Pres Release: Ken St.Andre to Write Mythic Aztecs for Mythras

lawrence.whitaker

12th February 2019

The Design Mechanism (TDM) is thrilled to announce that Ken St.Andre, one of the Founding Fathers of the Fantasy Roleplaying Game hobby, will be writing a Mythic Aztecs supplement for TDM’s popular and acclaimed Mythras roleplaying system.

Ken is the legendary creator of Tunnels & Trolls, the second roleplaying game ever published, and is a pioneer of the hobby, bringing solo play at a time when roleplaying games were in their infancy. Among many gaming achievements, Ken also wrote the first ever Science Fiction RPG, Starfaring, and the superb Stormbringer game for Chaosium. In 2018, he was inducted into The Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design Hall of Fame, and just this year, has published his latest game, Fours (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/265645/Fours-2d-Augmented-Printing?), which presents a simple, innovative game system described in just four pages.

A prolific designer and writer, the Mesoamerican period is of great interest to Ken, and the Mythic Aztecs project is one that he has harboured for a long time.

TDM Director Lawrence Whitaker has a special reason for welcoming Ken to the Mythras team: “Stormbringer was my favourite game for many years, and writing for it brought me into the professional side of the industry. As I’ve told Ken several times, this is all His Fault. It is, of course, an honour and privilege to have the Trollgodfather write a supplement for Mythras – and one that we know will be very popular with fans of mythic history and historical fantasy. We are looking forward to working closely with Ken on this exciting project.”

Mythic Aztecs is planned to follow a similar style to TDM’s other critically acclaimed Mythics supplements: Mythic Britain, Mythic Rome, and Mythic Constantinople. Other planned releases for the Mythics range include Mythic Babylon and Mythic Polynesia.

Mythic Aztecs is anticipated to be a 2020/21 release.

• Like 15

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

15 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

It's on the lower right corner of the post, nclarke. If I could find it, so can you.

But it's not a thumb. How could I know that the stupid software decided to use something other than a thumb for a Thumbs up response.

Nigel

Nigel

Excellent news.

I am a big fan of Alternate/Mythic Earth and can only welcome more settings.

The Aztecs are a really good culture to explore. Of course, I'd then also want the Incas and Mayans.

Mythic Polynesia is also a very interesting and underexplored culture.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Mythic Aztecs is a bit of a surprise - I hadn't thought it would have been released ahead of Mythic Greece for example - but a welcome one. Basically, I like all the 'Mythic' book line, and hope we get many more. I honestly don't know much about Aztec culture or history, so it'll be an education anyway. 

11 minutes ago, TrippyHippy said:

Mythic Aztecs is a bit of a surprise - I hadn't thought it would have been released ahead of Mythic Greece for example - but a welcome one. Basically, I like all the 'Mythic' book line, and hope we get many more. I honestly don't know much about Aztec culture or history, so it'll be an education anyway. 

I don't believe we have said that Aztecs will released ahead of Mythic Greece. 

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png