So I can finally make this official.

Sean_RDP

On 1/24/2019 at 2:26 AM, Sean_RDP said:

I said someone will take a chance on a Magic World license, turns out that someone is me.

https://reigndragonpress.weebly.com/news/sean-hillman-of-reign-dragon-press-signs-limited-license-to-publish-a-setting-for-use-with-chaosiums-magic-world-rpg

I am happy and nervous as heck. 

Insider knowledge! That's cheating!

Glad you have done this.

If you put things out as PDFs, I'll buy them, even though the Magic World setting/rules don't interest me that much. I like to support people who make the effort, although my support won't make you a millionaire, I am afraid.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

Insider knowledge! That's cheating!

Glad you have done this.

If you put things out as PDFs, I'll buy them, even though the Magic World setting/rules don't interest me that much. I like to support people who make the effort, although my support won't make you a millionaire, I am afraid.

Now everyone knows why I was asking such leading questions on the forums the past few months. 

And they will be in PDF format first, exploring POD or small print runs as well. And all support is appreciated. And who knows, this setting may surprise you.

• Thanks 1

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

17 hours ago, Sean_RDP said:

And they will be in PDF format first, exploring POD or small print runs as well.

I've bought many books (more than I care to think about, really) from DTRPG over the past years and they do a good job. They've all been of good quality. In fact, I can't think of a single one I've had an issue with. I wish I could say the same for books I've bought from Lulu.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2019 at 5:21 AM, dawnrazor said:

This is awesome! So, where do we follow your progress in this department?

Right now, here on the Magic World forums and on the Quest21 forum in the D100 family of games further down. I will make occasional blog posts in other spots but will announce when I do

• Like 1

A bit late but there are a lotta forums...

On 1/25/2019 at 1:03 PM, soltakss said:

Count me in.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:08 PM, Sean_RDP said:

Now everyone knows why I was asking such leading questions on the forums the past few months. 

I have always found you to be a valuable member of the BRP community. I would love to support you! With MW on sale maybe I will grab one too...

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

3 hours ago, Sean_RDP said:

Okay, now I am feeling the pressure :) But glad folks are looking forward to this. 

No pressure... mon!

Here's a little song I wrote

You might want to sing it note for note

Don't Worry

Be Happy

In every life we have some trouble

When you worry you make it double

Don't Worry

Be Happy

Don't Worry

Be Happy, now

ooo ooo ooo, ooo ooOOooOO

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 4 weeks later...

Listen I will buy at least the pdf hen it comes out and maybe even the actual book, but I gotta ask this question:

You are making this as a supplement for Magic World, correct? But Magic World is dead according to Chaosium. I mean, you can order it directly from them, for now, I guess until the supply is gone...

What are your thoughts on that?

On 6/26/2019 at 7:09 PM, Lou Goncey said:

Listen I will buy at least the pdf hen it comes out and maybe even the actual book, but I gotta ask this question:

You are making this as a supplement for Magic World, correct? But Magic World is dead according to Chaosium. I mean, you can order it directly from them, for now, I guess until the supply is gone...

Chaosium isn't "killing" MW, despite how commenters talk about it.

They simply are putting in no more Chaosium resources.

But they specifically cited that they'd happily do fan licenses and 3rd-party commercial products... And here one is!

Chaosium mentioned recently that they have a /LOT/ of MW core rulebooks in-stock, so running out of them is unlikely.

And if this project causes sufficient interest for Chaosium to unexpectedly run out of stock...?  Well, I cannot speak for them, but I suspect they'd be willing to revisit the question, and consider reprinting the book.  They are kinda pragmatic that way -- if it sells, they will keep it going (they discontinued MW specifically because it wasn't selling).

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/26/2019 at 10:09 PM, Lou Goncey said:

A good and complicated question.

From the beginning I understood exactly what the situation was. And in my interactions with Chaosium (all good I am happy to say, at least on my end) they made their stance on MW clear. I also understand some (though by no means all) of the issues MW had when coming out. I know very little of the internal issues or why some decisions were made. And frankly none of that is my business or relevant to what I want to do. I do know that many people worked very hard on MW and the setting that came with it. I'd like all of them to be able to smile and see their game risen up, even if only briefly.

At it's heart Magic World is not just a good system, but a great system. It is not Runequest or D&D; its origins lie in a different kind of fantasy. To re-kindle interest in the system is going to require an asymmetrical approach to fantasy that is at once familiar, but also not just pastiche or homage. Something the Stormbringer through to Magic World player can pick up, embrace, and say "Yeah this is ours!". Something new players can pick up and say "Huh, that's different. What system is this made for?"

I would like to imagine that Magic World is not a dead god, but a sleeping god. Or perhaps the sorcerer from The Sword and the Sorcerer, who waits for the proper sacrifice before rising back to life. And once awoken, there is no limit to how far it can go.

And maybe, just maybe, we inspire some others to say "Hey, I have an idea and some resources I can spend on MW content." At the very least maybe some fan works etc... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey Sean,

I am a big proponent of Magic World and have applied the rules (with help from the Big Gold Book) to all sorts of different genres. I also was the first that I am aware of that did a review of the book on RPG.net (And it had some mistakes in it). The problems with Magic World are really two-fold (in my view). The first are errors in the text, poor organization and weak layout. The second is a feeling that the setting material (which is good) is just bolted on and not particularly applicable to the rules. For example Magic Word differs from many rulesets by having outstanding naval rules yet the setting doesn't leverage any of those rules.

Do you agree with this assesment and if so will you be addressing these issues in the next version?

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

19 hours ago, rsanford said:

Hey Sean,

I am a big proponent of Magic World and have applied the rules (with help from the Big Gold Book) to all sorts of different genres. I also was the first that I am aware of that did a review of the book on RPG.net (And it had some mistakes in it). The problems with Magic World are really two-fold (in my view). The first are errors in the text, poor organization and weak layout. The second is a feeling that the setting material (which is good) is just bolted on and not particularly applicable to the rules. For example Magic Word differs from many rulesets by having outstanding naval rules yet the setting doesn't leverage any of those rules.

Do you agree with this assesment and if so will you be addressing these issues in the next version?

Well any errors to the actual rules are still a Chaosium thing; AB&B won't be fixing any of those. We are making rules additions in terms of creatures, spells, and Sorcery vs. Alchemy but otherwise that is not something we deal with. We will be matching up cultures in the setting with the culture types in the rules. But that is not adding rules per se.  (And I know folks know this already but I just like to reiterate for new people coming along).

As for the setting issues, I think we can all agree that the original setting material had tons of potential if it had been allowed room to breathe and time to mature.  Unfortunately it did not.

What we are looking to do is one big fun setting book that has everything a GM needs to run one shots and campaigns using Magic World as the system. This includes using all of the MW subsystems, including and especially the sailing rules. In fact dare I say you may be able to run a campaign that is purely traversing the treacherous seas of the world. (checks notes) Yes you will be able to do that. :)

In answer to the question, we are addressing some of the issues, but the main issue is AB&B is getting to show off its full rigging (see? sailing metaphor) where as the Southern Reaches never got the chance. And we hope folks will be happy with what they get. And we hope that Chaosium will be happy with how we use the license for their game. And frankly I hope we can lure some other fantasy rpg fans from other systems to try MW or to at least use the setting for their games. Whether they be BRP adjacent or something totally alien. 

• Like 4

On 6/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, Lou Goncey said:

But Magic World is dead according to Chaosium.

What we said is while we ourselves are no longer supporting the Magic World line, we know that MW has a small but devoted following, and we have no issue with it continuing on as licensed/fan-produced product.

We will continue to sell existing MW releases at chaosium.com and DriveThruRPG, and look forward to seeing licensed MW material from Sean and others in due course. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...