Attacking Small Creatures

Mechashef

The description of the Nilmerg in the Bestiary states:

Armor: None. However, the nilmerg’s small size forces all
foes to subtract –20% from attack chances against it.

In RQ3 there is a rule where small creatures (including some characters) are harder to hit.

It looks as though this has made it into RQG at least in some form.  I couldn't find it in the rule book.  Is it there?

Presumably a size 2 shadowcat also forces foes to subtract 20% from their attacks?  

If a size 2 nilmerg forces all foes to subtract 20% (not subtract -20%.  RQ authors, please learn maths and logic) then does a size 3 nilmerg force a 10% or 15% or 0% penalty?

• Like 1

I guess "substract -20%" could be a way of expressing that you have to substract 20 from your initial percentage, as opposed to substracting 20% of your score(?). So,if your skill is 50%, with -20% you are left with 30%, but if you substract 20% of 50 (which is 10) from 50%, you end up with 40% chances. 😛 (OK, just joking).

As for the small creatures, I'd rule 10% less chances for every point of SIZ below 4. A certain degree of agility (DEX) should also be necessary for a small being to be harder to hit in melee. 

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

1 minute ago, Runeblogger said:

I guess "substract -20%" could be a way of expressing that you have to substract 20 from your initial percentage, as opposed to substracting 20% of your score(?). So,if your skill is 50%, with -20% you are left with 30%, but if you substract 20% of 50 (which is 10) from 50%, you end up with 40% chances. 😛 (OK, just joking).

A lot of RPGs have the writing convention to write a penalty with a minus and a bonus with a plus. So it is easier to perceive while reading.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

As for the small creatures, I'd rule 10% less chances for every point of SIZ below 4. A certain degree of agility (DEX) should also be necessary for a small being to be harder to hit in melee. 

That would seem reasonable.

On the other hand, RQ often has a granularity of 5%.  As examples see the Skill category modifiers as well as the effects of darkness and wind on combats skills.  So it would seem to be more consistent to have 5% steps.  That would make it a 5% penalty for each point of size below 6.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, prinz.slasar said:

A lot of RPGs have the writing convention to write a penalty with a minus and a bonus with a plus. So it is easier to perceive while reading.

A modifier (or modification or change or variation or whatever) of 10% or -10% is easy to perceive.

A bonus of 10% is easy to perceive.

A penalty of 10% is easy to perceive.

Adding 10% is easy to perceive

Subtracting 10% is easy to perceive.

Subtracting -10% is just stupid.