Spirit rune

Manu

1 hour ago, Manu said:

The Daka Fal cult is described with the Man and Spirit rune. Where could I put this rune in the character's creation?

Here's a quote from the upcoming Gods of Glorantha that neatly explains this:

The omission of specific Form Runes from the character sheet is easily understood:

[...]

Spirit: The Spirit Rune denotes disembodied entities existing in the Spirit World; since all mortals are embodied beings, they do not have the Spirit Rune (even if they might temporarily discorporate).

Daka Fal has both runes as he bridges this form gap.

1 hour ago, Manu said:

What is the point of have this rune (On the game point of view)

None from an adventurer point of view.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

In RQ the Spirit Rune is something spirits have, as David says. 

In HeroQuest, it means something different - it represents your ability to deal directly with the spirit world, that abstracts together a bunch of things, including, but not limited to, the various 'Spirit' skills, shaman abilities, Fetch POW, etc. 

On 12/29/2018 at 4:19 AM, David Scott said:

Here's a quote from the upcoming Gods of Glorantha that neatly explains this:

Daka Fal has both runes as he bridges this form gap.

None from an adventurer point of view.

I would argue a shaman could use his spirit rune to augment a great many skills.  From spirit dancing to negotiating.

5 hours ago, Pentallion said:

I would argue a shaman could use his spirit rune to augment a great many skills.  From spirit dancing to negotiating.

A shaman is not a discorporate entity and thus is not well-represented the Spirit Rune (except when he discorporates). 

30 minutes ago, Jeff said:

A shaman is not a discorporate entity and thus is not well-represented the Spirit Rune (except when he discorporates). 

?  Isn't when he is discorporate when he will be augmenting his skills with the spirit rune?  Oh, nvm, I follow you, he can't use his spirit rune to augment his negotiate with spirits when he isn't discorporate.

Edited by Pentallion

14 minutes ago, Byll said:

Didn't I read here somewhere that all Praxian Nomads were going to have the spirit rune?

That is for HeroQuest. And (with due respect to David Scott) it is only partly true, and it is at best a special case, at worst a bit of a mess. Normally you do not need the Spirit Rune unless you are a shaman.

But for RuneQuest, the same things that would have been represented by your Spirit rune in HeroQuest are represented different in RuneQuest. The two games operate at very different levels of abstraction, and so some things just don't work the same way. (and obviously, the same applies to 13th Age) 

Having a percentage in a Rune isn't a fundamental truth of Glorantha, it is an abstracted game representation, like hit points. 

10 minutes ago, davecake said:

Having a percentage in a Rune isn't a fundamental truth of Glorantha, it is an abstracted game representation, like hit points. 

Oh no, my Orlanthi has only 70% of his air rune tattooed on his body.  It was 80% of the tatoo complete, but he had to have part of it taken off.  That was a real walk of shame day.

;)

To extend on this point - your Rune rating in HeroQuest represents not just your RQG Rune rating, but also your Rune Points in an appropriate god, your associated spirit magic, and some related skills, and some more besides. Statements about Runes in one game do not translate to statements about the other. And they don't even share the same set of Runes, as far as the game rules go. 

The original poster was asking a question of RuneQuest in this RuneQuest forum. I fail to see how bringing a different game system with a different understanding of the runes is helpful to them. Can we keep this on RuneQuest otherwise new players are going to become confused.

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

3 hours ago, Byll said:

Didn't I read here somewhere that all Praxian Nomads were going to have the spirit rune?

Not in RuneQuest Glorantha. You get a cultural modifier to your elemental runes base on your tribe, see page 45. 

• Like 1

-----

9 hours ago, David Scott said:

The original poster was asking a question of RuneQuest in this RuneQuest forum. I fail to see how bringing a different game system with a different understanding of the runes is helpful to them. Can we keep this on RuneQuest otherwise new players are going to become confused.

So, which runes a Praxian has depends on the rules system used?

Bad, bad, bad move ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

So, which runes a Praxian has depends on the rules system used?

Bad, bad, bad move ...

They are different game systems. The use of runes in HeroQuest should not dictate how they are used in RuneQuest, any more than Hit Points in D&D should dictate anything about Hit Points in RuneQuest.

• Like 2