Sun County Templars' and militiamen's cult ranks

Brootse

It's still somewhat pertinent to this thread in showing that whatever we find out for Sun Dome Templars may not necessarily apply to Stonewall phalangists.

This forum has a usable search function, too.

But I agree a separate thread with the Lodril/Veskarthan discussion quoted might be a good idea.

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 1/24/2019 at 3:18 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

I'm still somewhat hesitant to say that all of Lodril and/or Turos' magics must be elementally derived though. Seems somewhat at odds with his daily-life role as the quintessential common man, farmer and/or village headman.

They aren't. He isn't just Heat (Fire without Light), he is the Peasant, the Volcano, the Spearman, the Sky Spear, the Wrestler of Krarsht, the Obsidian Slave, the Lover of Esrolia, Father of Twins, Ancestor of Agimori and so on. Each facet has runemagic associated with his deeds. In RQG terms, I'd put each Aspect as a separate cult, or perhaps as a subcult of an Aspect, depending on the power. So, Father of Twins is a subcult of the Volcano Aspect, but Ancestor of Agimori is an Aspect by itself.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 1/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

What about his Ten Sons? Are they treated as subcults, or just aspects of the Lodril Cult? They're clearly modeled around the "common man's work", a bit like a combination of Barntar and Durev.

Also, what about the regional equivalencies - Turos and Gerendetho? Gerendetho seems more hunting-focused, while Turos has much less for an elemental Fire-focus in his myths and more of a general power/masculinity focus (there's even KetTuros as a god of urban organization/protection).

I'll admit, from my first readings on Lodril in a specifically Pelorian context, there didn't seem to be much of a Fire-focus at all. It was a lot more written about him working the soil, getting drunk, and being the village headman. With all this explicit elementalism, are we sure we're not letting the God Learners and Caladra/Veskarthan influence Pelorian Lodril here?

Most of the Pelorian sources that have appeared describe Lodril from the perspective of the Yelm and Dayzatar cults. Lodril is very much the god of the Fire Beneath the Earth. He is not an Earth God, but he is associated with several Earth Goddesses (and in more significant ways than the Dara Happans tend to assume).

• 2 months later...