will need to choose a cinematic rules set, but what would such a genre-bending setting look like?  So far, I’m thinking Sword and Planet, something like Burroughs’ Carson of Venus series, although Thundarr the Barbarian might fit the bill as well.  Maybe with some alien steampunk tossed in.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

As far as system I am debating Hero System or Mini Six.  My initial impulse was Classic Traveller, but it is far too lethal for Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon hijinks.  BRP has lethality issues as well, and while Mutant Future might fit the tone its zero to hero character progression doesn’t. Sword and Planet protagonists are Big Darn Heroes from the get-go.

Edited by seneschal

Going the  'cosmic superhero' (Guardians of the Galaxy/Green Lantern) route would be an option, and any superhero RPG would work for that purpose.  All the powers would be the result of  high tech gadgets,  alien physiology,  or esoteric mental disciplines.