Hunting on a heroquest

Robin "RoM" Mitra

I am preparing an adventure where the characters go on an otherworld heroquest (during the great hunt in Balazar). I would like them to return with a mighty prey (or maybe a giant bee). However I know that it is impossible to bring back an item from a heroquest and they cannot prepare an item in advance.

What are my option? Any suggestions?

Hunting HeroQuests are among the easiest to organise as a GM, and the easiest for a Gloranthan HeroQuester to do (some particular Odayla and &c exceptional deep Myth ones excepted of course).

But perhaps if that's exactly what you want, and you wanted to stick by those particular rules, you could manage it as an Inner World HeroQuest into magical territory rather than into an otherworld ? Rather than the Hunters going to the Other Place, the Beast from that Other Place coming into this one ?

Could model it after some Arthurian "white stag" stories, including mysterious encounters obstacles and helpmeets along the way, else, I dunno, after modern hunting or forest horror movies ?

Try and remember anyway that in a HeroQuest, the important thing is always the players' interactions with the story elements, rather than rules stuff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robin "RoM" Mitra said:

I would like them to return with a mighty prey (or maybe a giant bee). However I know that it is impossible to bring back an item from a heroquest and they cannot prepare an item in advance.

I think we only need to look at the Hound of Ethilrist and the Black Horse demons to see that some things can in fact cross over.  Or Argrath's quest to bring back the Aurochs.  

See SKoH p.194: Can Something Come Out? Yes, entities can enter the Mortal World through temples, worship ceremonies, and places of power. Demons, underworld monsters, sorcerous curses, evil spirits, and curious godlings – all can exploit the opening to Cross Over into this world. HeroQuest foes may use this as an opportunity to strike against the heroes, either directly or using some Otherworldly allies.

Whether the prey they return with can create progeny might be another question, or require another quest, or perhaps a special blessing magic of Eiritha or Velhara or some other goddess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Byll said:

"It's all fun and games until the rabbit has a gun" as I heard someone on the Sky NFL programme quote his granddad recently. Maybe some Sakkars start hunting the hunters and they have to establish who is prey and who is predator...

Works so well for Odayla, particularly if you you use the John Hughes/ Michael Raaterova "Animal Twins" stuff. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Byll said:

"It's all fun and games until the rabbit has a gun" as I heard someone on the Sky NFL programme quote his granddad recently. Maybe some Sakkars start hunting the hunters and they have to establish who is prey and who is predator...

Thats exactly what happens on the Double Hunt Quest...the hunter becomes the hunted

On 12/20/2018 at 4:46 PM, Robin "RoM" Mitra said:

I am preparing an adventure where the characters go on an otherworld heroquest (during the great hunt in Balazar). I would like them to return with a mighty prey (or maybe a giant bee). However I know that it is impossible to bring back an item from a heroquest and they cannot prepare an item in advance.

Who says you can't bring something back from a HeroQuest without preparing it in advance?

The Red Goddess brought back the Crimson Bat, which seemed to be a surprise to everyone, including her.

If you want to slavishly stick to that rule, and I would strongly suggest that you don't, the Hunters could prepare a talisman of a beast, or even a blank talisman, and use that as the prepared object.

But, the whole point of the Great Hunt is to bring back something spectacular, so everyone is capable and prepared to do so.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Yeah, I agree with Soltkass. If you really want something to come back from the quest, bring it back, even if it involves bending the rules. It's clear that entities can come back, and some entities need bodies, so it's not unreasonable that a strange animal could come back. Perhaps it's giant on the Other Side but merely large on this side. Or maybe it comes through as a spirit but wakes/resurrects/summons a relative/descendant in this world. If it makes for a better story to have an animal come back, have the animal come back. 

22 hours ago, soltakss said:

Who says you can't bring something back from a HeroQuest without preparing it in advance?

The Red Goddess brought back the Crimson Bat, which seemed to be a surprise to everyone, including her.

If you want to slavishly stick to that rule, and I would strongly suggest that you don't, the Hunters could prepare a talisman of a beast, or even a blank talisman, and use that as the prepared object.

But, the whole point of the Great Hunt is to bring back something spectacular, so everyone is capable and prepared to do so.

Another example is the bringing back of the Aurochs to Dragon Pass. Hasn't happened yet, but it will.