Outpost 19 is now on Chaosium's list of downloadable books, but there

seems to be some minor problem: Whenever I try to buy it, I am told

"Product not found". :(

Well, at least I will be able to get it soon. :happy:

Edit.: They fixed it, I have, I like it. :D:D:D

Edited by rust

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Spent the evening off line recovering from a hectic week, so only just picked up the good news via an email from Dustin myself.

PDF Download does seem to be working, and I must say I think John Dalton has done a great job with the layout. I am distinctly conscious that my skills as a cartographer are clearly lacking, and that the maps aren't at their best in the final version. I'll see what I can do about making a handout pack for Dustin to put up.

There will be a print edition at some point, but not until next year and I assume after Ashes to Ashes and Berlin '61 have had print editions.

Outpost 19 was originally 'written' for play testing the BRP manuscript in early '06. I say 'written' because my original approach was, as with most of my scenarios for my own use, to scribble ideas long hand in various note books and type them in documents at work and at home until I end up with an amorphous mass of notes about a setting and some stuff that's probably happening in it, which I then use as the basis for what actually hapens, but usually with a lot of improvised detail. I was a bit more disciplined than that with Outpost 19 but not hugely. I built on some ideas from Future*World, blended in some modern SF ideas and some quite old ones (distant memories of Tunnel in the Sky, and various TV SF shows from my childhood in the late seventies were clearly influential to me) as I wanted something easy for my regular group to pick up but which would also let us test BRP in an ongoing game (we were in addition doing some other one shots and stuff).

When Dustin asked about scenarios for a BRP anthology in the BRP play test group I offered him three pieces (i.e. I thought there were three folders I could refine it scenarios fit for publication...) and he liked Outpost 19 so I started work on that. Real life had it's usual disruptive say, not only with Outpost 19 but BRP itself, and (although Dustin never chased me) I effectively stalled on it early in '07... Then, with the hullabaloo approaching Christmas that year around BRP 0 (and a comment of Jason's in a thread here IIRC) reminded me about it so I dug it out and realised I'd got further than I thought with it. I finished the major remaining work over Christmas and then kept fiddling round the edges for a couple of months and finally sent it to Dustin in April.

If people have questions about the setting or adventure I'm happy to answer them here.

Cheers,

Nick

First of all: Congratulations, a very nice adventure indeed ! :thumb:

I plan to adapt it to my own setting and use it as the first part of a

Precursor subplot of the campaign, giving the characters a chance

to learn more about the early history of the region and perhaps dis-

cover some more Precursor sites (and, if they are extremely lucky,

even some potentially useful but mysterious technology).

Therefore I am very interested in your concept of the Precursors and

their technology. So, if you have already decided upon any more de-

tails, please let me know.

Thank you ! :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Guest Vile Traveller

Looks rather interesting, I must say ... although I've unfortunately already exceeded my Christmas budget by a factor of about four, so it may have to wait until birthday time ... :ohwell:

Outpost 19 is now on Chaosium's list of downloadable books, Well, at least I will be able to get it soon. :happy:

Edit.: They fixed it, I have, I like it. :D:D:D

I'm glad it is finally out. I'm not sure that I have the patience to wait for the printed version, especially when I can get one of my family to buy the pdf for me for Christmas!:D

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Hi Nick,

Congratulations - that looks like a great scenario, and it's excellent to see it's made it to the shelves before Christmas!

I'm planning to pick up the PDF as an Xmas prezzie shortly...

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I've registered on this forum only to say that Outpost 19 is a great sci-fi setting and scenario. :thumb:

Thank you (and everyone else who's said nice things about it!) :o

We will see an expansion of the setting soon?

Not soon, at least not a substantial one. I have various ideas and possibilities, but nothing close to publication ready and fond as I am of the Gate Warden Universe my active groups are more interested in other settings at present.

I fully intend to develop some more material for publication in SOME form - I really want to write up some of the ideas I have for the Tripoint Facility. WE will have to see how things go over the Christmas break...

Cheers,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...