Guided Teleportation destnations

PhilHibbs

Guided Teleportation

This nonstackable spell always returns the caster to a specific
spot made sacred to Orlanth through a complicated weeklong
ritual. This spell has no range limitation.

Does this mean that once you  have sacrificed for the spell, you have to then perform this ritual before using it? Or, do temples typically have a pre-prepared sacred location that can immediately be used if you acquire the spell there?

Can you repeat the ritual as often as desired to set alternative destinations?

Does the location have to already be sacred to Orlanth, or can any location be made sacred, such as through a Sanctify spell?

Can the spell be traded using Issaries magic, and if so can the recipient use the original caster's locations, or do they have to make their own?

I was about to post this on the official Q&A thread but it's better to have it out in the open for anyone to chime in with opinions.

IMO:

- yes.

- no, I'd say every caster needs to specify their own location. Perhaps a temple premade point saves you the ritual.

- yes, but you can only have one destination to teleport to, the last one you've made the ritual for.

- any location

- the receiver of the traded spell must do his own ritual to determine the location.

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

33 minutes ago, Thyrwyn said:

How about: each time you gain an RP, and choose to learn this spell, you gain another “spot”. The ritual is still required to set the actual destination. If you have more destinations than “spots”, you may choose which one to forget. 

You only learn a spell once. And it costs 3 RP. In effect you would be spending 3 POW for another destination and 3 RP but no actual new spell. It seems a bit much to ask for 3 POW for each target, although that's how it used to work.

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Does this mean that once you  have sacrificed for the spell, you have to then perform this ritual before using it? Or, do temples typically have a pre-prepared sacred location that can immediately be used if you acquire the spell there?

I think the location has to be sanctified before you can use the spell, so you are setting up a sacred destination point for the spell. 

Temples could well have a pre-prepared place for you to use. In RQ2, the Lunars filled the Orlanth temple in Pavis with sand, to stop Orlanthi using Guided Teleport to return there.

Can you repeat the ritual as often as desired to set alternative destinations?

I think so, but I would play that this moved the location to the new one. You cannot have different locations to Teleport to, in my opinion, unless you do this using a HeroQuest or something similar.

Does the location have to already be sacred to Orlanth, or can any location be made sacred, such as through a Sanctify spell?

No, the spell sanctifies the location.

Can the spell be traded using Issaries magic, and if so can the recipient use the original caster's locations, or do they have to make their own?

All spells can be traded.

I would play that the use of the spell just uses the current sanctified area, as you are not trading the whole spell, just a use of the spell.

All of the above is in my opinion, of course.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

37 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I would play that the use of the spell just uses the current sanctified area, as you are not trading the whole spell, just a use of the spell.

Ah good point, you "cast" the spell to trade it.

And I suppose if someone steals the spell and uses it, they end up in an Orlanth temple, which may not be ideal for them.

Edited by PhilHibbs

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

You only learn a spell once. And it costs 3 RP. In effect you would be spending 3 POW for another destination and 3 RP but no actual new spell. It seems a bit much to ask for 3 POW for each target, although that's how it used to work.

It costs 3RP to cast. Each RP you sacrifice for allows you to a learn a new spell. I’m suggesting that you treat each destination as a different spell. 

• Like 1

I wrote a story about this very topic a long time ago. I hope it is illuminating...

http://rpgreview.net/mob/ahardlanding.htm

A Hard Landing 

First published in Tales of the Reaching Moon issue #9 
Copyright © 1990 by Michael O'Brien

"Come on Murph old pal, you gotta sponsor me in. I can handle a blade as good as anyone, and I've always wanted to be a Humakti... ...So why've I been an Orlanthi all these years? Sucked me in with all that 'call of adventure' crap didn't they? Look, I realize I'm a hell of an ugly bastard right now, but no-one ever got blackballed from Humakt for havin' pimples. Besides, they reckon the rash'll be gone by Windsday next... ...How'd I know that? Bloody priests sent the Impests against me didn't they. That's why I want out of Orlanth. Pull up a pew Murph and I'll give you the full story... ...Nah, I won't sit down meself, they gave me piles too.

"You know how we Orlanthi gotta do our annual six weeks workin' for the priests, well, last year I found meself fightin' Thanatari broo - got laid up with the border sneakin' food an' stuff into Whitewall. This is back when there was talk that the Crimson Bat was comin' down to finish off them Volsaxi rebels. The most terrifyin' six weeks I ever spent in me life, Bat or no Bat. Well, the rebels are still there, and your priest's always got some broo to kill someplace, so this year I think to meself, there's gotta be some soft option I can take for me cult service where I don't have to put meself at risk.

"That's how I line meself up for this job standin' guard in the Landing Room at the temple. "What could be easier?", thinks I. Standin' around all day watchin' out for the odd Storm Voice or Wind Lord teleport in. Six weeks hobnobbin' with the gentry, never findin' meself on the wrong end of a broo, what a breeze!

"Started out all right, didn't it? Bein' holy week an' all, all of them Lords or priests were too busy makin' the winds blow to get themselves into trouble. I just stood around all day lookin' at the murals. Bloody nice paintin's they was too. Come Freezeday though, and the runies are off. It's only then that it dawns on me that the only time your priest or lord's gonna beam in s'when he's got more trouble than he can handle: and if a Wind Lord can't handle it, what hope have I?

"First back is the Wind Voice Aleous, yeah the guy they burned last Windsday. Well, what was left of 'im. Stupid bastard went to do a deal with the Inhuman King. Beams in blackened to a crisp. Seems ol' snake-face didn't get the gist of what he was on about and torched him. I hollered for the medics of course, but there wasn't much even Chalana Arroy could do.

"I'm down on the floor scrapin' up what's left of Aleous (yeah, I forgot to tell ya, I find out then that it's me who's gotta do the cleanin' up), when all of a sudden SPLAT! Thumpin' down next to me I see a great pile of iron, tin, silver an' stuff, spread flat over the floor. I have to look again before I realise there's a guy inside it! So, once more I holler for the meat-wagon, and they rush in, throw him on the stretcher and cart him off quick smart.

"I got the full story from one of the medics later. It seems Ignatius Orvost was tryin' to notch up his seasonal quota of elves, when one shoots out his sylph from under him. Problem was, the crazy bugger was half-a-mile up when it happened. "No hassle", thinks Orvost just before he hits the ground, "I'll just Guided Teleport out." Forgot that he was carryin' a heck of a lot of downward velocity didn't he?. Boy he hit that floor awful hard! My medic friend reckons it took the Healers and a tinsmith two hours to cut him out of his armour. Later that week a similar thing happened when Horseface Pandarus beams in at full-tilt on his warhorse. That's how those murals on the west wall got smashed off.

"Now, I got great respect for them Healers (fixed me well and good after me run-in with them broo last year), but I wouldn't want to be one of 'em either. You know that party that set off to kill chaos in Snakepipe Hollow? Yeah, the one that I would'a been in if I hadn't lined up the Landing Room job. Well, it seems that they didn't get far into the 'pipe before they run smack into a stinkin' Walktapi. They set about destroyin' the thing, and all but their leader Caspian Vur remembers to hold their breath. Now, this Wind Drake Vur takes a gust o' gas up the beak and decides to bail out, takin' the whole party with him. This is fine I guess, except one of his Storm Bull pals has already cast his Berserk spell and appears in the Landing Room all itchin' for a fight. It took six Healers to calm him down, but not before he'd sliced up half his pals, split me shield in two and belted the plaster off the east wall.

"T'was 'bout the end of truth week and I'm near half-way through me cult service when I really stuffed things up though. Nothin's happened for near on a week, and I'm bored stiff thinkin' maybe fightin' headhunter broo weren't all that bad, when all of a sudden this Lunar guy teleports in, scimitar in one hand, a severed head in the other. Now, it don't take much nouse to work out that maybe this guy is Thanatar or somethin', and he's snicked off some poor sap of a Storm Voice's head and is usin' his spells to get around. So before he gets his bearin's I hit him, hard, and I hit him again, and again, 'til he stops movin'. Then I yell for the guard. What else could've I done?

"Only then do I find out that this guy I've just creamed is an Orlanthi secret agent, who's managed to sneak in disguise into the Lunar camp to kill the commander. That's whose head it was.

"Now old Leonidas the High Priest didn't take it too well, me killin' one of his best agents, particularly after the Healers couldn't get him back. Still, me intentions were honest - I'm told the suspicious bastard even went as far as askin' the divine to check me up - so Leonidas can't chuck the Wind Fists at me, thank Luck. Even so, he gave me the Impests... ...yeah, I know its rude to scratch yer arse in public, Murph, I've rubbed it raw this last week... ...and I've still gotta do six more days out at the tin mine before me cult service is up.

"Anyway, come next Windsday I want out. Who wants to end up a Wind Lord if the Landing Room's all I got to look forward to?

..."So ya reckon you can get me inta Humakt, huh. Great!... ...Have I heard tell of your Rune Swords and their duellin'? Nah Murph, do tell... 

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6