Jump to content
Scout

New to RuneQuest-Glorantha

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Steve said:

Yes, it's easy to convert. There's a conversion guide in the RQG rulebook, p.423 (also available as a free download from the website).

Thank you Steve. 

I believe Apple Lane is being updated with Gringle's Pawnshop having been destroyed (or something) but I'd like my players to experience the original. 

I see Borderlands and Griffin Mountain have been updated for RQ2. Do we know if they'll be brought in line with RQG? They look brilliant products and I'd like to GM them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Red Cow books, from HeroQuest, are really good too. Think about them as a campaign (a really good one) were you need to cook your own stats for NPC characters.

Edited by Rojo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rojo said:

The Red Cow books, from HeroQuest, are really good too. Think about them as a campaign (a really good one) were you need to cook your own stats for NPC characters.

Thanks, I'll check them out

Edited by Scout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, womble said:

I'd read "more" as including all previous elements of that step, so would preclude adding 10 to a skill that has had 25 added to it

That's how I had read it too, but it sounded from Jeff's post that that may not be the case.

Edit: I see that Jeff has posted a response to womble's note and that my original reading was correct.

Edited by jajagappa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scout said:

I see Borderlands and Griffin Mountain have been updated for RQ2. Do we know if they'll be brought in line with RQG? They look brilliant products and I'd like to GM them. 

They reprinted the original material (plus included a few relevant additions).  Borderlands is very specific to the period 1615-1616.  The whole collapse of the Lunar Empire in Prax means you would not see that updated to RQG.  However, there's lots of scenarios there that could be transferred to another setting (e.g. more interactions with Tusk Riders, the 5 Eyes Temple).  

Griffin Mountain would need updates for Elkoi - perhaps now run by a PC-adventurer type "king/queen".  The kings of Trilus and Dykene may simply have aged, or have been replaced.  But the life of the Balazaring clans goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Jajagappa - that's a shame. 

And whilst I am not familiar with the history/timeline, I doubt I could use RQG to play out those scenarios because it would mean forgoing the lifepath in character creation.

EDIT: That said, I guess it shouldn't be too hard to adjust a few dates here and there. 

 

Edited by Scout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the coolest things Chaosium could produce, in my opinion, is a booklet offering life paths going back a few decades, so a group could choose where to start play while integrating directly into the RQG rules.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, creativehum said:

One of the coolest things Chaosium could produce, in my opinion, is a booklet offering life paths going back a few decades, so a group could choose where to start play while integrating directly into the RQG rules.

You mean something like Pendragon's Family History tables, where you can see what happened in Dad's and Granddad's day? And which could be used to jump in anywhere in the timeline?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scout said:

@ Jajagappa - that's a shame. 

And whilst I am not familiar with the history/timeline, I doubt I could use RQG to play out those scenarios because it would mean forgoing the lifepath in character creation.

EDIT: That said, I guess it shouldn't be too hard to adjust a few dates here and there. 

 

Just bump the lifepath back a decade and you can use them perfectly well.  It largely means there is overlap of events for grandparents and parents (get parents going with the 1597 events), and then get character events going as of 1610-1613.  

It's not the default RQG setting, but there's plenty of material to support that period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Just bump the lifepath back a decade and you can use them perfectly well.  It largely means there is overlap of events for grandparents and parents (get parents going with the 1597 events), and then get character events going as of 1610-1613.  

It's not the default RQG setting, but there's plenty of material to support that period.

This is very useful 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, creativehum said:

One of the coolest things Chaosium could produce, in my opinion, is a booklet offering life paths going back a few decades, so a group could choose where to start play while integrating directly into the RQG rules.

That would be great.

Kloster

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jajagappa said:

They reprinted the original material (plus included a few relevant additions).  Borderlands is very specific to the period 1615-1616.  The whole collapse of the Lunar Empire in Prax means you would not see that updated to RQG. 

I believe MOB has been working on an update to Sun County which also seriously alters the basic premise of Borderlands. I don't know the status of his draft, and can't disclose any details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

I believe MOB has been working on an update to Sun County which also seriously alters the basic premise of Borderlands. I don't know the status of his draft, and can't disclose any details.

Considering the high quality both of Sun County and Borderlands, this also would be great.

Kloster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

You mean something like Pendragon's Family History tables, where you can see what happened in Dad's and Granddad's day? And which could be used to jump in anywhere in the timeline?

Actually I mean mean something like RuneQuest: Glorantha's Family History tables, where you can see what happened in parent's and grandparen's day. And which could be used to jump in anywhere in the timeline. Except going back a little bit further for more elasticity. 

Some of us are coming to Gloratha without having played through all the terrific history and material others have chewed through in previous decades.

If and when I get a chance to run a game in Glorantha, I would want to do it while the Lunar incursion is still underway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, creativehum said:

Actually I mean mean something like RuneQuest: Glorantha's Family History tables, where you can see what happened in parent's and grandparen's day. And which could be used to jump in anywhere in the timeline. Except going back a little bit further for more elasticity. 

Some of us are coming to Gloratha without having played through all the terrific history and material others have chewed through in previous decades.

If and when I get a chance to run a game in Glorantha, I would want to do it while the Lunar incursion is still underway.

I think such is the work of ages.

I'd contemplated trying to modularize the RQG system - using that sort of approach, but without the constraining "grandpa must have been born on year X" that RQG is stuck with...I don't think it's impossible, but it would be a prodigious amount of lore-crunching. 

What I'd postulated was essentially going BACKWARDS (Feynman says we can go either direction), starting from the character's immediate family - basically building an ancestry tree from there up into the past.  Anyone peripheral to the direct lines backwards would be generated but not really 'played out' beyond sex, birth year, death year; maybe children/spouse.

There are some terrific FRPG resources already out there for much of the mechanics of it: http://rollforfantasy.com/tools/family-tree-creator.php for example

The kicker for lore would be essentially a chance for each individual of at least one "something interesting" happening in their lives.  If that flags, then you'd check against a massive table of 'generic but interesting' events - fought/won/lost vs monster, house burned down, drafted into military, found a treasure, etc.  A sort of 'downtime random event' chart.

Finally, for those who have something interesting, and then hit the small% chance of 'unique event', one would have to have a massive db of Gloranthan events, and who (generally) participated; if it happened during the person's majority, and they're one of the participating groups, they'd have a chance of being a participant; if not, they might only be a witness.  There could be some sort of metric for "involvedness" (if it matters), which wouldn't precisely tell the player SPECIFICALLY what happened, but that could be left more to the creative juices of the player/GM to embroider.

But yeah, that's a hella big job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Book of Sires is supposed to do something similar with Pendragon. I think something along those lines could work for Glorantha-at least for a particular region, say Dragon Pass, and for a certain number of years, maybe a century or two. In some ways it could be easier in Glorantha, because the calender and date for given events more firmly established, and there is less contraction among the sources. 

It would be a project though. And even if someone did start earlier, there'd be little support material to help them. All the older RQ stuff only goes back about a decade in Gloranthan time. So if a GM pushes the clock back by 20 years, he won't have much to help him work up adventures. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

Well, the Book of Sires is supposed to do something similar with Pendragon. I think something along those lines could work for Glorantha-at least for a particular region, say Dragon Pass, and for a certain number of years, maybe a century or two. In some ways it could be easier in Glorantha, because the calender and date for given events more firmly established, and there is less contraction among the sources. 

It would be a project though. And even if someone did start earlier, there'd be little support material to help them. All the older RQ stuff only goes back about a decade in Gloranthan time. So if a GM pushes the clock back by 20 years, he won't have much to help him work up adventures. 

 

 

I was working on something here: 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Page 7: "Whenever a division result creates a fraction, always round in favor of the players."

Page 142: "The chance of a fumble is equal to 5% of the adventurer’s chance of failure..."

Page 143: Ability Results Table

Ability ratings 11-20 have a fumble chance is 97-00 but going by the above rules and rounding in favour of the players it should be 96-00?

For example:

11: 89 x 10% = 8.9 / 2 = 4.45 rounded to 4  = 96

20: 80 x 10% 8.0 / 2 = 4.0 = 96

Edited by Scout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Scout said:

Page 7: "Whenever a division result creates a fraction, always round in favor of the players."

Page 142: "The chance of a fumble is equal to 5% of the adventurer’s chance of failure..."

Page 143: Ability Results Table

Ability ratings 11-20 have a fumble chance is 97-00 but going by the above rules and rounding in favour of the players it should be 96-00?

For example:

11: 89 x 10% = 8.9 / 2 = 4.45 rounded to 4  = 96

20: 80 x 10% 8.0 / 2 = 4.0 = 96

4% of fumble means 97-100 (97%, 98%, 99% and 100%).

Kloster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kloster said:

4% of fumble means 97-100 (97%, 98%, 99% and 100%).

Kloster

I'm not sure that is what they mean because they are instructing you to find the percentage of the failure range. At least that's what I think.

Edited by Scout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scout said:

I'm not sure that is what they mean because they are instructing you to find the percentage of the failure range. At least that's what I think.

That's what they're doing, yes. The percent chance of a fumble in your example is 4%, which four chances in your d100 roll are 00, 99, 98, 97. So if you roll 97 or more you've fumbled, which is what the table says.

Personally, I just round all numbers mathematically. Which is actually what the table does (ignoring page 7 which is a stupid and inconsistent rule, IMO). 5% of 81 is 4.05, which is greater than 4, so if you "always round in favour", the chance of a crit should be 5% at 81. It actually changes at 90%, when the chance, unrounded would be 4.5%, which means they have rounded mathematically. If you always round in favour of the players, monsters' chances of crits and specials will be lower than players' for the same chance to hit, and the reverse applies for chances to fumble. It's just nonsense.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scout said:

Thanks womble.

When you say rounding mathematically, what does that mean exactly, to the nearest whole number or up, down?

Any decimal that is 0.5 or higher, round up, if it is below 0.5 then round down.

So, 20.5 rounds up to 21 and 20.49 rounds down to 20.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×