Sign in to follow this  
10baseT

Sorcery: Starting Rune and Technique Mastery

What is a sorcerer's starting mastery of Runes and Techniques (an Aeolian in my case)?

*Page 381 2nd column, bottom right, says every sorcerer begins play having mastered at least one Rune as described under Philosopher on page 70, (so 1 Rune here).

*Then page 389 under Aeolianism (assuming i'm 21) says I get to select 2 Runes and 1 Technique at 16 then spend the next 5 years mastering them (2 Runes and 1 Technique here).

*Next, going back to character creation, let's say I actually pick Philosopher as my occupation. I then get to start with mastery of 1 Rune and 1 Technique (1 Rune and 1 Technique here).

So do i start with a Mastery of 4 Runes and 2 Techniques? I don't think i'm doing this correctly or i'm misinterpreting. This seems a bit high. Thanks, Gil

I understand it as such: An aeolian philosopher starts with 3 (2 for aeolianism and 1 for philosopher) runes and 2 (1 for aeolianism and 1 for philosopher) techniques. This is what I did for my character.

Kloster

• Like 1

Yes, to be an effective starting Sorcerer you really have to be a Philosopher. This makes sense.

However, it is really difficult to become an effective sorcerer "in game." I can see the intention, but there's little MGF there. I'd have "Scrolls of Revelation," that reveal the secret of a Technique or Rune upon reading (perhaps at the cost of an additional point of POW, or something) to quicken things up a bit.