Malkioni Sorcery

Manu

In the RQG, there is this line under the malkioni sorcery

Maintaining the caste restrictions provides bonuses to the use of sorcery (the restrictions depend upon the school of Malkionism); once the restriction is violated, the bonus is forever lost.

Sedalpist may not eat meat. Does that mean that they have a bonus as long as they don't eat meat (Or kill someone, ...)? What kind of bonus? +x%?  Shorter Casting time? more free INT?

Eating meat isn't a caste restriction but a philosophical doctrine held by all Sedalpists  (you could still treat it as a caste restriction for the purposes of the sentence you quote)

Judging by the comments made by some RW practitioners, a bonus to Free INT seems most likely.  If necessary, it could be a buffer against sorcery spells held in the mind (ie a Sedaplist with a+3 bonus can know up to three sorcery spells without his free INT being affected).

What could be the cast restrictions? Like the Humakt Gease?

Free INT bonus only seems a little light for me. When you see all the Shaman abilities, I would expect something more. But anyway, as there is no plan for a Malkion bookj anytime soon, I'll create my own rules...

• Like 1

For the Sedalpists, I suggest:

1)  Don't eat meat (fish excluded), don't eat meat (fish included)

2)  Do not harm/murder/kill another or do not cause harm to fall upon another (i.e. the suspended rock in the air trick).

3)  Do not mutilate the self (no tattoos, no body piercings, no intoxication, no austerities)

4)  Do not suppress the wit of others (most agree the suppression has to be of a long duration but a few communities think even a five minute befuddle spell is wrong).  Some expand this to include slavery and serfdom.

As for the bonuses, some of the shamanic abilities can be rewritten as sorcerours ones (such as Magic Attack, Magic Defence, Spell Extension).  I do not think Multispell (as per RQ3) is possible under the new sorcery paradigm but can think a effect which adds extra targets a sorcery spell is possible.

Sounds similar to the Vows system in Sandy's sorcery system. You could use that for some examples. Here is one:

VEGETARIANISM

(1, or 3 for Sedalpists): Never eat animal meat. The Sedalpists have the lesser Vow of Partial Vegetarianism, which forbids eating the flesh of warm-blooded animals (only), for 1 added to Presence. If such a Sedalpist later takes full Vegetarianism, the lesser Vow is subsumed into the greater.

The number is the amount of Presence gained, which is a sorcerer's capacity for maintaining spells as there is no Duration in Sandy's rules.

Edited by PhilHibbs

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Sounds similar to the Vows system in Sandy's sorcery system. You could use that for some examples. Here is one:

The number is the amount of Presence gained, which is a sorcerer's capacity for maintaining spells as there is no Duration in Sandy's rules.

RQG doesn't use Presence. 

Phil,

I see that on your website, there is the sandy's sorcery rules (that can be a good inspiration for creating the RQG Malkioni sorcery rules, while I wait for the official one), but in HTML. Do you have the 'file' copy of this rules? Easier to print and read.

22 hours ago, Manu said:

Phil,

I see that on your website, there is the sandy's sorcery rules (that can be a good inspiration for creating the RQG Malkioni sorcery rules, while I wait for the official one), but in HTML. Do you have the 'file' copy of this rules? Easier to print and read.

Yes I think I have a word document somewhere, I'll have a look when I get my computer back out in a couple of days.

On a bit of a tangent, I found the Sorcery spells a bit generic at first, then I realised that the richness of Runemagic and Spirit Magic is because we have cults described. If we only had the common spells, then they would seem a bit generic. So, I am now waiting for Malkioni supplements, despite having little interest in Glorantha's West, just for the spells and an advanced treatment of Sorcery.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 1/8/2019 at 1:46 PM, soltakss said:

On a bit of a tangent, I found the Sorcery spells a bit generic at first, then I realised that the richness of Runemagic and Spirit Magic is because we have cults described. If we only had the common spells, then they would seem a bit generic. So, I am now waiting for Malkioni supplements, despite having little interest in Glorantha's West, just for the spells and an advanced treatment of Sorcery.

I've found great richness and character in using Sandy's Tekumel sorcery rules as well, considering how spotty the various Malkioni source material's been.  Sure there's be ample (excessive?) verbiage about the lore, but in practical terms not much for game-players.  

http://www.tekumel.com/downloads/RQtekumel.pdf

For example, the spell Tremulation:

Tremulation (Karakan) (2) Creates a deep vibration which deafens all within the circle of effect and prevents orders from being given or understood. Affects a circle 1/10 the spell's Range (so a 10m range spell is 1m across). Intensity increases the effect.

• 2 as above
  • 4 area is so shaken that those within it cannot fight, cast spells, or do any actions requiring dexterity. They can leave, though.
  • 6 as above, but all items of glass, pottery, etc., are shattered
  • 8 shatters bones and kills those within the circle if they cannot leave within 5 combat rounds