Esrolian Assassin

Snork

3 hours ago, Pentallion said:

The Eurmal spell Strike gives players coming from D&D the most thief/Assassin like feel.  If that's what they're looking for, that's the best way to go.  Trickster assassin.

I considered Eurmal but outlaw and most players not grasping the oddness made me reconsider

2 minutes ago, ajs said:

I considered Eurmal but outlaw and most players not grasping the oddness made me reconsider

Yeah, tricksters are... tricky. Difficult to play, difficult to GM, and difficult for other players to cope with. I've only really done it once satisfactorily, and he ended up being beheaded for serial murder. Oh how we laughed!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Yeah, tricksters are... tricky. Difficult to play, difficult to GM, and difficult for other players to cope with. I've only really done it once satisfactorily, and he ended up being beheaded for serial murder. Oh how we laughed!

Not sure what it says about me but I could easily play one and wouldn't expect them to last very long

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Anyone interested in how tricksters are envisioned needs to read Sandy Petersen's Pamaltelan campaign writeup from ages ago: 

When Mugumma woke up, he found himself in a copper pot. Or at least the upper half of himself. As he peered over the rim, he saw, besides all of us and Mister Man, another pot which held his legs. Both of the pots were suspended over many porcupine skins. Apparently, Mister Man had put himself in Mindlink with Mugumma and then cast Detach Legs on himself/Mugumma. Mister Man declared, “This is his rightful punishment for not giving me money.” When we evinced interest in letting Mugumma out, Mister Man stopped us. “There are two reasons why he should not be let out. One: He will be able to take much pride and accomplishment in getting out all by himself.”

• Like 1

17 hours ago, styopa said:

Anyone interested in how tricksters are envisioned needs to read Sandy Petersen's Pamaltelan campaign writeup from ages ago: 

Apparently, Mister Man had put himself in Mindlink with Mugumma and then cast Detach Legs on himself/Mugumma.

it is, of course, impossible to cast a self-only spell on someone else by Mindlinking to them.

But impossibility is a mere inconvenience to a proper trickster. There should be a "Cheat" spell that allows the caster to ignore one rule per point.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

it is, of course, impossible to cast a self-only spell on someone else by Mindlinking to them.

But impossibility is a mere inconvenience to a proper trickster. There should be a "Cheat" spell that allows the caster to ignore one rule per point.

Mmm, while it's pretty unorthodox, I can see mindlink+self-only spell on the mindlinkee being (broadly) within creative reading of RQ2 mindlink.  Particularly if one interpreted that one cast it on themselves AND the target simultaneously, as is implied from the text...of course, that would then be open for some pretty hefty abuse.  Mindlink your party then cast all your protective magics?

On 2/7/2019 at 12:13 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Strike and Fumble are a great combination, RQG doesn't have the latter unfortunately.

Yet.

It is a Thed spell, so I assume will be in the "Chaos Gods" book for NPCs.

That annoys me a bit, as any PCs in a Gloranthan game might worship 6 cults, perhaps, but their NPC opponents might worship any number of cults, especially Chaos Cults, so I really would prefer the Chaos Cults before PC Cults.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

14 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It's in RQG Bestiary as the short writeup of Thed is there.

Is it really, thanks. I'll have to read the Bestiary again.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 month later...

We played a number of assassin types over time in RQ3...

An elf makes a decent assassin with Camouflage, silence sphere, chameleon and reflection, and cult skills like hide, sneak, and climb.

We house-ruled that Black Fang gave poisons and a poison-proof mask to initiates, and they used hidden hand blades (à la Assassins Creed). I actually played a Black Fang assassin who killed the rest of our party in their sleep with her poisons after they had all attuned to an orb that gave them insane chaos features/powers (her current mission was to kill chaos creatures for bounty). 

Eurmal is great (especially if he visits new shrines), with illusions, Strike, invisibility, hallucination, and whatever other weird spells he can use.

Yinkin/Orlanth has so many tools he can be good at anything. Especially with spells like flight and leap, plus teleportation/guided teleportation from Mastakos, he can get in and out of pretty much any situation. 

Similarly to an elf, a hunter could make a good ranged assassin, with a good sneak, hide and track, and spells like sureshot and multimissile.

Maybe a combination of Uleria and some other god could use its seductive powers to get close.

We also played with ninjas, orcs (small and sneaky, but super strong, and with sorcery spells), and others I'm sure.