Scans of old RQ box covers?

Trifletraxor

Hi!

Is there anyone who has a scan of the box covers of the old Glorantha - Genertela box, the Gods of Glorantha box and/or the Trollpak box (scans of the back of the box would be nice too!) ?

I'm organizing my old RQ collection into binders, and would like to have the box covers in front (my own boxes disintegrated long time ago).

Cheers,

:beetle:

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Triff,

I've got them, and will try to scan them tonight.

Thanks a lot Atgxtg! :)

EDIT: By the way, my email adresse is trifletraxor at basicroleplaying dot com. If the scans get to big for normal email, you can send it through www.send6.com.

Edited by Trifletraxor

On a related question, does anyone have a large, high quality scan of the RQ Deluxe boxed set cover with the female warrior bearing the longspear and wearing the blue cloak, and the chap with the nasal helm, sword, and shield? It's one of the best rpg covers ever published, imo, and I'd love to have a bloody good scan of it for use as wallpaper, for use on my homemade GM screen, etc.

Anyone who has such an image, or can scan one for me, would be the object of my personal worship. ;)

cheers!

Colin

Creator of Radioactive Ape Designs, award-nominated publisher of Atomic Highway and other fine RPG publications!

On a related question, does anyone have a large, high quality scan of the RQ Deluxe boxed set cover with the female warrior bearing the longspear and wearing the blue cloak, and the chap with the nasal helm, sword, and shield? It's one of the best rpg covers ever published, imo, and I'd love to have a bloody good scan of it for use as wallpaper, for use on my homemade GM screen, etc.

Scan in progress. :thumb:

EDIT: I've sent it through www.send6.com as the file got to big for normal email.

Edited by Trifletraxor

I have an extra copy of that boxed set if anyone is itching for it, the contents are in mint condition on both as we always used a friend's copy.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

Copyright issues?

Bingo!

Sort of like the Middle Earth downloads, those are chock full of copyright issues with the pictures. I know one of the illustrators and I am sure he didn't give permission for his images to be duplicated as I believe rights to the Middle-Earth ccg reverted back after printing. I am not going to say anything and make a big issue, but I am not going to contribute to the delinquency, either.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

One thing I always wondered about it just how an artist can copywrite something that is based on another work. For instance if an artist creates a painting that is obviously a scene based on LOTR or Star Trek, how can that artists holdnrights to the image?

I can understand how some thing would be generic and not (i.e.elves), but how could someone copywrite an image of the Enterprise as "original" work?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I'm hoping we don't start another of those interminable copyright discussions, but the copyright is on the expression. So if you and I paint pictures of the same still life, you have a copyright on your expression (painting), I have a copyright on my expression (painting).

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

One thing I always wondered about it just how an artist can copywrite something that is based on another work. For instance if an artist creates a painting that is obviously a scene based on LOTR or Star Trek, how can that artists holdnrights to the image?

I can understand how some thing would be generic and not (i.e.elves), but how could someone copywrite an image of the Enterprise as "original" work?

Well, that depends on who owns the copyright, but, as previously mentioned, you can copyright your take on something, which doesn't mean that you can profit from it, but it does mean that others cannot profit and should seek permission to display the work in not for profit cases. Generally an artist can only present art based on another's work without permission and can sell prints with permission, but usually they get that permission, because they don't want to get sued. However, this doesn't mean that the companies that own the copyrights are annoyed by this. The art in particular that I am talking about are the bad scans of Quinton Hoover's dragons.

edit: this also comes down to respect for the illustrator; if you feel that their art is good enough to use in your product (even a free one) why not let the illustrator know and ask permission? You might be surprised at the answer.

Edited by skarl

• 2 weeks later...

Posting the cover image of a book is a copyright violation likely to be actionable now?

Wow, there are about 1,207,093,675 forum members and bloggers who are going to get their arses sued heavily.

Listen, you drongos: copyright is quite literally the right to make and distribute copies. Once you've scanned the cover and sent a copy to your mates, it makes it no worse if you post it to a forum or blog. You copied and distributed it! At least you can remove it from a forum or blog later, you can't remove it from your mate's hard drive.

Either copy and distribute the covers, or don't. Don't quibble over whether you sent it to your mates in email or posted it on a forum.

Tiwesdæg Clíewen - adventuring in a world where magic is magical, and monsters are monstrous

Either copy and distribute the covers, or don't. Don't quibble over whether you sent it to your mates in email or posted it on a forum.

You miss the key difference between the two. Your "mates" aren't likely to report you for copywrite violation. Especially since they are the ones recieving it, and probably asked for it in the first place.

With an open forum or gallery, anyone can access the image and therefore somebody might complain and cause you some grief.

I once got a very nasty letter from Warner Brothers because of just this situation. Fortunately, they were in error.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Posting the cover image of a book is a copyright violation likely to be actionable now?

That would fall under electronic/digital distribution of an image and the purpose of the distribution. In this particular case if people want the image for personal use the image isn't being used for a review, sale, etc.

The RuneQuest Deluxe box is filled with images, somewhat like a CD. So scanning and distributing an image is likened to downloading a song and distributing just that one song. No big deal, right? :rolleyes:

You miss the key difference between the two. Your "mates" aren't likely to report you for copywrite violation.

Copyright. If you can't even spell it, we can't be expected to take your opinions on it seriously.

Copies were asked for on a public forum.

Let's put it another way. Let's say someone was asking for a pdf of the latest BRP book, and was asking in a forum, and I was openly saying, "sure, I'll send you it". Would the site owners be concerned? Yes. It wouldn't be made any worse by their actually hosting it.

It's pretty ridiculous to be openly asking for and offering scans of the covers to be sent to you, and then getting nervous only when people ask you to post them up.

So scanning and distributing an image is likened to downloading a song and distributing just that one song. No big deal, right?

Don't ask me, I wasn't the one who started this thread, or who asked for scans to be sent to my email address. Those honours fall to trifletaxor, and Colin Chapman. Nor was I the one copying and distributing those files, which honour falls to Atgxtg.

In any case, the cover of an rpg is not like a song in an album, which is like a chapter in the rpg. The cover of an rpg is more like the cover of an album. While its copying and distribution may be copyright violation, the history of the internet shows that companies are unlikely to take action, since it has a promotional effect on their material. You can't listen to an album's cover, all you can do is get curious about it; likewise you can't play an rpg with just the cover, you just get curious about it.

Again, I don't see why it's all happy and chummy through private emails, but is suddenly a horrific sin on a forum. Either is a copyright violation, and neither is likely to be acted on.

So either report this thread to a moderator as piracy, or else quit being a cocksmock and post the damn covers up already.

Tiwesdæg Clíewen - adventuring in a world where magic is magical, and monsters are monstrous

* Sigh * I suppose it's inevitable that this ends up in a skirmish.

There's a difference in degree, if not in kind, in sending a copy to an individual versus posting copyright material on the internet. My sense (based on observation not hard data) is that the chance of enforcement goes up when the distribution goes up.

So, they're taking a practical approach to what they've decided to do. Note that I'm not saying a legal approach, nor saying moral approach, just practical.

FWIW, I don't think that being rude is likely to get the stuff posted.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

* Sigh * I suppose it's inevitable that this ends up in a skirmish.

FWIW, I don't think that being rude is likely to get the stuff posted.

Quite agree - and the only thing I'd add is that, irrespective of the specific legal niceties, quite a lot of cover art etc. that people blithely copy and pass around the internet is art work produced by a living artists and I personally feel one should ask permission and properly attribute ownership of such pieces simply out of respect for the creator...

Cheers,

Nick

Quite agree - and the only thing I'd add is that, irrespective of the specific legal niceties, quite a lot of cover art etc. that people blithely copy and pass around the internet is art work produced by a living artists and I personally feel one should ask permission and properly attribute ownership of such pieces simply out of respect for the creator...

Cheers,

Nick

Which is one of my peeves with the Middle Earth downloads for BRP, especially since I know one of the illustrators. It is always nice to be asked.

Realistically, if you want to see the covers, there are literally dozens of them legitmately being shown on the internet in a variety of stores, who can, of course, legally display the images.