Vishi Dunn

PhilHibbs

On 4/14/2019 at 9:58 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Further notes on Vishi Dunn for anyone wanting to play the character. I have found a number of places where the character does not match the rules. This may be because he was originally created under a slightly different iteration, so without intending criticism here are the issues that I have found.

• He has clearly not taken the bonuses to two cult skills of +15 and +20 each. All of his cult skills are at the value that you get from base, culture, occupation & cult, apart from Peaceful Cut which should be 10 points higher and Meditate should be 5 points lower and so can't be explained by that.
  • Ride High Llama is at 65, but before personal adds it should be at 60, so can't be explained. Should be either 60, 70, or 85.
  • Likewise Animal Lore and Plant lore are both 45, but should be 40.
  • Speak Tradetalk is 20, should be 25.
  • Battle probably has 5% from family background so that's ok.
  • Peaceful Cut should be at least 60, not 50 (base 10, culture 15, cult 20, modifier 15).
  • Meditate is 40, but should be 35.
  • Track is 10, should be 20..
  • In order to get the rest of the skills to line up, I had to take 7 skills at +10 and 3 at +25, rather than 5 at +10 and 4 at +25.

In numerical terms, he's sold short by 40 points.

Oddly, Cousin Monkey, Vishi's "Boon Companion", doesn't have a Passion such as "Loyalty - Vishi Dunn" or similar.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:23 PM, PhilHibbs said:

What options would you present or allow for the player wanting to advance Vishi Dunn to a full shaman?

He is more or less outcast from his tribe, and even if he could return to undertake the rite, his responsibilities as a High Llama Tribe shaman would largely preclude his adventuring with the rest of the Colymar party. Contriving to have him return to Clearwine once every season just when something interesting happens, that's going to wear thin.

He could switch codes and undertake the shamanic ritual with the local Kolating shamans, but I don't think he wants to do that. He still loves his ancestors, the covenant, and his God-Khan Waha.

Or... just ignore the whole "tribal responsibility" thing. That seems to be the approach in the example sections of the book!

I suspect that my player is going to give up on Vishi and roll something else so we probably won't have to solve this problem anyway.

Vishi is 'intensely loyal to Argrath, almost a zealot.' (Loyalty to Argrath 80% - his highest passion).

If he makes shaman he will probably spend a lot of time working at something Argrath assigns him to, (attached to a military unit, recruiting for Argrath in the spirit world, helping guard his boss from spirt world threats or working on 'special projects' )

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Byll said:

Vishi is 'intensely loyal to Argrath, almost a zealot.' (Loyalty to Argrath 80% - his highest passion).

If he makes shaman he will probably spend a lot of time working at something Argrath assigns him to, (attached to a military unit, recruiting for Argrath in the spirit world, helping guard his boss from spirt world threats or working on 'special projects' )

Sounds good!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 4/17/2019 at 8:23 AM, Shiningbrow said:

Oddly, Cousin Monkey, Vishi's "Boon Companion", doesn't have a Passion such as "Loyalty - Vishi Dunn" or similar.

COUSIN MONKEY, BABOON

Passions: Love (Family) 60% - just sayin'

Edited by Byll
tinkering with fonts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2019 at 3:22 AM, Shiningbrow said:

Personally, I think the problem comes down to his spell selection. While typical and expected for a shaman (and apprentice), they're not great for 90% of the time. And, doesn't help that his boon companion has a couple of cross-overs (Spirit Screen, and Heal, although obviously most would have that).

Vishi has Spirit Binding - but no bound spirits... which is odd as it's basically one of the main reasons someone takes a shaman.

So - change out a couple of spells (give Befuddle and Demoralize, up the Heal to something useful,, and add Protection or similar). And, lose a couple of POW, and add a Spirit (possibly with the aforementioned spells, and/or others).

Not sure giving spirits to a starting adventurer is kosher... But we sure house-ruled it in RQ3! 

9 minutes ago, gochie said:

Not sure giving spirits to a starting adventurer is kosher... But we sure house-ruled it in RQ3! 

hmm, in Family history one can roll a magic item on the family heirloom table—let me check...

here we go if you roll a 12 you get:

An awakened small animal (SIZ 2 or less, such as a cat, a lizard, a bird, etc.) with 3D6 INT and 3D6 POW. Otherwise it is normal for its  species. The animal knows 3 points of spirit magic of the player’s choice. It can speak the adventurer’s language and serves as a loyal companion, but is otherwise independent. See the Glorantha Bestiary for additional information on such creatures.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I think I've come up with a way to offer the path to shamanhood to Vishi without hampering his adventuring ability. He can become a shaman of the White Bull. I'm going to follow Vasana's Saga and he should be ready to attempt it when they get to Pavis. Elusu can cast Charisma on him to give him a better chance (+20%, +25 if he can get his CHA up to 19).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...