Secrets of Berlin - Unveiling the Mythos in Weimar Berlin

MOB

• 1 month later...

Incidentally, if you want to get into the mood for this excellent sourcebook, I wholeheartedly recommend reading Jason Lutes' Berlin trilogy of comics and viewing the crazy, uneven, but ultimately glorious Babylon Berlin (available on Netflix).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotRussellCrowe said:

And surprisingly Babylon Berlin is available in Canada on Netflix so I shall be watching it!

It became available last October, but it just popped up as "new" again because they split it into two seasons. Same content, different numbering.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:35 PM, MOB said:

We'll be releasing the PDF next week.

Please note, the new title of this release is:
BERLIN: THE WICKED CITY
Unveiling the Mythos in Weimar Berlin

Hi, MOB. 

Is it possible to release the table of contents?

Edit: Also, when will Bits & Mortar get the PDF, same time you release it or when the book physically ships?

Thanks!

Edited by NotRussellCrowe

18 hours ago, NotRussellCrowe said:

Hi, MOB. 

Is it possible to release the table of contents?

Here is the blurb:

BERLIN: THE WICKED CITY
Unveiling The Mythos in Weimar Berlin

CHA23161-H
MSRP $44.99
ISBN-13: 9781568824178
Hardcover
272 pages
By David Larkins with Mike Mason & Lynne Hardy

The Wickedest City on Earth

In the aftermath of the Great War, Berlin maintains a reputation for licentiousness. A place where anything can be had for the right price. It is a city of both hedonism and business; its streets overflow with disabled veterans, prostitutes, destitute immigrants, and political agitators—all rubbing shoulders with buttoned-down businessmen, scholars, and artists. The gutters run with the blood of political assassinations, where Communists and völkisch Nationalists clash with each other and the police. Long into the evenings, Berlin’s world-famous cabarets offer music, dance, and titillating entertainment in stark contrast to the gray buildings that run on for endless miles along the sprawling city’s byways.

Into this bubbling stew, Berlin The Wicked City introduces the weird elements of the Cthulhu Mythos—a hotbed of secret organizations, sinister cults, and half-whispered lore. Amid the wicked air of the world’s capital of sin, the very nature of what it means to be human is questioned. And as the city hurtles toward its inevitable dark destiny, the oppressive atmosphere pushes the sanity of investigators to its breaking point.

This book presents an overview of 1920s Berlin as it would be experienced by visitors and residents of the time. Guidelines are presented for creating investigators for Berlin-centric campaigns, as well as investigator organizations to help bind groups together. Find notable personalities, key locations, and a system for generating details of the urban landscape on the fly. With the city’s crime and punishment, underworld, and high culture detailed, the tools provided help the Keeper gain an understanding of what makes Berlin unique—and dangerous.

Three scenarios, spanning the history of Berlin between the end of the Great War and the rise of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party, contain colorful details of Berlin and its inhabitants, and may be run as stand-alone adventures or linked together to form a mini-campaign.

In The Devil Eats Flies, Germany teeters on the brink of economic ruin and political chaos. The ghost of a madman stalks the city, turning its own citizenry against itself. To stop a demonic spirit and save a Russian princess in exile, the investigators must strike a bargain with other sinister forces and ask themselves: who else are we prepared to see die in order to save the city?

Dances of Vice, Horror, and Ecstasy takes place in the city’s golden years, when Berlin becomes superficially stable and prosperous again. A bungling sorcerer, a debauched dancer, and a strange cult of gnostic Saturn-worshippers threaten to put all of that to an end and turn Berlin into a pit of madness and depravity.

Schreckfilm sees Berlin racing toward its grim future. The investigators come face to face with a shadowy cabal of the city’s movers and shakers, determined to turn the city’s world-famous film industry toward ill ends. Trapped in a labyrinth of their own making and hounded relentlessly by dark forces beyond their ken, the investigators must confront the fundamental question of what is real and what is illusion.

For Mature Readers: This book deals with mature themes, including drugs and sex, and is intended for mature players.

This supplement is best used with the CALL OF CTHULHU (7th Edition) roleplaying game and optionally PULP CTHULHU, both available separately.

18 hours ago, NotRussellCrowe said:

Edit: Also, when will Bits & Mortar get the PDF, same time you release it or when the book physically ships?

Bits and Mortar gets the PDF when the hardback book goes into retail distribution (July).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Ryhope Wood said:

Now that the Stillwater book is out in hardcover, could I have an update on the release of the print version of Berlin?  I am so looking forward to this one.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:08 AM, MOB said:

Bits and Mortar gets the PDF when the hardback book goes into retail distribution (July).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_0212.thumb.JPG.ce082b86c0e320733c3cc337ec7bac26.JPG

Advance copies from the printer!—the rest are on their way by ship and will be available next month.

In the mean time, pick up the PDF (http://bit.ly/2KZWODJ), and you get the full price of the PDF off the physical book when it is available.
  • Like 4

Hey @MOB, I'm just curious. Would you be willing to share with us what kind of decision-making goes into what gets a Leatherette and what doesn't? Not everything gets a leatherette. Is the leatherette pictured just for staff, or will it be made available to the public? If public, is the group particularly proud of Berlin, hence investment in a leatherette?

1 minute ago, klecser said:

Hey @MOB, I'm just curious. Would you be willing to share with us what kind of decision-making goes into what gets a Leatherette and what doesn't? Not everything gets a leatherette. Is the leatherette pictured just for staff, or will it be made available to the public? If public, is the group particularly proud of Berlin, hence investment in a leatherette?

The leatherette will be available for anyone to purchase, along with the regular hardback version. They are getting shipped together, and we will have (limited) copies available from all three of our warehouses (US, UK, Aus) next month. If you buy the PDF from Chaosium.com beforehand, you will be able to apply your coupon off the cost of the leatherette instead of the regular hardback.

Going forward, we are intending to do special leatherette versions of all releases (over a certain page count). We may even do a small run of leatherettes of existing 7th edition releases too, when it comes round to doing a reprint of them. We'll see what the interest is for the Berlin book.

(We are proud of the Berlin book though, it has come out very nicely.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MOB said:

(We are proud of the Berlin book though, it has come out very nicely.)

I also did not mean to imply that you aren't proud of all your work. My apologies if I unintentionally implied that. I was just trying to suss out in my brain reasons why there is "suddenly" a leatherette for a setting book. 

• Like 1