MiG 3 missing material - assistance sought

Rick Meints

For those of you who may not know, in 1999 I published the MiG2, the second edition of the Meints Index to Glorantha. Its 124 pages did a decent job of cataloging and describing every RuneQuest and Gloranthan related printed publication I could track down. Here is what I wrote on the back cover:

Playing in or collecting literature about Glorantha has often been a challenge. What is out there? What does each thing contain? Within these pages I hope you will find many of the answers to those types of questions. In the long gone days of yore when the second edition of RuneQuest was still in print, the choices were far fewer and you paid the retail price. In today's collector's market knowing what to pick and choose from is essential if you want to save some time and/or money. As much as I could, over the last decade or two I have rummaged through auctions, pestered various experts, raided numerous collections, and spent many a night at my computer compiling this list of products, supplements, and articles. I have tried to be as accurate, complete and organized as possible, while sometimes even being a little humorous. In the end, I hope game masters, players, collectors and the sentimental types (like me) will find this second edition useful.

Fast forward 20 years and that book needs a lot of updating. I've kept collecting all things RuneQuest and Glorantha related, but I know there are many things I am still missing and would like to know about, and if possible document. A new edition of the MiG is not something that will probably get completed quickly. Regardless, I intend to keep chipping away at updating it. Knowing I can't do this alone, I am posting this call for assistance. Here is what I am looking for:

• English Language publications. As much as I would love to document and describe all of the wonderful things written in other languages I don't feel I can do justice in describing anything I can't read. I may compose brief lists of such publications, and will happily make such lists available to all.
  • It has to be a printed publication. This one is tricky. I may reference some PDF only products but there is no way I want to try and tackle internet based resources, e-zines, websites, and similar. Those things are all wonderful and I have read and enjoyed many of them but it's too much for me to want to tackle this go around in my Index. If someone else wants to tackle this range of resources they are welcome to pick my brain.
  • In general I am not going to document unique items or what I call "spirit" items. I love gloranthan bling, but once again those sorts of things are better documented elsewhere. T-shirts, jewelry, and the like are not really my collecting cup of tea. If someone else wants to document these sorts of things I am more than happy to contribute to their project.
  • I will be documenting the miniatures officially produced under license. While these are not "printed publications", I avidly collect them and included them in both editions of my Index. This time around I hope to include a lot more pictures.

Thus, if you know of a magazine article, fanzine, fan publication or similar I'd like to get it added to my list. In case you were wondering about what I documented in MiG2, it covered:

• Chaosium
  • Wyrm’s Footnotes
  • Different Worlds
  • Books by Greg Stafford (including unfinished works)
  • The Judges Guild (supplements and magazines)
  • Wild Hunt and Alarums & Excursions APAs
  • White Wolf Magazine
  • Miscellaneous Magazines.............. 43
  • RuneQuest Miniatures
  • Avalon Hill
  • Heroes Magazine
  • Games Workshop
  • White Dwarf Magazine
  • Reaching Moon Megacorp
  • Tales of the Reaching Moon
  • RQ3 Independent Magazines
  • Tradetalk
  • Pavic Tales
  • RQ Adventures
  • Codex Magazine
  • The Apprentices Guild
  • Independent Products

The magazine list was rather extensive, although undoubtably incomplete:  

• Adventurer:1, 4, 7, 9, 11
  • Alarums & Excursions:46, 48, 54, 56, 61, 65 ( incomplete list) 
  • Book of Drastic Resolutions:  1-3
  • Breakout:34
  • Codex:  1-3
  • Dark Realm:  1, 3
  • Different  Worlds:1-19, 21, 22, 24, 26-33, 35-38, 40, 41, 43-46
  • Dragon:51, 129, 132, 144, 172, 206
  • Dragon Lords:  13
  • Dungeoneer:10-12, 14, 15, 17
  • The Dungeoneer’s Journal:23, 25
  • Enclosure: 1-2
  • Fantasy Chronicles: 3-9
  • Gryphon:1, 2
  • Heroes:  Vol. 1, #1-8 and Vol. 2, #1-4
  • Miser’s Hoard:3
  • Multiverse: 4-5
  • New Lolon Gospel: Vol. I & II
  • Pavic Tales: 1-9
  • Pegasus:2-4, 8
  • Read Pheasant Throughout:1-2
  • RuneQuest Adventures:1-6*
  • Spacegamer:85, and   Vol. 2, #2
  • Tales of the Reaching Moon:1-20
  • Tortured Souls:3, 4, 6, 8
  • Tradetalk: 1-16
  • Valkyre:  5-8
  • ViP of Gaming:  4-5
  • Wargaming: 3
  • The  Wild Hunt:38-48, 50, 52, 53, 55, 57, 156, 162* (list incomplete)
  • White Dwarf:14, 19, 29-65, 67, 69, 71, 74, 75, 85, 88, 90, 92, 94, 96, 98, 101
  • White Wolf:15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 41
  • Wyrm’s Claw:  16
  • Wyrm’s Footnotes:1-14

Lots more to say, but that's enough to start.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 9

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

INCENTIVE: I am happy to share a scan of a rare article or similar to those who help me!

The more you help the more swag I can reward you with, and I am pretty sure I have some swag that would be very tempting.

Edited by Rick Meints

Hope that Helps,

Hum, since MiG2 , I'm not sure there has been a lot of english printed stuff with Glorantha content, outside the well known (Mongoose stuff, Unspoken Word, the Zin Letters, Hearts in Glorantha, Ye Book of Tentacles & Pavis & Big Rubble Companions).

Too bad the fifteen Rule One issues and The Hanging Garden #4 Swenstown Special will not be included as they were not printed...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 7Tigers said:

Hum, since MiG2 , I'm not sure there has been a lot of english printed stuff with Glorantha content, outside the well known (Mongoose stuff, Unspoken Word, the Zin Letters, Hearts in Glorantha, Ye Book of Tentacles & Pavis & Big Rubble Companions).

Too bad the fifteen Rule One issues and The Hanging Garden #4 Swenstown Special will not be included as they were not printed...

Rule One and The Hanging Garden are more like websites than anything else. I'm not going to get into cataloging websites, blogs, and similar. Please don't interpret that as them not being full of wonderful material, it's just there is only so much I can document, and there's way too much on the internet. 

Hope that Helps,

13 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Rule One and The Hanging Garden are more like websites than anything else. I'm not going to get into cataloging websites, blogs, and similar. Please don't interpret that as them not being full of wonderful material, it's just there is only so much I can document, and there's way too much on the internet. 

That's what Google is for.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There were so many 'zines in the early '80s that keeping track of them all is a fool's errand! I made one with a school friend, I think we sold 20 copies. I can't even remember what it was called, or if it had any RuneQuest content. I think I was still into D&D at that time. The Wanderer looks a little more up-market than our rag was though. Five different printed fonts on the cover, that's advanced stuff for 1980!

• 1 month later...

I always enjoy reading RuneQuest reviews. They often give some cool insights into how the game was generally received.

I haven't focused on chasing them down myself because they are spread far and wide and don't tend to have that much game related stuff in them (spells, creatures, etc) so having others do that legwork is much appreciated.

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,

Just now, Rick Meints said:

I always enjoy reading RuneQuest reviews. They often give some cool insights into how the game was generally received.

I haven't focused on chasing them down myself because they are spread far and wide and don't tend to have that much game related stuff in them (spells, creatures, etc) so having others do that legwork is much appreciated.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Any news from Chaosium on the release of Godquest? 🤣

Sadly, that's not a term I have seen used elsewhere.

Hope that Helps,

5 hours ago, Chekmx said:

http://wiki.oldhammer.org.uk/v/Runequest/White_Dwarf_Index  I think there are a few more issues of white dwarf with RQ content.  14 has Lair of the white wyrm.

Thank you. I have all the first 112 issues of WD and have gone through them all. Oddly, my original list had issue 17 listed instead of issue 14. Thank you for catching that error in the summary list. My detailed listing for Issue 14 is fortunately correct.

Hope that Helps,

17 has an interview with Greg Stafford about Dragon Pass. and the link suggest that

White Dwarf 22 Open Box Review of The Gateway Bestiary by Chaosium
White Dwarf 23 Open Box Review of Cults of Prax by Chaosium
White Dwarf 27 Open Box Review of Griffin Mountain by Chaosium

but I guess those are out of scope for your list

Edited by Chekmx
additional info

2 hours ago, Chekmx said:

17 has an interview with Greg Stafford about Dragon Pass. and the link suggest that

White Dwarf 22 Open Box Review of The Gateway Bestiary by Chaosium
White Dwarf 23 Open Box Review of Cults of Prax by Chaosium
White Dwarf 27 Open Box Review of Griffin Mountain by Chaosium

but I guess those are out of scope for your list

If they are in an issue of a magazine that has other game content I sometimes include reviews, but they are not a priority for me. There are lots of magazines that had just a review in them and it's not something I think I will include.Many of them are also short. I'd rather have people tracking down game content articles.

Hope that Helps,

IN case anybody is wondering, I have gone through all of the White Dwarf magazines pretty thoroughly. If I didn't include an issue it is probably only because all it had in it was a review, and I'm not really chasing down all reviews. I have also gone through all issues of Dragon, Different Worlds, all Judges guild magazines, Heroes, Tales, and Adventurer.

High priority stuff includes cults, spells, creatures, adventures, history, geography, and similar.

Edited by Rick Meints

Hope that Helps,

14 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

Are you only after RQ stuff or is generic Glorantha stuff and/or HeroWars/HeroQuest stuff also welcome?

The last edition of the MiG had generic glorantha publications in it, so yes to looking for that as well as Hero Wars/HeroQuest publications.

I've got the lists for HW and HQ publications by Issaries and Moon Design. 

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,