New to RuneQuest-Glorantha

Scout

Page 219: Second Column

"If the adventurer using the lance has had no training in its use, they can use it at 1/2 their normal attack chance with a one-handed spear, unless their Ride skill is below that."

Ok got that. Then...

"It can also be used as a one-handed spear if the adventurer has the necessary STR and DEX to use a long spear one-handed."

Not sure what the second part means. If the adventurer doesn't have the necessary STR and DEX they can use the lance at 1/2 normal skill as detailed above - anyway. What's the difference? 

You can either ignore it (because, RAW, there is no provision for using a Long Spear 1-handed) or make up/adopt some minimum stats for 1H-Longspear (I went for Str-11, Dex-7). Further to that, you can either ignore the absolutism of the language of the second quoted passage, and allow too-weak/too-clumsy adventurers to use the weapon at the appropriate penalty, or just rule that because it's a 'substitute default base skill', it only applies if the character is fully physically up to scratch. I'd go for the first option, there. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, womble said:

You can either ignore it (because, RAW, there is no provision for using a Long Spear 1-handed) or make up/adopt some minimum stats for 1H-Longspear (I went for Str-11, Dex-7). Further to that, you can either ignore the absolutism of the language of the second quoted passage, and allow too-weak/too-clumsy adventurers to use the weapon at the appropriate penalty, or just rule that because it's a 'substitute default base skill', it only applies if the character is fully physically up to scratch. I'd go for the first option, there. 

Thanks womble

9 hours ago, styopa said:

Call me a quibbler, but IMO RQG has overcomplicated this.

If you have a 155 vs a 50, in the various interpretations it would be played out as:

1. RQG RAW: 100 vs 0%
  2. RQG Amended(better): 110 vs 05 or really 95 (with special of 22/crit of 6) vs 05.
  3. RQ3 results in 95 (with special of 31, crit of 8 I think) vs 50

While I agree that #2 is way better than #1, it seems like 3 is simpler, still gives the lower-skill the full 'value' of the skill they have and likewise acknowledges a diminishing return on super-high levels of skill - essentially you're just a) better able to cope with disadvantages, but b) mainly (slowly) increasing your special/crit chances...

Yep.  We tried out skill reduction with RQ6 and didnt like it.  No one likes it any better in RQG.  It's the one rule we instantly tossed out and went with RQ3.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, styopa said:

RQG RAW: 100 vs 0%

Your point 1 is incorrect. Regardless of negative mods a 1-5 is always a success. 

I  dislike the RQ3 model as it doesn't benefit 100+ skills in that you always have a 5% of failure. Reducing your opponents skill is a way get that bonus back. I'm happy with the RAW rules, it knocks some of the peaks and troughs you can get with RQG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Psullie said:

Your point 1 is incorrect. Regardless of negative mods a 1-5 is always a success.

Correct.

I  dislike the RQ3 model as it doesn't benefit 100+ skills in that you always have a 5% of failure. Reducing your opponents skill is a way get that bonus back. I'm happy with the RAW rules, it knocks some of the peaks and troughs you can get with RQG

In RQIII, the benefit of above 100% were the increased special and crit. (that disappears with RQG), and the possibility of splitting (still present in RQG). Not counting the psychological aspect of seeing your hardly won 150% attack brought down to 100%, the improved special and crit. probability can be the only way to wound a highly armored opponents more than 1 time every 20 attacks (which is the crit probability with 100% skill).

Kloster

2 hours ago, Scout said:

Is there an 'in-game' rationale for underground complexes that need relieving of monsters and treasure in Glorantha? Earthdawn calls them kaers

Many. Trolls are the most obvious for me (examples being the Szazdof and Krang's table), then various tombs (eg King Berevenenos' Grave), all the basements in the Big Rubble (Eg the buried remains of the temple of Labrygon under the Blind King's Palace), the temples of opponents, chaotic and otherwise, (EG Rabbit Hat Farm or possibly The Paps), cave hideouts (Muriah's gang and Five eyes). Dwarf workings, preferably abandoned to a later occupant, but still working if you need to kill off the party. And then you get into Snakepipe Hollow.

Each can have several rationales in the same scenario for looting by your favourite murder hobos . Just being chaotic is a good one. That makes the raid a religious duty for much of Glorantha. Various kidnappings and theft of treasures by the inhabitants. Strategic threat to your established or would-be established center (trolls are a good choice here as are the temples of enemy gods). Suppression of political opponents is frequently a motive for Lunar troop raids on Orlanthi and Storm Bull temples. Generalised vagabond looting by the foolhardy might prompt raids on underground Earth temples (you'd have to like life as a castrato though). The war between the various Earth factions in Esrolia might go down that rabbit hole. Simple bigotry of the "I hate Trolls" type can do it, especially as we now have passions as a mechanism to drive this. 

Glorantha abounds with the ruins of millenia's of civilisations, much of which was either built below ground or has been buried by time and circumstance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Page 221: Attacking a Person on a Chariot

"Damage taken by the chariot for more points than the chariot can absorb in one blow is taken on the hit location rolled in the attack. The armor on the location, if any, absorbs the excess points. The chariot then loses 1 hit point."

I find parsing the above rule a bit difficult. Is it saying, on a successful attack, roll for location and roll damage, and if damage is left after applying armour, reduce armour by one? 

EDIT: Chariot fighting? How cool is that!

Edited by Scout

37 minutes ago, Scout said:

I find parsing the above rule a bit difficult. Is it saying, on a successful attack, roll for location and roll damage, and if damage is left after applying armour, reduce armour by one? 

Lets say you character is on her chariot. The GM states that the front offers protection (lets say 5 AP) to Abdomen & Legs. So a Javelin is thrown at you and hits. You roll Hit Location as normal, if the Hit Loc roll results in a Abdomen or legs then the Chariot has been hit. Roll for damage (lets say 8 damage). If the damage exceeds the AP of the chariot (5-8 = 3), the balance goes through to you character to the relevant Hit location which is applied as normal (3 damage before worn armour etc), the Chariot's AP is now reduced from 5 to 4 as it has a big hole in it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kloster said:

won 150% attack brought down to 100%,

but it's not. Your Sword skill of 150% still only hits with a 95 or less. But your opponents Parry is reduced by 50 making if far less likely that he will deflect the blow. To me this is a much bigger win than and extra 3% on your critical, but that just me.

• Like 1

Page 224-225: Two weapon use

"Training or experience in using a weapon left-handed does not help the right-handed attack or parry with the same weapon, except that the half effectiveness rule applies. For example, use of a dagger left-handed, allows the adventurer to use it right-handed at half the left-handed ability."

Not sure I remember reading about a half effectiveness rule. Can someone give me an example of the above rule using some numbers?

Also...

"An adventurer using two weapons at 100% or more with each weapon skill may attack one foe twice at full skill rating (once with each weapon). An adventurer may attack two foes twice at 1/2 normal skill rating (each being attacked once with each weapon). Or they may attack one at 1/2 skill rating with one weapon and the other at 1/2 skill rating with that weapon and with the full skill rating using the other weapon."

The red part is not clear to me. Which exactly is 'that' weapon and the 'other' weapon?

Edited by Scout

2 hours ago, Scout said:

"Or they may attack one at 1/2 skill rating with one weapon and the other at 1/2 skill rating with that weapon and with the full skill rating using the other weapon."

The red part is not clear to me. Which exactly is 'that' weapon and the 'other' weapon?

I think this means that you do not have to split both attacks if you do not wish to. So when attacking with sword and dagger both at 120% skill, you can make 4 attacks at 60% (splitting both) - or two attacks at 60% with one weapon and a single attack with the other weapon at full skill.

9 minutes ago, boztakang said:

I think this means that you do not have to split both attacks if you do not wish to. So when attacking with sword and dagger both at 120% skill, you can make 4 attacks at 60% (splitting both) - or two attacks at 60% with one weapon and a single attack with the other weapon at full skill.

This is also what I understand.

Kloster

51 minutes ago, Scout said:

Thanks for clarifying

The rules (page 229) say you can only use inspiration via a Rune once per session. Do you think that's a bit restrictive? I was considering letting players use it once per game day.

I like the once per session because it forces characters to rely on many aspects of their character, not one. It forces players to look for alternative means of solving problems and conflicts. 

It is a storytelling tool. It allows the player to say this scene is important to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kloster said:

Not counting the psychological aspect of seeing your hardly won 150% attack brought down to 100%, the improved special and crit. probability can be the only way to wound a highly armored opponents more than 1 time every 20 attacks (which is the crit probability with 100% skill).

I will only note that my players were quite happy to see the parries of their scorpionmen foes substantially lowered.

1 hour ago, Scout said:

The rules (page 229) say you can only use inspiration via a Rune once per session. Do you think that's a bit restrictive? I was considering letting players use it once per game day.

As I run PbP, sessions are quite long so would never restrict it per session.  I follow these notes from p.229:

• Only one attempt at inspiration can be made in a situation
  • The inspiration lasts for the time it takes to complete the activity or task, such as the duration of the combat or battle. (Max 1 day)
  • The adventurer can choose to cancel the effects of inspiration at any time, if desired, but must wait until the next day to attempt it again.
  • And my modified rule: once a Rune is successfully used for inspiration, it cannot be used again that day