Tertius

Classic Fantasy - Is there a Volume II?

Hello, everyone!

So, for a while now I was thinking about moving all my OSR D&D stuff to BRP, since it's the RPG system I started with, and it's really versatile. I grabbed the Classic Fantasy book (which is really nice, actually), and throughout it, there are all these references to Vol. II: Gamemastery. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the book anywhere. Isn't it out yet? I'm sorry if this question was asked before, but I really am curious, since, being on holiday, I have his rare opportunity to read through everything I need to before actually starting to run something. Please advise.

Thanks a bunch, and cheers!

I don't know that it has been released. 

@threedeesix would be able to answer. He recently did up Classic Fantasy for Mythras and has been working on a second book for it.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, Tertius said:

Hello, everyone!

So, for a while now I was thinking about moving all my OSR D&D stuff to BRP, since it's the RPG system I started with, and it's really versatile. I grabbed the Classic Fantasy book (which is really nice, actually), and throughout it, there are all these references to Vol. II: Gamemastery. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the book anywhere. Isn't it out yet? I'm sorry if this question was asked before, but I really am curious, since, being on holiday, I have his rare opportunity to read through everything I need to before actually starting to run something. Please advise.

Thanks a bunch, and cheers!

Unfortunately, Chaosium's management at the time (not the wonderful crew running things now) were very difficult to deal with and all of my emails went unanswered. The odd thing is that during its run, Classic Fantasy was their best selling non-Cthulhu monograph, so it mystified me that they just didn't seem to care. Eventually, I gave up and moved on. For what it's worth, Mythras Classic Fantasy is the spiritual successor to the BRP version, and a much more complete and well supported product. 

• Like 1

Damn. Well, if it's any consolation, the DIY neccesity in this circumstance is pretty much as classic as you can get. 😂😂

Thanks a bunch anyway. I'll look into Mythras, see what it adds to the CF books. Have a good one! 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 10:34 PM, threedeesix said:

Unfortunately, Chaosium's management at the time (not the wonderful crew running things now) were very difficult to deal with and all of my emails went unanswered. The odd thing is that during its run, Classic Fantasy was their best selling non-Cthulhu monograph, so it mystified me that they just didn't seem to care. Eventually, I gave up and moved on. For what it's worth, Mythras Classic Fantasy is the spiritual successor to the BRP version, and a much more complete and well supported product. 

I agree, the Mythras version of CF is much, much cleaner.  In fact, to run an OSR (A)D&D or (O)D&D campaign in d100, I'd go for the Mythras version for character creation and development.  It might need some work with the Mythras elements imbedded in it, but I'm not sure Mythras itself is that bad, but even so, it is doable to ignore most of it.  I think you just set the skills you want as "level up" skills and let the players go.  Although I will admit I'm leaning more towards purely development roll after each adventure (1-5, maybe a couple of extras and a freebie for crit rolls during the run) where the player picks what skills they want to work on.

31 minutes ago, Tertius said:

Does Mythras have setting-specific elements imbedded in the rules? 

The core rulebook has a minimal suite of characters used as exemplars for game-mechanics (character-creation, combat, magic, etc).  They exist in an equally-minimal setting, sufficient to support their... example-ness? ... examplitude? ... exempliarity?   <shrug>  Whatevs!

It's a loosely ancient-world setting, apparently.  Few would consider it a full "setting" as such.

The core rules offer SEVERAL flavors of magic; so to  that degree there is a "magic works" implicit; but none of the magic systems are REQUIRED -- you could omit any or ALL of them if you wanted, e.g., a historical / non-fantasy game.

There are lots of setting-specific books available for Mythras.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tertius said:

Does Mythras have setting-specific elements imbedded in the rules? 

As g33k mentions, not really in the core book. Loosely ancient world, though up to medieval should be no issue at all. Mythras Imperative, the free abbreviated set of rules, can handle modern and futuristic too, as weapons and armor are there, as well as some more modern professions and skills. 

There are separate settings books for Mythic Rome, Mythic Britain, Mythic Constantinople, Monster Island, Luther Arkwright, and a brief one on superheroes, as well as third party books for space, 1920’s weird sci-fi, and probably another I’m forgerting