Starter Set noob rules question - Outnumbered

Steve

While waiting for my Starter Set to arrive (an event about which I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas), I've been reading the rules in the second PDF booklet for that set.

All seems very clear to me except for one thing. It's some wording in the Outnumbered rules on p.20 that are confusing me. It says:

"A character outnumbered by the opposition is at a disadvantage. Once a character has either fought back or dodged in the present combat round, all subsequent melee attacks on them (in the same round) are made with one bonus die. This does not apply to attacks made using firearms.

Example: the ghoul has 3 attacks, whereas Susan has just 1. On the ghoul’s first attack roll, Susan gets to fight back or dodge and the combat is normal. But, on the ghoul’s second and third attacks, it gets a bonus die to each of these attacks, as Susan is effectively outnumbered."

Susan still gets to fight back or dodge those second and third attacks, right? Just with a bonus dice for the attacker? She does in the example on the previous page, so I guess I'm answering my own question. It's just a bit confusing when an example introduces extra rules that "should" have been used in a previous example (two different examples would have made it clearer to me, e.g. Susan fighting a cultist in the previous example).

It's way that it says she gets to fight back or dodge for the first attack in the above example that makes me question things, almost implying that she doesn't for subsequent attacks in the same round.

Edited by Steve

That is correct. Characters can attempt to dodge and fight back subsequent attacks after their initial reaction, but the opponents will have bonus die to their rolls.

Also don't forget the important rule when it comes to characters or enemies with multiple attacks:

"Characters and monsters that have more than one attack per round may also dodge or fight back that number of times before the bonus die is applied."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valyar said:

Also don't forget the important rule when it comes to characters or enemies with multiple attacks:

Thanks. Though that additional bit isn't in the starter set. But I assumed that the full rulebook would have more in-depth combat rules, and that extra bit fits in nicely (and helps me with the starter set stuff).