New Magic World Review

rsanford

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

As there is a clear fan demand, why not make Magic World OGL, in the same way as Chaosium is making HeroQuest OGL?

That way, fans could make their own supplements without any work on Chaosium's part.

My guess is because it represents the core of the BRP system.

SDLeary

10 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

My guess is because it represents the core of the BRP system.

SDLeary

I’m guessing your right. 

A more restrictive community content site as done for CoC might work. It would give fans motivation to do further editing, commission art, put in pdf bookmarks and generally polish the already solid fan work being done.

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

As there is a clear fan demand, why not make Magic World OGL, in the same way as Chaosium is making HeroQuest OGL?

That way, fans could make their own supplements without any work on Chaosium's part.

HeroQuest is a very different rules system to everything else Chaosium publishes. As for MW, we do not feel it is in the company's best interest to make it OGL.

If someone is keen to produce something for MW under license, they are welcome to contact us. 

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:54 PM, NickMiddleton said:

"...we have no problem with ... other MW stuff that was in the works coming out under license, whether as a fan work or by another publisher."

That was 2016, but I don't believe their position has changed.

That is correct. We know that Magic World has a small but devoted following, and we have no issue with Magic World continuing on as licensed/fan-produced product. And we will continue to sell the existing MW releases at chaosium.com and DriveThruRPG.

By the way Coronoides, I really enjoyed your review!  Very well done! I particularly liked how you gave a new angle on Magic World apart from existing reviews!

• Thanks 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!