The new Dwarves

merrick

22 hours ago, g33k said:

I've got to wonder how much time/attention were placed on "art direction" for this?  I mean, clearly some art of the era is STILL considered a "reference standard" for Glorantha.

Other art... Not so much.  Sometimes it's an actual /change/ to the way "element X" is envisioned; other times, I think there just wasn't ANY clear vision of "element X" so the editor/whoever just shrugged and said "not quite how I'd have envisioned it... But then again I don't HAVE a preferred vision."

The art itself is less important - the important thing about this work was the article in which Greg laid out the Mostali/dwarfs as part of the World Machine with the specific castes, etc.

I have CDM 1,3, and 4 sitting on my shelves. They are all in my Gloranthan sandbox, even if heavily modified. My PCs have never gone anywhere near any one of them...

Ironically I remember the one I don't have (The Lost Shrine) being described in White Dwarf as very Runequesty, whatever that meant.

CDM #2 - The Lost Shrine of Kasar-Khan is the rarest of the four in the Complete Dungeon Master series. It can be linked to the Halls of the Dwarves Kings scenario, as well as the Between Fire and Stone scenario in Tortured Souls issue #6. It's not any more "RuneQuesty" than the others in the series, and none of them are Gloranthan. The dwarven shrine in CDM2 is an ok place to adventure, and probably can be completed in one or two play sessions.  

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.