Not sure how I feel...

Tywyll

1 hour ago, Kloster said:

As I'm not a GM, I have not (and will not) purchase it (it contains scenarii). Is it the same as the one from RQIII 'Gods of Glorantha' (but nicer, of course)?

Kloster

It's similar, but has more Cults' Holy Days included. And has pretty pictures.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kloster said:

Thanks. I will try to get it once we have played all the scenarii.

Kloster

Gah! "Scenario" is from Italian, not Latin. And this isn't an Italian language forum anyway. Some words in English have been adopted in both the original language's singular and plural, e.g. datum and data. Some words are just borrowed in the singular, and we use English plural rules. Scenario is such a word, in English the plural is scenarios, in Norwegian it's scenarioet, in Dutch it's scenariootje. The Italian plural of scenario "scenari" is only used in Italian.

(B) Sorry. Couldn't restrain myself. I won't do it again.

B - This indicates that the rumor is generally true but that it also has a substantial false component

...and it ends with a single "i", not two. Just to be insufferably pedan precise.

Plus, given the importance of Holy Days for character power management, and the fact that RuneQuest is no longer generic but tied to a very specific setting... perhaps the holy days for the cults that player characters are invited to join at character creation time should have been in the core book ? Just to be precise, again (see above).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

2 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Plus, given the importance of Holy Days for character power management, and the fact that RuneQuest is no longer generic but tied to a very specific setting... perhaps the holy days for the cults that player characters are invited to join at character creation time should have been in the core book ? Just to be precise, again (see above).

They are. See the Cult descriptions in the Rune Cults chapter.

If you want to be 'precise'.

But, of course, the Lingua Franca here is (ironically) ENGLISH (which is roughly 0.1% of the rootstock of the original "Lingua Franca..." hence, irony).

And English verbs the nouns and nouns the verbs.  English pursues other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

What's worse, this is a nerdy-geeky forum.  We take what "rules" English claims to have and deliberately abuse them.

We pluralize "octopus" as "octopi".  We pluralize "Moose" as "Meese."  We Latinize Greek words, and enGreek the Latin.

As soon expect to stop the Red Moon from waxing and waning, as always expect formally-correct language use HERE, of all places.

We are all Geeks like Us.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Just reviewed the GM Screen Pack calendar.

It IS very pretty; and very useful!

But ...

I'm clearly going to need (for my group, for my campaign) to produce my own calendar, or modify one from somewhere online.  It is, like much of Gloranthan lore, Too Much for newbies.

For my campaign -- and it's not clear at this point whether I'm going with my original plans to RQG-convert Borderlands&Beyond, run pure-RQG-original scenariae, or Do Something Else -- I'll want a calendar showing ONLY the PC's cults Holy Days + local dominant culture (e.g. all Lightbringers in Sartar; CultsOfPrax cults for B&B; etc), and not much more.  What's "common knowlege" and PC-specific; not a comprehensive, canon-infodump perspective!!!

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

Just reviewed the GM Screen Pack calendar.

It IS very pretty; and very useful!

But ...

I'm clearly going to need (for my group, for my campaign) to produce my own calendar, or modify one from somewhere online.  It is, like much of Gloranthan lore, Too Much for newbies.

For my campaign -- and it's not clear at this point whether I'm going with my original plans to RQG-convert Borderlands&Beyond, run pure-RQG-original scenariae, or Do Something Else -- I'll want a calendar showing ONLY the PC's cults Holy Days + local dominant culture (e.g. all Lightbringers in Sartar; CultsOfPrax cults for B&B; etc), and not much more.  What's "common knowlege" and PC-specific; not a comprehensive, canon-infodump perspective!!!

It also has one or two wee errors...

3 hours ago, g33k said:

But, of course, the Lingua Franca here is (ironically) ENGLISH (which is roughly 0.1% of the rootstock of the original "Lingua Franca..." hence, irony).

And English verbs the nouns and nouns the verbs.  English pursues other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

What's worse, this is a nerdy-geeky forum.  We take what "rules" English claims to have and deliberately abuse them.

We pluralize "octopus" as "octopi".  We pluralize "Moose" as "Meese."  We Latinize Greek words, and enGreek the Latin.

As soon expect to stop the Red Moon from waxing and waning, as always expect formally-correct language use HERE, of all places.

We are all Geeks like Us.

I find the irony of Lingua Franca to be that it refers to a 'language so widely used as to be universal', in a language that is more widely used and universal. I think the monks were 'avin' a little joke at Charlemagne's expense...

And the plural of Moose is obviously Mooses. Meese is the diminuitive plural of meeces, meaning many miceicles.

And in an only loosely-related point: Man, I love me a neologism.

Also, even if you take the native English speakers here (and I'm being generous... ;) ) there are both left- and rightpondians, so 'correct' structure and especially spelling is going to be difficult to pin down.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, womble said:

Also, even if you take the native English speakers here (and I'm being generous... ;) ) there are both left- and rightpondians, so 'correct' structure and especially spelling is going to be difficult to pin down.

Nonsense.

The Queen's English is the only correct form.

Anyone varying from Shakespeare Shaksper Shakspe Shakp Shakspere Shakspeare The Bard is obviously doing it wrong!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 hours ago, g33k said:

For my campaign -- and it's not clear at this point whether I'm going with my original plans to RQG-convert Borderlands&Beyond, run pure-RQG-original scenariae, or Do Something Else

Simply do all of them! :) 

For me it's gonna be RQG and at the moment I'm leaning towards starting with Borderlands as an introduction to the setting and the rules, then I'll segue to Griffin Mountain probably, or perhaps Big Rubble. After that perhaps Eleven Lights, and then we'll start 1625+ with RQG-originals.

I want my players to experience the classics, and also the recent history of the RQG standard starting time for themselves. I think Borderlands is better suited as a first series because it's less sandboxy than either Griffin Mountains or Eleven Lights. I think sandbox is fine but when you're new to a system/setting it can be hard.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:33 PM, drablak said:

Simply do all of them! :) 

For me it's gonna be RQG and at the moment I'm leaning towards starting with Borderlands as an introduction to the setting and the rules, then I'll segue to Griffin Mountain probably, or perhaps Big Rubble. After that perhaps Eleven Lights, and then we'll start 1625+ with RQG-originals.

I want my players to experience the classics, and also the recent history of the RQG standard starting time for themselves. I think Borderlands is better suited as a first series because it's less sandboxy than either Griffin Mountains or Eleven Lights. I think sandbox is fine but when you're new to a system/setting it can be hard.

Man, I am having this conundrum myself. It was recommended by a few others that I start with The Coming Storm --> The Eleven Lights.

Do you think TCS is necessary to run before Eleven Lights?

28 minutes ago, womble said:

TCS has a chunk of the background and personalities involved, both friends and foes of the protagonists. I'd say it's pretty much necessary to have to support Eleven Lights, though there's not so much to actually 'run'.

Ahhh I see so The Coming Storm is more like Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes in that it is mostly "setting info", and the Eleven Lights is the actual adventure/scenario/module?

1 hour ago, Larry Lovecraft said:

Ahhh I see so The Coming Storm is more like Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes in that it is mostly "setting info", and the Eleven Lights is the actual adventure/scenario/module?

Yes that's it, but they are written to go along each other. All the NPCs referenced in Eleven Lights are described in Coming Storm. It's a great campaign, but not as a first series for players new to RQ and Glorantha IMO. I think it's better to let them adapt to the system/setting first so they can better appreciate 11L when I run it.

1 hour ago, drablak said:

Yes that's it, but they are written to go along each other. All the NPCs referenced in Eleven Lights are described in Coming Storm. It's a great campaign, but not as a first series for players new to RQ and Glorantha IMO. I think it's better to let them adapt to the system/setting first so they can better appreciate 11L when I run it.

I agree wholeheartedly, however my players are not entirely unfamiliar system wise as we play Cthulhu and BRP on the reg, and they will have all played thru the Quickstart and the Gamemaster's Pack scenarios prior to us starting this.  I'm a weirdo and begin planning games super early, so games I start prepping now won't be played until late Spring probably. 

Seeing as how 11L is a "prequel" to the RQG years, I thought going back and playing the years leading up to the 1625 start point would be cool for the group.  

Would you suggest this 'prequel move', or maybe just adapting the Gamemaster's Pack scenarios to the timeline prior to Eleven Lights?  

Thanks for the input and suggestions!

32 minutes ago, Larry Lovecraft said:

Seeing as how 11L is a "prequel" to the RQG years, I thought going back and playing the years leading up to the 1625 start point would be cool for the group.  

This is my plan as well, but my group hasn't played RQ/CoC/BRP before. I'm going to start them off with Borderlands, then probably Griffin Mountain and then 11L. After all that I'll start them on the 1625+ track (hoping that at that point more on the Hero Wars will be out).

9 minutes ago, drablak said:

This is my plan as well, but my group hasn't played RQ/CoC/BRP before. I'm going to start them off with Borderlands, then probably Griffin Mountain and then 11L. After all that I'll start them on the 1625+ track (hoping that at that point more on the Hero Wars will be out).

I could probably look this up on my own, so forgive me, but what time period is Borderlands/Griffin Mountain?

41 minutes ago, Larry Lovecraft said:

I could probably look this up on my own, so forgive me, but what time period is Borderlands/Griffin Mountain?

I think all the previous editions RQ scenarios had a set date of 1618. 11L goes from 1618-1625. RQG starts at 1625. Hence my planned sequence of adventures.

30 minutes ago, Larry Lovecraft said:

I agree wholeheartedly, however my players are not entirely unfamiliar system wise as we play Cthulhu and BRP on the reg, and they will have all played thru the Quickstart and the Gamemaster's Pack scenarios prior to us starting this.  I'm a weirdo and begin planning games super early, so games I start prepping now won't be played until late Spring probably. 

Would you suggest this 'prequel move', or maybe just adapting the Gamemaster's Pack scenarios to the timeline prior to Eleven Lights?  

Thanks for the input and suggestions!

Personally, I'd run the Red Cow Saga first, if I wanted to have the complete thing. In a lot of ways, it's good for newbies, because it starts very focused on the Clan (and therefore a narrow set of Cults and Culture to try and introduce to Glorantha-newbs.

I think this approach would render a lot of the 1625 material somewhat unchallenging, since the characters would be a good way down the road to Herodom by the time the 'default' RQG start date rolls around. 

But I don't think Red Cow as a 'prequel' works, for similar reasons: it starts too early, reaching its peak just before the point where RQG PCs start by default, and if you play with 'fresh out of chargen' characters through the Quickstart, Apple Lane, Cattle Raid etc, your players will be wondering, by the time they get back there after Dangerford, why they had such troubles...

• Like 1