Did Mostal imprison a Dragon?

Jim

I thought I had seen a reference somewhere to Mostal imprisoning a Dragon. Did I make this up in my illuminated mind or can anyone point me to the source of this?

(To any of my players reading this thread - there are now strange machines made of iron and cogs despatched from Dwarf Run and heading to you now)

I had originally posted this in the Runequest forum, as was pointed out I should have used this one. In my world there was a group of dwarves that attempted to emulate Mostal’s actions by imprisoning a Dream Dragon, using arcane machines and sorcery to draw off the energy of the true Dragon.

I don't recall seeing this anywhere in a Chaosium/Issaries Inc. source, or any printed fan material.

That said, when Vadel approached the Mostali of Magnetic Mountain for assistance in dealing with the spirits of the south, they had the Iron Energy Prison ready for him to use (or possibly field-test). There may have been shackles to apply to a fallen dragon, too.

Dragons in the west are at times underwhelming, like the "ease" with which Waertag and his descendants make use of Sea Dragons for their naval equipment. There is a possibility that there was some trade between Waertagi dragonmasters and Mostali, so I think that there is a fair chance for something like this.

I am less sure about Mostal still having agency when this may have occurred - Mostal was crippled when Umath ripped the sky dome off its rest on the Spike. A cabal of ancient Mostali - sure.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

I don't recall seeing this anywhere in a Chaosium/Issaries Inc. source, or any printed fan material.

That said, when Vadel approached the Mostali of Magnetic Mountain for assistance in dealing with the spirits of the south, they had the Iron Energy Prison ready for him to use (or possibly field-test). There may have been shackles to apply to a fallen dragon, too.

Dragons in the west are at times underwhelming, like the "ease" with which Waertag and his descendants make use of Sea Dragons for their naval equipment. There is a possibility that there was some trade between Waertagi dragonmasters and Mostali, so I think that there is a fair chance for something like this.

I am less sure about Mostal still having agency when this may have occurred - Mostal was crippled when Umath ripped the sky dome off its rest on the Spike. A cabal of ancient Mostali - sure.

Thanks Joerg, interesting thoughts 

15 minutes ago, Wrestlepig said:

I wonder what would happen if you mined a true dragon. Maybe that's what Isilidan's up to.

Possibly little unusual - a lot of the body mass appears to be gathered ad hoc, without having any biological function while in deep meditaion/slumber.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 12/22/2018 at 4:00 PM, Wrestlepig said:

I wonder what would happen if you mined a true dragon. Maybe that's what Isilidan's up to.

>Be me

>Trollkin miner

>Big boss says to mine the new mountain that appeared last night

>Ok.jpg

>Tons of sweet metal

>Find a fucking huge gem poking out of the end of the mountain, enough to get me out of being dinner

>Hit it with my pick

>It opens up

>Ohfuckitsaneye.jpg

>Mountain was really a dragon

>All our sweet metal disappears and the holes in the mountain fill back up

>Get eaten by a dragon for dinner

• Like 2