Honour passion

Humakt

Yeah, Passions mostly go up through 'experience checks''.It's worth noting however, that it is perfectly valid for a GM to award an experience check on a Passion if that Passion has been strongly roleplayed without having to resort to rolling dice to 'enforce' it. If your 'middling-honour' PC consistently upholds their obligations, even to their own detriment, and obeys the strictures of their honour in all their interactions, they've probably earned a check. As their score goes up, they have to work harder, though: once you pass 80% in a Passion, it's "expected" that the PC will cleave strongly to that Passion, and they are always at liberty to reduce their score below 80 if they find the constraints too restrictive.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, womble said:

It's worth noting however, that it is perfectly valid for a GM to award an experience check on a Passion if that Passion has been strongly roleplayed without having to resort to rolling dice to 'enforce' it.

I've had players had Passions to a character if it seems warranted by the character's actions (e.g. the Orlanthi who woke the sleeping Ernalda woman was offered the opportunity to add a Love(x) passion - the player added it).  I've a player now who has a character at 100% Honor - I expect the character to lose some, likely as penalties for their actions.  Roleplaying is definitely a mechanism to directly add to passions, penalize them, or grant experience checks.

24 minutes ago, JohannesH said:

Is Honor important passion for all cultures or does it vary? ie does a Sable rider start with the same % as an Orlanthi? How about professions or cults?

Most cultures have a concept of honour, but the details will of course vary. Some cultures will have different opinions on thralls/slaves, killing women, harming birds, and mistreatment of invalids, children, domestic animals, and foreigners.

Edited by PhilHibbs

There may be a certain element of know-it-when-I-see-it from one person to another, there is a nice line it one of the Aubrey-Maturin books where one chides his friend  along the lines of "I shall not pretend to instruct you on what is honourable...". He is effectively saying that in his opinion the other is contemplating dishonouring himself, without formally accusing him of being without honour, which would likely require a duel between the two. In strongly stratified or caste societies one class might have quite different notions of honour from another. On the whole though most people agree with the rest of their society about what honourable behaviour demands of any one person, and there are severe social consequences (ransom, marriage, advancement in cult) for those who have flouted the norms. 

11 hours ago, g33k said:

And IMHO some cultures will see most "codes of Honor" as being ... more what you'd call guidelines, than actual rules...

And people from those cultures will tend to have lower Honour scores...

It's arguable that most RW honour codes boil down to 'be true to your word and give respect where it's due'. The variations are mostly in who honour applies to (both as in who is expected to be honourable, and who honourable people are expected to apply honour to).

I see honour are being aligned to the core principles of one's own culture. Those with high honour values are people who act in accordance with what society expects of them, whatever that may be. Trolls could have high honour, but be perceived by Sun Domers as lying cheating SOB's. This can lead to great role play when individuals from different backgrounds, both with high honour, fail to see the honour in the others culture. The Aubrey-Maturin books are a good example, as both characters trusted and respected each other, but on some points did not see eye-to-eye.