Proposed monograph: BRP supers; playtesters and critical appraisal needed

pulpcitizen

I am curious to see your take on the idea. It is similar to what I did in my Champions campaign I created in 1981. Though there were differences. The heroes did not know that the menace was "what man was not meant to know" till fairly well along and the theme tied into my Fantasy Hero and Justice Inc. / Pulp Hero campaigns. Let me know by PM if you want any info about the campaign to see if you can mine it for anything you can use. Most of the notes are gone, but I remember the highlights so I could give you a broad overview of what I put together.

I am curious to see your take on the idea. It is similar to what I did in my Champions campaign I created in 1981. Though there were differences. The heroes did not know that the menace was "what man was not meant to know" till fairly well along and the theme tied into my Fantasy Hero and Justice Inc. / Pulp Hero campaigns. Let me know by PM if you want any info about the campaign to see if you can mine it for anything you can use. Most of the notes are gone, but I remember the highlights so I could give you a broad overview of what I put together.

Thanks, but the vision I have is pretty clear, so I am trying to stick to that. Let's just say that there are a few layesr to things and there is an irony inherent in what the heroes do, but not necessarily in the way many or most would assume. :thumb:

I hope your curiosity will be satisfied in a good way when it (finally) is finished. :thumb:

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

A lot of truth in this. I expect to break even on my costs (after soiurcing some - cheap - art ), so it is a labour of love, certainly.

You might want to check with Rosen and see if you would be better off submitted it to Alephtar Games. I believe with them you will at least get a share of the profits (if any). You would need to check with Rosen to get the deails though.

Of course, no matter what direction you go in, there isn't a lot of money in the RPG field.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

You might want to check with Rosen and see if you would be better off submitted it to Alephtar Games. I believe with them you will at least get a share of the profits (if any). You would need to check with Rosen to get the deails though.

Of course, no matter what direction you go in, there isn't a lot of money in the RPG field.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

I think for this first attempt I'll still probably head the monograph route.

Alephtar have quite a few very interesting sounding books on their schedule already, so I guess they are committed to their existing plans. Plus superhero games/supplements are more often than not a very niche product (the relative successes of HERO/Champions and M&M aside), so I guess it may not be the most obvious product to look at commercially at this stage for Alephtar. That said, I may have another idea along super lines in the future.

Edited by leonmallett

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are you going to keep us all in the dark as to wether your monograph will be out this year, or will you grace us with some news on its development?

Sorry, with a few things going on (I get married next week; I had a close family bereavment in November; and the board changeover has really thrown me), I missed your post.

I have been updating Dustin and Charlie every couple of months or so. Writing ground to ahalt around a couple of life events above (and others not mentioned). I had hoped for submission Summer 2009, but that came and went obviously. The remaining chapters to finish off are:

- GM's information/adevnture seeds (about half to three quarters written)

- characters (about half done)

- villainous organisations (outlined, needs a serious attack on the writing)

I hope to resume in the next few weeks after my honeymoon.

Thanks for checking in. Leon. :)

Edited by leonmallett

Wow a super hero game...hmmm brings back my own groups Good Guy group of Heros..."The Friends of Justice"

Now I wish you well and look forward to reading more about this product.

Penn

Thanks. I hope you get to read more about it sooner rather than later. Leon.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like the insidious supervillain Dr Vapourware has exiled this project to Limbo!=O

If by vapourware, you mean 70-80% completed manuscript, some completed art (see my avatar for one of the key NPC's featuring work by one of our board members), then yes it is vaporware...

I'll PM the full run-down of wher it is at and why.

Leon.

• 4 weeks later...

Any more news on this?

I'm curious as I was thinking of upping the power levels in a Call of Cthulhu game the other day to create a supers setting very much of the tone of the Watchmen comic.

Is this the sort of thing you are reaching for?

Power level more akin to Spider-man, X-Men, Titans et al.

Good to hear about this project! As you may have seen in an earlier post of mine, I just started working on creating a new supers system for BRP - not as any sort of official project, but just as an exercise in RPG design for my own homegrown game. Perhaps your approach will make this unnecessary for me!

Do you alter the rules presented in BRP much, or do you simply expand on what BRP presents us with? I love the basics of BRP, but am of the opinion that some things need to be significantly tweaked to handle the genre well.

Whatever the case, I look forward to seeing your take when it hits the virtual shelves!

Best,

Eletarmion

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...