bustapc

Elric vs Magic World

Hi all!

New to the boards and BRP in general.  My first question is, if I have Magic World, is it worth picking up Elric! or can I pretty much do it all with MW?

thanks!

• Like 1

I think it is because Stormbringer is a great game to play. But you will want to pick up the other Stormbringer books too.

• Like 1

I mainly asked because the Elric/Stormbringer books are generally pretty pricey. That said, I did manage to order Elric! last night for a very reasonable price, so... 🤣

IMO there are a few reasons to cinsder the Stormbringer/Elric! books:

First off they have lots of detail on the Young Kingdoms, and other places in the Multiverse.

Secondly they have setting specific rules, such as stats for Melniboneans, Creature of Matik,  information on the Elemental and Beast Lords.

Thirdly, there are some differences in the rules between the games, and editions. Sorcery, for example, is somewhat different between editions.

But since you bought Elric! you can see all this for yourself fairly quickly.

1 hour ago, bustapc said:

I mainly asked because the Elric/Stormbringer books are generally pretty pricey. That said, I did manage to order Elric! last night for a very reasonable price, so... 🤣

Elric is high on flavour and the Young Kingdoms. The rules for Elric and Magic World are quite similar, but I am not an expert on either.

It is worth buying all the old Chaousium games/supplements, in my opinion.

Yes it is definitely worth for the vast amount setting specific stuff, including playable races, specific allegiance rules, creatures, npcs and starting scenarios.  Rules wise, in Elric! you get the demon magic that was cut out of MW.  But if you have Advanced Sorcery for MW you have all the demon summoning rules in Elric! and more.

And typographically Elric! is a much nicier book than Magic World. 

Edited by smiorgan

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

Elric is high on flavour and the Young Kingdoms. The rules for Elric and Magic World are quite similar, but I am not an expert on either.

It is worth buying all the old Chaousium games/supplements, in my opinion.

If I sell a kidney, maybe... unfortunately some of those books are out of my price range, but it looks like between MW and Elric! I can cobble enough together to get a good game going!

The thing I like about Elric! is the slimness of its rulebook. I don't even use the Young Kingdoms material (I run it like Magic World in Lankhmar) but it is my preferred game. It has very similar rules to Magic World in about 2/3 the size of book. If you have one, probably not worth buying the other unless it's a reasonable price.

45 minutes ago, Questbird said:

The thing I like about Elric! is the slimness of its rulebook. I don't even use the Young Kingdoms material (I run it like Magic World in Lankhmar) but it is my preferred game. It has very similar rules to Magic World in about 2/3 the size of book. If you have one, probably not worth buying the other unless it's a reasonable price.

I managed to get a decent copy (in pics, anyway) for cover price plus shipping!

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

You've got two ...

Hmmm...... 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 4:03 AM, bustapc said:

Hi all!

New to the boards and BRP in general.  My first question is, if I have Magic World, is it worth picking up Elric! or can I pretty much do it all with MW?

thanks!

Not really - unless you are specifically interested in the setting, or the summoning magic systems. Bother the demon and elemental summoning systems from Elric! are in the Magic World Supplement Advanced Sorcery. Otherwise there are very few substantial rules differences; Elric! Is a paragon of the layout artists craft, but materially bare the setting there’s little difference.

Cheers,

Nick

9 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

Not really - unless you are specifically interested in the setting, or the summoning magic systems. Bother the demon and elemental summoning systems from Elric! are in the Magic World Supplement Advanced Sorcery. Otherwise there are very few substantial rules differences; Elric! Is a paragon of the layout artists craft, but materially bare the setting there’s little difference.

Cheers,

Nick

That’s good to know, though, as I don’t have Advanced Sorcery.  

9 hours ago, bustapc said:

That’s good to know, though, as I don’t have Advanced Sorcery.  

Advanced Sorcery is definitely worth picking up. expands the demon and elemental summoning rules, adds some interesting powerful spells, necromantic arts, rune magic, and fey magic that dovetails pretty nicely with the Southern Reaches setting detailed in the main book. IIRC, it was essentially a way to get a lot of the material that's in the Bronze Grimoire back into print.

• Like 3

You can do well without any of the Elric! or SB stuff to run a Young Kingdoms campaign. The rules are all in MagW and AdvSorc. Some spells that are in the Bronze Grimoire might seem flavourful, but are highly optional. Setting information is abundant on the net.

One huge reason to have the Elric! book in addition to the Magic World book is the Elric! Digest. The write ups of major NPCs as well as some more typical examples of various professionals is invaluable to a GM in my humble opinion. Nothing really exists like that for Magic World.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chaot said:

One huge reason to have the Elric! book in addition to the Magic World book is the Elric! Digest. The write ups of major NPCs as well as some more typical examples of various professionals is invaluable to a GM in my humble opinion. Nothing really exists like that for Magic World.

*sigh* yet another thing that was going to be in the Chronicler's Companion. Hmm - I should contact Ben about them actually.

;)

• Like 2

The Elric! rulebook is an amazing example of a TTRPG rule book done right. For that reason alone anyone serious about the TTRPG medium should be looking at it.

• Like 2

In passing I saw the thread title as “ Elvis vs Magic World.”  The Southern Reaches face a cultural threat the likes of which no fantasy kingdom has ever seen!

• Haha 5