Pelorian Weather

Jeff

I thought folk might be interested in some of the notes on Pelorian weather than underlay those climate charts in the RQG core rules. Note that I always put this stuff together in inches rather than cm.

-------------------

Furthest is the wettest city of the Pelorian bowl, at 34 inches, although Talastar receives more rain.

Mirin's Cross is 28 inches. Mirin's Cross gets most of its precipitation in Storm Season. Hot summers and cool to cold winters like Furthest. Something like Topeka Kansas, complete with thunderstorms and tornadoes.

Alkoth is 24 inches (RW comparison - Kiev - the area of the Pripet Marshes). Alkoth is in a convergence zone that gets precipitation both in Fire Season and in Storm Season.

Glamour is 16 inches (Spokane). The presence of the Crater moderates the Northerly winds, but also means Glamour is in a rain shadow.

Raibanth is 14 inches. The presence of the Yelm cult definitely increases the number of cloudless days.  Almost all of the precipitation falls in Fire Season, when the Pelorians worship Entekos the Rain Goddess and Dendara the Good Wife. Water is plentiful though thanks to the Oslir.

Yuthuppa is 18 inches. Cold in winter, hot in summer, with that sort of mugginess that builds up into thunderstorms that explode into short rainstorms.

Elz Ast is 22 inches. Elz Ast is on the White Sea. Elz Ast is an awful place - the Pelorian version of Quebec City. Warm and occasionally hot in summer, cold and miserable in winter even with the Kalikos Expedition. As a result, Elz Ast and Joranit have a distinctive architectural style, quite different from the rest of the Restore and Rebuild look that followed the resettlement of the New Grasslands.

Further west in Talastar and Brolia, you get more rain (maybe as much as 40 inches in Hazard Fort and Dorastor), because of the Rockwoods.

Further east it gets drier. The Arcos valley likely gets around 16 to 20 inches or so, and the Pentan grasslands get even less (probably around 12 to 14 inches). Yes, that means Pent is drier than Prax, but Prax gets its rain in huge useless downpours. And has the Desert Winds.
  • Like 1

While this data might mean something to people used to imperial measurements, people who are used to SI units might find the translation into millimetres precipitation more useful:

Furthest 870
Mirin‘s Cross 717
Alkoth 614
Glamour 410
Raibanth 358
Yuthuppa 461
Elz Ast 563
Hazard Fort 1024
Arcos Valley min 410
Arcos Valley max 512
Pentan Grasslands min 307
Pentan Grasslands max 358

That's a lot more humid than I had expected, really. Furthest is a bit wetter than the German coastal region, and Hazard Fort approaches rain coast conditions.

With most of the precipitation seasonal (Storm Season providing the big monsoon), it does make dry farming of hillsides rather more of a challenge than it did say in North Africa.

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Some approximate Earth, Northern Hemisphere Equivalences to try and put this into context. Earth cities are listed if within about 5% of the listed place in Glorantha.

Furthest (870) gets the same amount of Rain as Austin Texas (870) and Rochester New York (870), which is a little more than Brussels (852)

Mirin‘s Cross (717) gets about the same amount of rain as Belgrade (691), or Dublin (758)

Alkoth (614) gets about the same rain as Bucharest (595) or Barcelona (640)

Glamour (410) gets about the same amount of rain as Salt Lake City(409) and San Jose, Cal. (402))

Raibanth (358) gets about the same amount of rain as Athens (365)

Yuthuppa (461) gets about the same amount of rain as Sacramento (470)

Elz Ast (563) gets about the same amount of rain as Budapest (563)

Hazard Fort (1024)  gets about the same amount of rain as Buffalo NY (1028), Saint Louis (1040) , or Washington D.C. (1009)

Arcos Valley (410-512, average 461) ranges from a low of Salt Lake City (409) to a high of Kharkiv, Ukraine (525) or San Francisco (525), but averages about the same amount as  Sacramento (470) or Glorantha's Yuthuppa

Pentan Grasslands 307-358, average 333), ranges from a low of about the same as Los Angeles (326) to a high of Athens (365), but seems closes to the aforementioned L.A.

Now one thing to keep in mind here that I neglected is how many days that rainfall happens over. A place that gets 4mm of rain every week will be veery different than a place that gets 1mm of rain a wekk for half the year, and 7mm a week for the other half. 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

14 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Some approximate Earth, Northern Hemisphere Equivalences to try and put this into context. Earth cities are listed if within about 5% of the listed place in Glorantha.

Furthest (870) gets the same amount of Rain as Austin Texas (870) and Rochester New York (870), which is a little more than Brussels (852)

Mirin‘s Cross (717) gets about the same amount of rain as Belgrade (691), or Dublin (758)

Alkoth (614) gets about the same rain as Bucharest (595) or Barcelona (640)

Glamour (410) gets about the same amount of rain as Salt Lake City(409) and San Jose, Cal. (402))

Raibanth (358) gets about the same amount of rain as Athens (365)

Yuthuppa (461) gets about the same amount of rain as Sacramento (470)

Elz Ast (563) gets about the same amount of rain as Budapest (563)

Hazard Fort (1024)  gets about the same amount of rain as Buffalo NY (1028), Saint Louis (1040) , or Washington D.C. (1009)

Arcos Valley (410-512, average 461) ranges from a low of Salt Lake City (409) to a high of Kharkiv, Ukraine (525) or San Francisco (525), but averages about the same amount as  Sacramento (470) or Glorantha's Yuthuppa

Pentan Grasslands 307-358, average 333), ranges from a low of about the same as Los Angeles (326) to a high of Athens (365), but seems closes to the aforementioned L.A.

Now one thing to keep in mind here that I neglected is how many days that rainfall happens over. A place that gets 4mm of rain every week will be veery different than a place that gets 1mm of rain a wekk for half the year, and 7mm a week for the other half. 

Yep. Although the temperatures are quite different in those places! But basically the Pelorian Bowl is a big grassland with cold winters and hot summers. Glamour and Raibanth are particularly dry because of the rain shadow caused by the Crater. Precipitation tends to be in the warmer seasons. 

I personally find northern Peloria to be particularly miserable - cold winters, muggy summers. Its like Minnesota - and that's with the Kalikos Quest!

I don't know how to feel. I checked out the official precipitation stats for cities in my country to compare, and apparently we get ridiculous amounts of rain over here. Trondheim and Furthest are apparently comparable, and Oslo is comparable to Mirin's Cross.

Interesting seeing the comparisons, puts things into perspective. Wouldn't have expected the Elder Wilds/Arcos to be so dry, with the massive forests and all, but it is rather far inland.

9 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I don't know how to feel. I checked out the official precipitation stats for cities in my country to compare, and apparently we get ridiculous amounts of rain over here. Trondheim and Furthest are apparently comparable, and Oslo is comparable to Mirin's Cross.

Interesting seeing the comparisons, puts things into perspective. Wouldn't have expected the Elder Wilds/Arcos to be so dry, with the massive forests and all, but it is rather far inland.

Elder Wilds are continental grasslands and pine forests. They are semi-arid. It is a lot easier to compare Glorantha to the United States than Northern Europe.