BRP and BRP Adjacent Power Systems?

Tywyll

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 7:55 AM, Tywyll said:

I am working on a campaign that I'll hopefully get to run in the next few months. It's primarily non-Glorantha Runequest. I'm looking for a magic system to fill the void of Sorcery, but I'm not finding anything that quite fits what I want. So I've been looking through all the power systems for BRP that I know of. These are the ones I have found or have at least heard of. Are there any I have missed? This can include somebody's homebrew that's on the web or whatever.

BRP
Wizardry
Sorcery (Also Elric Magic and Magic World Magic, including Necromancy)
Psionics
Superpowers
Mutations
Enlightened Magic
Magic Kung-fu (Swords of Cydoria)
Biomancy (Swords of Cydoria)
Witchcraft (I think there is a monograph about this? Don't know if I'm getting confused or how its different from any other system)

Stormbringer/Elric/Magic World
Summoning/Binding
Eastern Magic

Runequest
Battle/Spirit Magic
Divine Magic
Sorcery
Enchantment/Summoning
Sandy's Sorcery
RQ4 Sorcery
RQG Sorcery 

Call of Cthulhu
Mythos Magic 

MRQ/Legends
Rune Magic (Battle Magic)
Divine Magic
Sorcery (1st and 2nd edition)
Dragon Magic
Necromancy
Blood Magic
Elementalism

RQ6/Mythras
Folk Magic
Divine Magic
Sorcery
Mysticism
Classic Fantasy Magic

White Dwarf
Demon Summoning

Revolution d100
Various power systems 

Okay you have the same problem I had. What I did was define magic, and then types of casting and then players could pick any one to suit.

Sorcery (Excerpt taken from Elric)

This is the ability to control the energies of the Multiverse and, through that control, create powerful effects. As such, it has no allegiance to either the powers of Law or Chaos, and indeed is used by both in their eternal struggles. However, magic is is dangerous to sanity, soul and life.

Invocation (Mythras): It uses formulae, both written and mentally envisaged, to achieve magical effects.  These variables can be the nature and origin of the magic energy to be evoked, any transformation of that energy, any scaling of the level of energy, any modulation or changing of the energy while it is in use, the location of the caster, the location of the target, the nature of the target, the duration the energy will be evoked, the manner by which the spell ends, any safeguards put in place by the caster, and more.

Incantation (Pathfinder Ultimate Magic and Deep Magic): There is a universal truth few spell casters would deny, incredible power exists in spoken words. They belong to a class of truly awe inspiring powers beyond ordinary spells and can be very powerful and frequently create effects beyond those of normal spells. It was a framework for understanding and altering reality based on words. They arrange these words of power to cast powerful and diverse incantations known as word spells. It should come as no surprise that most obsessively learn as many words of power as their minds can comprehend.

Scientific: This will be a mix of Sorcerer's Apprentice and scientific magic from Hawkmoon.

Weave (Witchcraft RPG): To work magic, one must be able to weave magic energy into the right matrix. If no outside force is interfering, the desired effect will take place.

Then make a cost system per area the player wants.

So you could have-

Common Magic, Battle Magic, Enchantment, Necromancy, Evocation, Conjuration etc.

I also have Deep Magic which has been named Chaos magic, obviously.

Sphere magic a la Mage the Awakening, Ascension, and Pathfinder

Each would be priced differently per spell, or for any spell in the category. I tend to be a bit more freeform / Diceless which allows this kind of loosey goosey play style.

Edited by RogerDee

On 2/15/2019 at 11:29 AM, Tywyll said:

Wasn't Advanced Sorcery just rehashing the magic from Elric (like the stuff from Bronze Grimoire)?

I like the Eastern Magic ideas, but it is so vague I think it would take a lot of work to sell it and run it with players. I will check out the file in the Download section that has a more advanced version of it. 

Now that I am thinking about it there is a rebuilt version of Deep Magic on this site. I have only skimmed it but it looks like pretty extensive changes. You can find it here ->

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

One other thing about Deep Magic. I am pretty sure @Nick J.expanded Deep Magic for his Dolmenwood game and I think he typed it up real nicely. You might want to ping him and see what he has...

Edited by rsanford
  • Thanks 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

*Like a demon who hears his true name uttered*

This is a pretty slightly modified version from the stuff presented in Advanced Sorcery. Mostly I just tweaked the arrangement of the spheres to a more classical Aristotelian relationship , and made casting outside of your specialized spheres and glyphs less reliable and more dangerous (skill roll and a fumble table) and then added some fluff about how Deep Magi function in the setting I use.

Maybe it will be of some utility to someone?

Deep Magic Revised.pdf

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RogerDee said:

Incantation (Pathfinder Ultimate Magic and Deep Magic): There is a universal truth few spell casters would deny, incredible power exists in spoken words. They belong to a class of truly awe inspiring powers beyond ordinary spells and can be very powerful and frequently create effects beyond those of normal spells. It was a framework for understanding and altering reality based on words. They arrange these words of power to cast powerful and diverse incantations known as word spells. It should come as no surprise that most obsessively learn as many words of power as their minds can comprehend.

Scientific: This will be a mix of Sorcerer's Apprentice and scientific magic from Hawkmoon.

Weave (Witchcraft RPG): To work magic, one must be able to weave magic energy into the right matrix. If no outside force is interfering, the desired effect will take place.

Then make a cost system per area the player wants.

So you could have-

Common Magic, Battle Magic, Enchantment, Necromancy, Evocation, Conjuration etc.

I also have Deep Magic which has been named Chaos magic, obviously.

Sphere magic a la Mage the Awakening, Ascension, and Pathfinder

Each would be priced differently per spell, or for any spell in the category. I tend to be a bit more freeform / Diceless which allows this kind of loosey goosey play style.

So did you write up any of these translations? Like I would love to see the PF Ultimate Magic and Deep Magic in BRP terms, as well as the Witchcraft RPG (always been a fan of Witchcraft and Armegeddon). 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Nick J. said:

*Like a demon who hears his true name uttered*

This is a pretty slightly modified version from the stuff presented in Advanced Sorcery. Mostly I just tweaked the arrangement of the spheres to a more classical Aristotelian relationship , and made casting outside of your specialized spheres and glyphs less reliable and more dangerous (skill roll and a fumble table) and then added some fluff about how Deep Magi function in the setting I use.

Maybe it will be of some utility to someone?

Deep Magic Revised.pdf

Thanks! I will check it out!

29 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

So did you write up any of these translations? Like I would love to see the PF Ultimate Magic and Deep Magic in BRP terms, as well as the Witchcraft RPG (always been a fan of Witchcraft and Armegeddon). 

It was purely done from a narrative perspective, or some very form of simplified game angle.

• 2 months later...