Let's Build a Town

tooley1chris

So as you may or may not know, I'm attempting to map & populate the Southern Reaches town of Tindale. 

Thought it might be fun if I gave others the opportunity to help populate it.

Got a colorful, loveable, spiteful, evil, religious, corky, grim NPC you'd like to share?

Maybe a neat idea for a craft shop, inn, tavern, smith, vendor, shrine, temple,  or merchant?

Also wouldn't mind seeing ideas for urban adventures

Post it here and I'll find a place for it! 😎

tindale2.PNG

tindale1.PNG

tindale4.PNG

tindale3.PNG

tindale6.PNG

tindale5.PNG

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 2

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Manor Argyris

·        Home of a lord named Hesiod Argyris

·        Brings the party in to investigate a murder

·        The police have their suspicions but no hard core proof.

·        Lord wants the party to take a fresh, unbiased look at the crime and report back to him.

·        The lord’s daughter, Althea was murdered by Oksana one of her servants.

·        Oksana was secretly in love with a farmer in a nearby town.

·        Althea had a misunderstanding with Oksana that resulted in Althea being highly offended.

·        Althea sought to hurt Oksana by having her love arrested on trumped up charges

·        However Althea didn’t know that the laws had changed and that the sentence for the charges was death.

·        Oksana’s love was executed.

·        Oksana concealed her love’s hunting knife and made her way to the manor’s garden and hedge maze where Althea was known to walk alone each morning.

·        Oksana hid in the maze and struck Althea in the heart as she rounded a corner.

·        Oksana left the knife which had her love’s initials engraved in the handle sticking out of Althea’s chest.

·        One of the manor’s gardeners, a lecherous fellow, was pruning the garden when he saw Oksana disrobe near a small cave on the manor’s property and hide her clothes there. Being focused on the naked Oksana he did not notice the clothes she hid had blood stains on them. The gardener has been warned in the past for his wandering eyes and he will not disclose what he has seen willingly for fear he might get in trouble.

·        Another servant knows that Oksana had an argument with Althea but doesn’t know what it is about.

·        Percival the scullery boy once saw Oksana walk with her love in town.

·        Everyone knows that the lovers execution took place the same day as the murder.

·        The only physical evidence found so far is the knife and a strand of red hair.

• Like 3

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

OK, since we don't know anything about the local culture and don't have a plan map, this is going to be very generic.

Looking at the pictures, we have the following:

• Main Street, with various shops, inns and brothels, got to have brothels
  • A Tower on, or near, Main Street
  • A Citadel, containing a Keep
  • An Amphitheatre
  • A Theatre and some kind of warehouse nearby
  • Tent Town, or maybe they are funeral houses, the picture of the Shrines looks as though they are domed buildings rather than tents
  • Many blocks of houses, with smaller houses built on top of each other, perhaps each block belongs to an important family or a clan
  • Nine Shrines, with 8 Shrines built around a central one, two temples are built into the town ramparts, a statue of a deity or guardian, a graveyard of important people is arranged around the Shrines
  • Tent Lord's Home, perhaps a place for a Shaman, or a Nomad Lord, with buildings and tents for outside living
  • Near the amphitheatre are some stupas, perhaps grain stores, a sail-like building, perhaps a temple, another temple with domes in the roof
  • The Temple stands in a square, with a gigantic statue of the Founder, surrounded by smaller Temples to friendly deities and sub-cults
  • A dock or wharf, for small boats. It doesn't look like the coast, so might be on a bank of a river. Not sure what the temporary structure is. No warehouses near the docks, so maybe the buildings outside the ramparts are warehouses
  • Entry Arches - Place where people enter the town

More pictures please and a plan map.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Looking at the waterfront, which I am guessing is a river front? That gave me an idea.

The Fisher Wives

One part business and full time cult, the Fisher Wives venerate Brithyllbren "Trout king" a powerful and legendary being of the river. Brithyllbren ensures the fishing is plentiful only as long as the Fisher Wives offer sacrifices every day to appease the otherwise capricious godling. They also sell charms, clean fish, and run a daylight only fish fry, cooking tasty treats for the folks and travelers. The other fishers do not mind this as the Fisher Wives provide a great service along the river. 

Brithyllbren

Brithyllbren is in reality a fey by the name of Bralbraen, a being exiled from its own shadow home by other fey. Bralbraen wandered for a time, not interacting much with the humans and others of the Southern Reaches. Bralbraen took over an orc tribe for a time but found it was bored. Eventually Bralbraen found Tinsdale and the river. The fey assumed the form of a local legend, the Trout King, and began its own cult of humans. It has resided here in the river for over two hundred years as Brithyllbren.

The Temple Market

The temple is an open air building near the docks. Here the Carpgwrag (carp wives) skin and clean fish brought in by the fisher folk, for a small fee of course. Shadgwrag (shad wives) cook and fry fish for donations and the highest priests, the Craygwrag (Crayfish wives) perform rites and initiate women into the cult as needed. Currently there are twenty (20) initiates and eleven (11) priests. Cora Troutgwrag is the high priest of the temple and has spent a fortnight in the river with Brithyllbren. 

The Cult

The Fisher Wives are all women, either widows or never married but all unmarried as they belong to Brithyllbren. That is not to say they do not take on human partners, which many do, to meet those mortal needs of love and family. But they are beholden to the cult and to their fish god. There are five levels of membership, with no fixed number of members except at the Troutgwrag level, of which there is only one.

Initiate

To be initiated into the cult the woman must be unmarried and familiar with fishing or boating. This translates into a Craft: Fishing or Sailing of 25% or better.  An initiate is not taught any sorcery and may not advance until she has a POW of 16 or better.  They receive special blessings from the priests and must work in the temple one day per week. 

Carpgwrag

Those that show promise and can devote at least half of their time to the cult are tested and invited to become true wives of Brithyllbren The least of these are the Carp Wives.  They must have a POW of 16 and have been cult members for a year. These are taught 1 sorcery spell (see below) by the Troutgwrag.  Currently there are 5 Carpgwrag. 

Shadgwrag

Shadgwrag are those who have at least two years in the cult and are proficient (50%) in their one spell. These are promoted and given a second sorcery spell to use. There are 3 Shadgwrag

Craygwrag

The crayfish wives are second only to the Troutgwrag. They are taught a third sorcery spell and run the day to day operations of the temple. Occasionally one of them will go to another town along the river on a mission for Brithyllbren. There are only two Craygwrag.

Troutgwrag

Cora is the high priest of the cult. She speaks to Brithyllbren at least once every moon and it is said he takes her beneath the river for trysts from time to time. 

Cult Sorcery

Cora knows all of these spells (and perhaps more, non cult sorcery spells). 

• Animal Friendship
  • Banish Tumult (water only)
  • Bounty of the Sea (Cora or the Troutgwrag only)
  • Guide Water
  • Summon Elemental (Cora or the Troutgwrag only) (water elemental only)
  • Wave Walking
  • Like 4

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

7 hours ago, Nick J. said:

@tooley1chris How much influence do you see Drumhold or Belehold having on the place? What's the town's main industry?

Being upriver and near the mountains I'm imagining lumber, herding, mining, or somesuch.

Haven't worked on the exterior politics just yet. Grains, lumber, fish, and tin will be the major exports. There will be pretty expansive wheat fields and farmsteads outside of town. I've been working on mapping and NPCs more than anything so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

On 1/28/2019 at 1:02 AM, tooley1chris said:

Great stuff! Here's a very zoomed out pic of how I'm probably segregating the districts. The districts names aren't set in stone.

Ah, Tent Town is a cemetery, as I suspected, that makes sense.

Thanks for the map, that makes things easier.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The Sunchasers

In the lower market is a modest building that once housed a small commune of weaver women who made money sewing clothes. The Weaving Widows all eventually died off (the last two from plague) and their house / business was sold to five soldiers from the south who had once served in a military order. This was five years ago and ever since, the Sunchasers (as they call themselves now) have been a fixture around town.

Interrogators for Hire

The Sunchasers are known for three things here in Tindale:

• Drinking
  • Hunting down of Sorcerers
  • Getting Information

It is said their leader, Yustinian, was trained to be a master torturer and knows how to gain information from the most tight lipped of men. The other four members of the Sunchasers have their own reputations as well, some of them not good. Despite this, they are good neighbors and good tippers.

The Sunchasers

• Yustinian Fairhart - human warrior (m)
  • Haerindeel Blade - elven assassin (f)
  • Gossymer Ghan - human archer (f) 
  • Shorter Rex - dwarven warrior (m)
  • Tok - human sorcerer (indeterminate)

• Like 1

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2019 at 10:41 PM, Sean_RDP said:

The Sunchasers

• Yustinian Fairhart - human warrior (m)
  • Haerindeel Blade - elven assassin (f)
  • Gossymer Ghan - human archer (f) 
  • Shorter Rex - dwarven warrior (m)
  • Tok - human sorcerer (indeterminate)

Working on these outstanding citizens now 😎

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, Sean_RDP said:

The Fisher Wives

Started on this neat idea. I may cut their numbers down a bit tho. Not sure yet...🤔

I MAY use my conversion of Net Book of Witches & Warlocks for this cult

EDIT: OK I've decided against using witches for this cult. Keeping it simple :)

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, Sean_RDP said:

The Fisher Wives

OK Ive got the open air shrine to Brithyllbren done. His culthood is almost done as well. Having fun with this :)

I've made the members who are Shadgwrag  through Troutgwrag required to shave their bodies of all hair because the Fish god likes his subjects smooth like fish :)

carp.PNG

temple.PNG

cora.PNG

fish.png

• Like 1