Sorcerers vs Shotguns

Sanke

How do you usually handle spells vs guns when Keeping?

Sorcerers are still humans, so they have 20 or lower HP, and a 4D6 shot can instakill them.

Example: I'm running Masks (Pulp), and now the troupe will face a High Priest in New York and a group of cultists. The players are heavily armed (shotguns, guns and even a spare Tommy Gun).

In my case, due to previous deals with this High Priest, the players gave him drops of their blood, so I will call that he casted "Bind Enemy" (pulp spell, Pulp Core book) before the fight, and will be able only to attack him once he attacks them.

Any other suggestions, ideas or previous succesful experiences? (I think I could double the High Priest HP, since he is a major villain, following Pulp Core Book advice).

Hostages?  A row of innocent victims can keep the heroic sorts from shooting, without preventing a sorcerer from casting...

Illusions?  If there's a whole LOT of sorcerers, the players can shoot for 2-3 rounds before hitting the "right" sorcerer.

More-immediate threats?  The cultist 3' away -- holding a blade gleaming with black ichor -- might seem like the one you NEED to deal with, if you think the sorcerer isn't going to target you THIS round.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

No, no, no.  Not cultists with swords.  This is the 20th century, man!  It’s the mysterious Doctor Satan’s robot, the prototype soldier for his proposed army of world domination.  The thing is the classic 1920s/30s tin can on legs — 8 feet tall, armed with 1d4 or 1d6 claws, 40-ish STR, Move 5 or 6, slow and clumsy but implacable and unstoppable.  Its metal shell provides the equivalent of 10-20 points of kinetic armor; it would take military grade heavy weapons to dent it.  It probably weighs 500-800 pounds but astute player-characters (with successful Idea rolls) may suspect that it is a bit top heavy.

Edited by seneschal
  • Like 2

You are the Keeper....the storyteller. 

Have it go how you want. Just be fair, and as long as it's 'cool' nobody will notice. Also you don't have to explain yourself...you're the boss.

Being a High Priest...I'm sure whatever god he serves will grant some special boon to one of it's minions. Simple Damage Reduction to outright immunity to physical attacks or only supernatural attacks will work. 

Just like I said, make it cool, but don't make it impossible.

Edited by Fallingtower

The Terrible Old Man didn't have any problem handling multiple armed assailants. The Terrible Old Man was never alone, he had lots of companions other people couldn't see, companions capable of rapidly inflicting horrible damage on people he didn't like.

A large armed group can ruin a sorcerer's day, for example in The Call of Cthulhu the group of devil worshippers in the New Orleans woods were rounded up and arrested by the police.

But guns against sorcerers is very risky, especially when attacking elderly sorcerers who have probably seen a lot of guns in their lives.