BRP and BRP Adjacent Power Systems?

Tywyll

I am working on a campaign that I'll hopefully get to run in the next few months. It's primarily non-Glorantha Runequest. I'm looking for a magic system to fill the void of Sorcery, but I'm not finding anything that quite fits what I want. So I've been looking through all the power systems for BRP that I know of. These are the ones I have found or have at least heard of. Are there any I have missed? This can include somebody's homebrew that's on the web or whatever.

BRP
Wizardry
Sorcery (Also Elric Magic and Magic World Magic, including Necromancy)
Psionics
Superpowers
Mutations
Enlightened Magic
Magic Kung-fu (Swords of Cydoria)
Biomancy (Swords of Cydoria)
Witchcraft (I think there is a monograph about this? Don't know if I'm getting confused or how its different from any other system)

Stormbringer/Elric/Magic World
Summoning/Binding
Eastern Magic

Runequest
Battle/Spirit Magic
Divine Magic
Sorcery
Enchantment/Summoning
Sandy's Sorcery
RQ4 Sorcery
RQG Sorcery 

Call of Cthulhu
Mythos Magic 

MRQ/Legends
Rune Magic (Battle Magic)
Divine Magic
Sorcery (1st and 2nd edition)
Dragon Magic
Necromancy
Blood Magic
Elementalism

RQ6/Mythras
Folk Magic
Divine Magic
Sorcery
Mysticism
Classic Fantasy Magic

White Dwarf
Demon Summoning

Revolution d100
Various power systems 

That's pretty comprehensive. The only stuff you missed were RQ3 Lunar Magic (Spirit Magic that can be boosted in Intensity like Sorcery) and RQ3 Dragon Magic.

Do you have an idea of what sort of magic you are looking for?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

The RQ3 Land of Ninja ki skill system, its mandala variant of RQ3 sorcery, and the RQ3 Vikings box Gods without Godar might be worth mentioning, too, as well as Jelmre crystals and similar exotic stuff.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Tywyll said:

I am working on a campaign that I'll hopefully get to run in the next few months. It's primarily non-Glorantha Runequest. I'm looking for a magic system to fill the void of Sorcery, but I'm not finding anything that quite fits what I want. So I've been looking through all the power systems for BRP that I know of. These are the ones I have found or have at least heard of. Are there any I have missed? This can include somebody's homebrew that's on the web or whatever.

Dragonewts and Dragons use Dragon Magic, which might be a power system.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

That's pretty comprehensive. The only stuff you missed were RQ3 Lunar Magic (Spirit Magic that can be boosted in Intensity like Sorcery) and RQ3 Dragon Magic.

Do you have an idea of what sort of magic you are looking for?

Oh? Where are the rules for RQ3 Lunar Magic?

I left out RQ3 Dragon Magic because it wasn't, AFAICT, detailed enough for PCs to use.

As for what I'm looking for...

The setting is an old D&D setting so I'm looking for something to fit into the arcanist/magic-user/wizard slot. I love a lot of the ideas about RQ Sorcery, but some I hate.

I love preparing long lasting spells in advance, the whole wizard in a tower feel that creates. I love the long term spells allowing the caster to transcend mundane limits. 

I loathe anything Free INT being a limitation on your magic.
I dislike it's absence of direct attack magic. I'm not sure that Sandy's Sorcery or RQ4 really properly fix this (their take on blast magic makes it pretty weak, especially for the cost/casting time involved). RQG has this issue as well...spend 20 MP to do 4d6 damage! Never mind a 'high level' warrior will shrug that off with their armor+protection spells quite easily.

I like Wizardry from BRP, especially the d-infinity website's house rules (sorry, can't remember the author's name) that better integrates it into Glorantha. What I don't like is that it doesn't feel as nice as the long prep wizardry, and I'm not sure how balanced it is damage wise. I also don't like that every spell with a duration basically lasts 15 minutes. Also, with only staves and familiars, a caster has a very real ceiling on how much juice they are likely to ever get (no binding spirits).

So basically I want the perfect magic system... >.<

41 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The RQ3 Land of Ninja ki skill system, its mandala variant of RQ3 sorcery, and the RQ3 Vikings box Gods without Godar might be worth mentioning, too, as well as Jelmre crystals and similar exotic stuff.

Yeah, I forgot about Ki magic, though I'm not sure I would consider that a magic system (though I guess it is as much of one as mutations, so fair enough).
I'll have to dig up my copy to look at the mandala variant...can you tell me what's different? Is it just new spells?

What did the Vikings box set add?
What are Jelmre crystals and what source do they come from?

39 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

Maybe you can tell the others what you want ? What specific aspects of sorcery would you like to see changed / highlighted / improved ?

Please see above, I've added that in.

4 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Dragonewts and Dragons use Dragon Magic, which might be a power system.

Were there rules for actually playing that though, or was it simply here are some powers that they have with no context on how to learn it or gain it in play?

Rd100 arcane magic is specifically designed to allow spellcasters to function like D&D or Diablo wizards, if you wish. A powerful PC mage can fire blasts of 8d6 elemental energy within a reasonable range. And long-duration spells are easy to manage.

You can find a sample magician who can use effective lightning blasts in the Conspiracy Theory free scenario. 

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/224824/The-Conspiracy-Theory

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

5 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

As soltakss noted. In a nutshell the way it worked was that you used sprit magic spells but has magical skills similar to sorcery. So it was basically sorcery but with spirit magic spells. And it was tied to the moon/glowline. 

8 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

I left out RQ3 Dragon Magic because it wasn't, AFAICT, detailed enough for PCs to use.

As for what I'm looking for...

The setting is an old D&D setting so I'm looking for something to fit into the arcanist/magic-user/wizard slot. I love a lot of the ideas about RQ Sorcery, but some I hate.

My first suggestion would be Classic Fantasy.It was supposedly designed to help you capture a D&D type feel.

I loathe anything Free INT being a limitation on your magic.

Well you could get rid of it. I believe Sandy just used your magical skills as a form of limit instead. 

I dislike it's absence of direct attack magic. I'm not sure that Sandy's Sorcery or RQ4 really properly fix this (their take on blast magic makes it pretty weak, especially for the cost/casting time involved). RQG has this issue as well...spend 20 MP to do 4d6 damage! Never mind a 'high level' warrior will shrug that off with their armor+protection spells quite easily.

I've never seen a "high level" warrior in RQ shrug off 4d6 with armor and protection spells. But, if you want the original Magic World gave 1D6 damage per MP. 

The reason why no other version of BRP/RQ does this is because it makes spellcasters too powerful. Unlike D&D a 5D6 damage spell that blows past a warriors armor is probably going to kill or disable him.

I like Wizardry from BRP, especially the d-infinity website's house rules (sorry, can't remember the author's name) that better integrates it into Glorantha. What I don't like is that it doesn't feel as nice as the long prep wizardry, and I'm not sure how balanced it is damage wise. I also don't like that every spell with a duration basically lasts 15 minutes. Also, with only staves and familiars, a caster has a very real ceiling on how much juice they are likely to ever get (no binding spirits).

So basically I want the perfect magic system... >.<

Don't we all, but I doubt we would all agree on just what is perfect. 

3 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

I've never seen a "high level" warrior in RQ shrug off 4d6 with armor and protection spells. But, if you want the original Magic World gave 1D6 damage per MP. 

I'm running a high level, more trad game of RQ right now. With 5 point Shield extended to season long duration, one of the players has 19 armor in all locations. Granted, he's screwed if he needs healing and what not, but its hard to reach that point. And looking at the Runelords in RQ2, many of them walked around in 10-11 point armor before protection spells. Laughing off a 4d6 hit is not unlikely for character's at that level.

That actually hits one of my more general complaints about BRP with armor (or really any system that uses armor as damage negation). Attacks rarely have a sweet spot beyond basic level. Once you start rising in power, its like the designers didn't bother to consider how it would work. You either completely ignore attacks, are completely splattered by attacks, or die to crits. Without a Strengthen Ritual to increase HP, there is little wiggle room in your damage location hp to survive a hit powerful enough to penetrate your armor. At least that's how it feels to me. But that's another topic!

The reason why no other version of BRP/RQ does this is because it makes spellcasters too powerful. Unlike D&D a 5D6 damage spell that blows past a warriors armor is probably going to kill or disable him.

Exactly. See above. 

Don't we all, but I doubt we would all agree on just what is perfect. 

Sadly true. Right now I would probably settle with one that allowed a caster to do balanced damage spells. 

17 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Yeah, I forgot about Ki magic, though I'm not sure I would consider that a magic system (though I guess it is as much of one as mutations, so fair enough).
I'll have to dig up my copy to look at the mandala variant...can you tell me what's different? Is it just new spells?

Mainly the lack of a familiar and much of the ballast that went with that (having to go through a zoo of Otherworld beasties for becoming an adept, sacrificing permanent stats to it, yadda yadda).

What did the Vikings box set add?

Gods without Godar was a small boxed text section about contacting the deity directly rather than through a cult. Basically a form of heroforming.

What are Jelmre crystals and what source do they come from?

IIRC they were from the RQ3 Glorantha Bestiary (the green booklet with the Morokanth metalworker on the cover). Jelmre can crystallize intense emotions, but lose the ability to have these emotions afterwards. The crystals in turn can activate such emotions, IIRC as one use items. In other words: weirdness galore.

17 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Mainly the lack of a familiar and much of the ballast that went with that (having to go through a zoo of Otherworld beasties for becoming an adept, sacrificing permanent stats to it, yadda yadda).

Yeah, familiars in RQ3 were broken stupid. I'll have to check that out.

Gods without Godar was a small boxed text section about contacting the deity directly rather than through a cult. Basically a form of heroforming.

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can find that.

IIRC they were from the RQ3 Glorantha Bestiary (the green booklet with the Morokanth metalworker on the cover). Jelmre can crystallize intense emotions, but lose the ability to have these emotions afterwards. The crystals in turn can activate such emotions, IIRC as one use items. In other words: weirdness galore.

Okay, I have that book. I'll look that up. However that...sounds pretty stupid? I mean, why would you give up something permanently for the chance to recreate once? That's just... dumb?

13 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Okay, I have that book. I'll look that up. However that...sounds pretty stupid? I mean, why would you give up something permanently for the chance to recreate once? That's just... dumb?

Think of negative or overwhelming emotions you can get rid of for good.

I'm running a high level, more trad game of RQ right now. With 5 point Shield extended to season long duration, one of the players has 19 armor in all locations. Granted, he's screwed if he needs healing and what not, but its hard to reach that point. And looking at the Runelords in RQ2, many of them walked around in 10-11 point armor before protection spells. Laughing off a 4d6 hit is not unlikely for character's at that level.

Not really. I think you are expecting D&D results. In D&D a couple of points of damage here or there doesn't make that much of a difference, due to the increasing number of hit points and how injuries work (i.e. there aren't any injuries). In RQ any atttack that gets past someone defenses can disable a hit location or kill someone. 

So all those Runelords in RQ2 were always vulnerable to a high damage roll, special success (extra damage) or a critical (which bypassed armor) getting past their armor, and then probably taking them right out of the fight, if not killing them outright. So they weren't laughing. In fact, there is a well known story about a Runelord who got killed by a lucky hit from a trollkin.

That actually hits one of my more general complaints about BRP with armor (or really any system that uses armor as damage negation). Attacks rarely have a sweet spot beyond basic level. Once you start rising in power, its like the designers didn't bother to consider how it would work. You either completely ignore attacks, are completely splattered by attacks, or die to crits. Without a Strengthen Ritual to increase HP, there is little wiggle room in your damage location hp to survive a hit powerful enough to penetrate your armor. At least that's how it feels to me. But that's another topic!

I think you misunderstand. The designers did consider how it would work. It's just that they considered that weapons and magical attack that got past defenses should be deadly. There isn't supposed to be a lot of wiggle room. This is very different from D&D where experienced characters can soak multiple hits and shrug off a lot of attacks. 

SO as you up the power levels the game is supposed to become more deadly, not less. 

Exactly. See above. 

Sadly true. Right now I would probably settle with one that allowed a caster to do balanced damage spells. 

What do you consider "balanced?". Someone who can do 4d6 damage in BRP is hitting harder than most rifles. 

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

RQ3 Gods of Glorantha, under the Red Goddess cult.

Okay, this system is rad, I don't know how I've missed it all these years.

Probably because I have zero interest in lunar stuff and Glorantha stuff in general beyond what I can canabilize for my own worlds. 

Duration seems a bit weak (10 mp for a spell to last 50 minutes) and I'm a bit worried that Disruption might be TOO powerful with this system (5 or so MP and it's nearly a guaranteed limb breaker/death spell depending on the location struck). 

Don't like the Free INT limit, but could probably swap that for 1/10th your skill in the various manipulations, and I would probably make each spell its own skill as well. Hummm....

4 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Rd100 arcane magic is specifically designed to allow spellcasters to function like D&D or Diablo wizards, if you wish. A powerful PC mage can fire blasts of 8d6 elemental energy within a reasonable range. And long-duration spells are easy to manage.

You can find a sample magician who can use effective lightning blasts in the Conspiracy Theory free scenario. 

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/224824/The-Conspiracy-Theory

I've tried to wrap my head around the power system in REvolution d100 but I haven't been able to. Is there a post or anything where someone breaks it down in how to use it, it's limits, and benefits? Also, could it be ported into more traditional BRP mechanics games?

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Think of negative or overwhelming emotions you can get rid of for good.

Ah, yeah, okay good point. But it's kind of a double edged sword isn't it? I mean, if you get rid of your feelings of shame over something, or anger, you can never feel shame or anger again, right?

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

Not really. I think you are expecting D&D results. In D&D a couple of points of damage here or there doesn't make that much of a difference, due to the increasing number of hit points and how injuries work (i.e. there aren't any injuries). In RQ any atttack that gets past someone defenses can disable a hit location or kill someone. 

I'm aware of that. And I'm not expecting D&D results, I AM expected a system that can create the heroes of the setting and still function. 

So all those Runelords in RQ2 were always vulnerable to a high damage roll, special success (extra damage) or a critical (which bypassed armor) getting past their armor, and then probably taking them right out of the fight, if not killing them outright. So they weren't laughing. In fact, there is a well known story about a Runelord who got killed by a lucky hit from a trollkin.

They were vulnerable to attacks within a certain vin diagram of attacks. While yes, a special might threaten them (but 2d8+2 vs 15+ armor isn't much of a threat. Only Crits which ignore armor would be truely deadly, or attacks from things with +3d6 or more damage bonus. Average soldier? Not so much. 

I think you misunderstand. The designers did consider how it would work. It's just that they considered that weapons and magical attack that got past defenses should be deadly. There isn't supposed to be a lot of wiggle room. This is very different from D&D where experienced characters can soak multiple hits and shrug off a lot of attacks. 

Yeah, they created a falsely dangerous system. Look at daggers with their 1d4+2 damage which incapacitates the average limb with a minimum damage roll (and does more minimum damage than a broadsword for some reason). Meanwhile, in real life, people can be stabbed numerous times and survive, fight off attackers, etc. Only strikes to major organs are life threatening or incapacitating...so our heroes are weirdly fragile. 

Another point to what I consider bad design is how the system uses damage dice. Weapons that use 2 dice are inherently more dangerous than ones that use a single die, thanks to how averages work, regardless of the deadliness of the weapon in real life. A weapon that does 2d4 is always preferable to a weapon that does 1d8 because the averages are in your favour...meanwhile, historically there is little advantage to said weapon. Its just that weapons rolling different dice was a thing in the early days of RPGs so it's duplicated here. And to make a large weapon list have meaningful choices between weapons, you have to make them have mechanical difference. 

And if you want beginning, inexperienced characters to have not a lot of wiggle room between life and death, that's fine. But since the setting material includes Big Damn Heroes, I expect that at some point, you can take a knife to the arm without falling over. 

SO as you up the power levels the game is supposed to become more deadly, not less. 

That doesn't fit the setting the rules originally were created for. Nor does it do well for long term play. 

What do you consider "balanced?". Someone who can do 4d6 damage in BRP is hitting harder than most rifles. 

If that uses up all their MP, for an attack that might bounce of armor, then it isn't balanced. Also, rifles are irrelavent to the discussion...modern day weapon values are often waaaay inflated in BRP to the point I don't even want to go there. 

If a character is built with the idea that they are primarily a magic user, I expect them to be able to function more than once or twice a day before needing to rest. This isn't first level DND, or at least it shouldn't be. If casting spells is your schtick, I expect it to be something you can do reasonably several times a day. A 4d6 spell, versus a single target that exhausts all your resources is pretty wasteful...especially if you are frozen casting it for a couple of rounds. But balancing damage output with expected armor levels with resource management is hard. 

But again, I said this was a different discussion so lets focus on magic systems right now. 

Edited by Tywyll
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rsanford said:

A unified powers document is uploaded to BRP Central. It handles all sorts of magic and super powers. It can be found at  http://basicroleplaying.org/files/file/516-brp-unified-powers/

That is interesting. The 'Sorcery' power there has some potential.

But the write up keeps referencing Exp? Not clear on what that is intending?

2 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

I'm aware of that. And I'm not expecting D&D results, I AM expected a system that can create the heroes of the setting and still function. 

It does function. It just might not be functioning the way you want it to. 

They were vulnerable to attacks within a certain vin diagram of attacks. While yes, a special might threaten them (but 2d8+2 vs 15+ armor isn't much of a threat. Only Crits which ignore armor would be truely deadly, or attacks from things with +3d6 or more damage bonus. Average soldier? Not so much. 

Special successes, such as slashes, crushes and impales come up 20% of the time. Then there is the STR/SIZ dfamage bonus and magical enhancements such as bladesharp. So the guy with 19 armor should have a lot to worry about.

Yeah, they created a falsely dangerous system. Look at daggers with their 1d4+2 damage which incapacitates the average limb with a minimum damage roll (and does more minimum damage than a broadsword for some reason). Meanwhile, in real life, people can be stabbed numerous times and survive, fight off attackers, etc. Only strikes to major organs are life threatening or incapacitating...so our heroes are weirdly fragile. 

Yeah, that is the problem with die adds. I think the original dagger damage of 1D6 was better. 

Part of the difficulty here has to do with how damage is handled in general. In most RPGs damage either drops you outright, impairs you in some way, or can be ignored. In real life, someone who can "fight off attackers" could bleed to death a while later. But you don't get stuff like that in most RPGs. 

One idea I had, a long time ago, was to reduce the weapon damages and just double the damage die per success level. So a weapon might do 1D4 or 1D6 or a normal success, 2D4/2D6 on a special, and 4D4/4D6 on a critical. Damage bonus modified the die size rolled. So someone who had a +1D4 db would just roll a die one step larger.  The idea was that most weapons wouldn't do much damage on minor hits and glancing blows, but would get deadly when they connected in a vital spot (i.e. rolled a better success level). The orgnial version had another success level too, and I was debating between 1D/2D/3D/4D and 1D/2D/4D/8D.

Another point to what I consider bad design is how the system uses damage dice. Weapons that use 2 dice are inherently more dangerous than ones that use a single die, thanks to how averages work, regardless of the deadliness of the weapon in real life. 

And if you want beginning, inexperienced characters to have not a lot of wiggle room between life and death, that's fine. But since the setting material includes Big Damn Heroes, I expect that at some point, you can take a knife to the arm without falling over. 

Well that's a false expectation on two levels:

First off in RQ being experienced doesn't make you any more resilient. The idea isn''t that someone can take a hit that they couldn't before (as in D&D) but that they will be better able to prevent such a hit from occurring in the first place, than to improved dodge and parry scores. I once had a group of D&D players who constantly got butchered in RQ because they kept trying to judge encounters according to D&D standards-namely that a fight wasn't a "good fight" unless they had taken at least half their hit points in damage. In RQ, if you are getting knocked down to half hit points, you're in trouble. 

Secondly, people think that as their characters get more experienced they will find it easier to survive. That's not entirely true. What happens in play is that as the PCs get more experienced they end up facing more dangerous opponents. So lethality increases. A Runelord is more liekly to die from a lucky crtical hit than a novice, becuase his oppoents have a better chance of rolling a higher success level. 

That doesn't fit the setting the rules originally were created for.

THat's something that Greg said a longf time ago. If you want something differernt you will either half to houserule it or play something else, such as HeroQuest.

Nor does it do well for long term play. 

Sure it does, depending on the style of play. If you want to do a full time dungeon crawl, then you are going to have a lot of casualties. Yes, magic can offset a lot of thins and bring people back from the dead, but basically that's RQ/BRP. There is always a slight chance that a lucky hit will kill off a PC. 

I know some people who play D&D that dislike RQ because of this, and like you think that it doesn't d well for long term play. I know other people who prefer RQ and Pendragon for Long term play because they find such danger to keep the game exciting. They consider "balanced" encounters to be boring because they know that there is no significant risk and they can fiogure out what the outcome is going to be before they even start the encounter. 

If that uses up all their MP, for an attack that might bounce of armor, then it isn't balanced. Also, rifles are irrelavent to the discussion...modern day weapon values are often waaaay inflated in BRP to the point I don't even want to go there. 

What must it be "balanced"? You seem to have strong ideas of how a RPG should be designed, and that RQ/BRP isn't designed that way. If that's the case, why do you want to play it? If "balance" is important to you, why not play an RPG that is designed to be balanced, as opposed to one that isn't? 

If a character is built with the idea that they are primarily a magic user, I expect them to be able to function more than once or twice a day before needing to rest. This isn't first level DND, or at least it shouldn't be. If casting spells is your schtick, I expect it to be something you can do reasonably several times a day. A 4d6 spell, versus a single target that exhausts all your resources is pretty wasteful...especially if you are frozen casting it for a couple of rounds. But balancing damage output with expected armor levels with resource management is hard. 

Well those are your your expectations, but that doesn't mean it is how the game was designed to function. Maybe you'd be happier with 13th Age Glorantha?

It just seems to me that the game doesn't work the way you want it to, and that's that. THat doesn't mean it's wrong, it just doesn't meet your expectations. 

But again, I said this was a different discussion so lets focus on magic systems right now. 

Well if you want a more powerful magic system find the original magic world. And you can bump up the refresh rate for magic points for POW/day to POW per 12 hopurs or even POW per hour. 

But, I'll warn you now that your results won't meet your expectations, because this system is designed to be more lethal than what you are expecting. There no steady decline in hit points like in D&D. If you don't like that, then you're really not going to like the the way the game plays. 

53 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

I've tried to wrap my head around the power system in Revolution d100 but I haven't been able to. Is there a post or anything where someone breaks it down in how to use it, it's limits, and benefits? Also, could it be ported into more traditional BRP mechanics games?

We are working on some streamlining. On the other hand, the system is designed to mix well only with OpenQuest and Legend / Mythras. Using it with classic BRP may require more tweaking.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

8 hours ago, Tywyll said:

RQ6/Mythras
Folk Magic
Divine Magic
Sorcery
Mysticism
Classic Fantasy Magic

Additionally, Luther Arkwright has a Psionics system that is single skill based and a little simpler than the core book ones. M-Space has one as well, and they are different. After the Vampire Wars has half-fae mutations, which are functionally powers. Mythras also has Gifts and chaos blessings which aren't really sorcery-like at all, but more powers. 

You could do something like Classic Fantasy for their traveling spells and Sorcery for rituals. Essentially, one for the tower one for the road.

I would point out that no warrior is shrugging off Wrack or Magic Missile or Fireball or Lightning Bolt. Or frankly Theism's Lightning.