Could a Thanatari steal Dragon Magic from captured Dragonewts?

EricW

22 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Reread the description of the major head (Cults of Terror p68).

I remember that there were differences in the head spells between RQ2 Cults of Terror and RQ3 Lords of Terror, which means that RQG's head creation spells could go either way.

The description about when a head dies as its rune magic is used is confusing in CoT, anyway, and the mode of how the rune point pool of the head might be regenerated is something we can only guess at.

Given that (per CoT) the priest has to sacrifice permanent POW to Thanatar to get more than one spell out of a head, it is possible that ceremonies on the holy days of Thanatar allow rune point regeneration.

But all of that is only specific for RQ.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Just now, Joerg said:

I remember that there were differences in the head spells between RQ2 Cults of Terror and RQ3 Lords of Terror, which means that RQG's head creation spells could go either way.

Thanatar was not described at length in Lords of Terror.  Could you at least go over the source material before asking your questions instead of making other people do it for you?

13 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Well according to all the sources I've read, at least, dragon magic for Dragonewts is innate and not granted by some higher power.

That's not what is said in the RuneQuest Glorantha Bestiary.  In any case, the source of the magic is irrelevant - I'm describing how it is used by its practitioners.

but true dragon magic seems to be more along the lines of personal abilities, not learned/god-given spells.

Even so, it can still have the look and feel of rune magic when wielded by its practitioners, no?  Assume their is a gloranthan equivalent of Jainism which teaches how to become a Saint.  Any magics that it gives a from the worshippers when he is a Saint at some point in the future.  Is the magic given by a god or innate?  Rather than give a categorical statement that the source of the magic defines its manifestation within the world, I find it wiser to focus on how the worshipper wields such magics.  That is why I said Dragon Magic could be modelled with rune points.

In any case, I would personally say a Thanatari who tries to bind a Dragonewt head would suddenly undergo a traumatic awakening of their dragon mind/dream,

The Thanatari is said to be in mindlink with the Dragonewt Head (ie he controls it has he does a ghost), not in full spiritual union with it.

2 hours ago, metcalph said:

If and only if the Thanatari couldn't use his own rune points to power the rune spells of his head.

Aye. If the head provides the knowledge of how to use the Rune Point, and the RP is the fuel, that'd be so. I'm not sure it's quite that simple, though. If a living person is a member of two Associated Cults, they have separate Rune Point Pools and can't use the points from one to fuel spells from the other, nor can they stack points from both Cults into the same casting of a Common Rune Magic that both Cults provide access to.

If a fully-integrated living spirit can't use Associated Cult Rune Points to cast Special Rune Magic, then it seems to be a stretch that a magical Chimera could use enemy Cult Rune Points to do so.

20 hours ago, Richard S. said:

In any case, I would personally say a Thanatari who tries to bind a Dragonewt head would suddenly undergo a traumatic awakening of their dragon mind/dream, a process which may well kill them unless they somehow prepared for it. If they survive then they can use the dragonewt's magic until the rest of the nest comes to hunt them down, tear their limbs off, and throw them to the dragons. Taking the head seems like it would be as serious a crime as egg breaking.

A middle ground might be to provide safe and healthy Dragonewt head capture as a Thanatar subcult. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2