Do any of the 'Planets' have Rings?

HreshtIronBorne

16 hours ago, Steve said:

So if the Gloranthan planets are of the order of magnitude of 100 times closer than our own Moon, then how small must they be to appear as they do? Surely tiny?

Perhaps they are just the size of palaces or small cities attached to the Sky Dome. (Is the Sky Dome firm or more like a liquid bubble? These places move around after all.)

In a related vein, it might be interesting to compute the actual sizes of the Red Moon and Sun Disk. I suspect we shall find that there must be otherworldly aspects involved or things get too odd. 

1 hour ago, The God Learner said:

In a related vein, it might be interesting to compute the actual sizes of the Red Moon and Sun Disk. I suspect we shall find that there must be otherworldly aspects involved or things get too odd. 

I suspect you're right. A good part of the difficulty here is that we are trying to make sense out of things using our modern methods, and they probably don't apply. For instacne how much of the "known" information we have from official sources has been proven to be true and correct? A lot of the information we get is taken from a particular viewpoint, and might not be correct.

Likewise, with the mythic and metapysical nature of Glorantha some of the "true" details we end up with might not hold up to modern science. We are talking about a place where a mountain could be a sleeping dragon.  

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

36 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

A good part of the difficulty here is that we are trying to make sense out of things using our modern methods

Well, more advanced mathematics were actually used by Erathostenes in 240 BC to compute the circumference of the blue sub-hell (it had an odd sort of globular shape where the dwellers walked around like flies on an apple, and the water didn't drip off it either). Still, I have the experience that in Glorantha there are things the Man-runed were not meant to know.

1 hour ago, The God Learner said:

Well, more advanced mathematics were actually used by Erathostenes in 240 BC to compute the circumference of the blue sub-hell (it had an odd sort of globular shape where the dwellers walked around like flies on an apple, and the water didn't drip off it either). Still, I have the experience that in Glorantha there are things the Man-runed were not meant to know.

I'm aware that the ancients of said globe were able to work out a lot of details about it's size and shape. I'm not saying the residents of Glorantha couldn't have the math to work this stuff out about Glorantha, only that said math might not apply, or be in any way logical or scientific.

We don''t really know how much of modern concepts such as physics and mathematics actually apply to Glorantha. For instance, we know that disease in Glorantha comes from spirits, so germ theory would be on shaky ground.  Does gravity exist? I doubt it, and so I doubt Newtonian laws apply. I think a lot of higher mathematics and geometric laws probably don't apply either. And what does apply probably can be circumvented by Chaos. That leads the question and to how and why objects are in the sky. I suspect the answers are much more mythical and cultural that logical and scientific.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

5 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Likewise, with the mythic and metapysical nature of Glorantha some of the "true" details we end up with might not hold up to modern science. We are talking about a place where a mountain could be a sleeping dragon.  

This is the kind of thing that I was getting at. For example, a while back there was a discussion here on "gravity" in Glorantha (see below).

I feel it's more likely that there's something Gloranthan going on with the relative sizes that planets appear to be when viewed from the lozenge, compared to their actual size - something that doesn't completely correlate with that of objects of a similar size which are a similar distance away from an observer on the surface of the Earth. For mythical reasons,. obviously.

For the "gravity" discussion, see: