Jump to content
MOB

#ShipsofRQ are on their way...

Recommended Posts

And the XIN LOS ANGELES is moored in Canada right now.  Next stop LA?

Revised ETA?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we are talking about it: the MOL TRIBUTE is currently entering the port of Southampton ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XIN LOS ANGELES tracks as being in Vancouver BC by tomorrow afternoon on VesselFinder. You Ozzies can try and figure that out in ANZ metric time, plus or minus DST... :) 

Since her last port of call was in the PRC, I'm presuming she's inbound for Longbeach CA.

 

Edited by svensson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting back to the ships...

The XIN LOS ANGELES docked in Vancouver 12 hours ago. I don't believe it's called at LA yet, so presumably it's unloading and will then be heading for LA. I'm guessing this will take about a week.

The MOL TRIBUTE docked in Southampton 2 days ago and is presumably unloading. Hopefully the RQ stuff will clear Customs quickly.

Is it true that Chaosium won't start selling any of this stuff till all three warehouses are full? Now that the British one has arrived, I'm kind of supportive of a two out of three policy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve3742 said:

Is it true that Chaosium won't start selling any of this stuff till all three warehouses are full? Now that the British one has arrived, I'm kind of supportive of a two out of three policy.

I believe the policy is based not just on "fairness" or "majority" or the like, but from a desire not to have their entire customer-service quit en mass; even if that's just Dustin(?).

The sheer volume of "why can't I order" & "can't you make an exception for me" and "I will pay AirFreight fees to get it sooner" and "me and my mates will split the cost of AirFreight on 3/4 of a case, and you can get that last quarter-case airfreighted on our dime!" and a gazillion-and-one other special requests, virtually all of which have to get a "no" answer, most of those creating yet MORE customer-unhappiness...  It's a lose/lose proposition!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XIN LOS ANGELES is under way!

Just queried MarineTraffic.com and find it out of port, out of the Sound and into the Pacific Ocean proper.  Heading due East; I presume she'll swing South in short order...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, g33k said:

XIN LOS ANGELES is under way!

Just queried MarineTraffic.com and find it out of port, out of the Sound and into the Pacific Ocean proper.  Heading due East; I presume she'll swing South in short order...

East... isn't that inland? Is it a Moonboat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

East... isn't that inland? Is it a Moonboat?

Gaaah.

Yes, of course.  I should remember to be more careful in the late hours ...

Conceptually, I think I was thinking of it heading to the "Far East" (not that that's any excuse, since I've lived near the West Coast since before I knew what a compass was).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, g33k said:

Just queried MarineTraffic.com and find it out of port, out of the Sound and into the Pacific Ocean proper.  Heading due East; I presume she'll swing South in short order...

I just looked on Vesselfinder and XIN LA has a destination of Shanghai... which is confirmed by MarineTraffic.com. Not so sure she's going to turn south...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Steve3742 said:

I just looked on Vesselfinder and XIN LA has a destination of Shanghai... which is confirmed by MarineTraffic.com. Not so sure she's going to turn south...

That's not reliable, Mol Tribute said it was heading to Scarnish. That would have been a surprise for the fishermen in a small Scottish island bay.

GPS position is 10 hours ago... hopefully it will give us an update soon, and we will know...

Edited by PhilHibbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

That's not reliable, Mol Tribute said it was heading to Scarnish. That would have been a surprise for the fishermen in a small Scottish island bay.

GPS position is 10 hours ago... hopefully it will give us an update soon, and we will know...

I dunno, 100 miles West of the Coast perpendicular to your destination is not exactly the most direct route.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 8:50 PM, Steve3742 said:

Is it true that Chaosium won't start selling any of this stuff till all three warehouses are full? 

That is correct.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:05 PM, g33k said:

I believe the policy is based not just on "fairness" or "majority" or the like, but from a desire not to have their entire customer-service quit en mass; even if that's just Dustin(?).

The sheer volume of "why can't I order" & "can't you make an exception for me" and "I will pay AirFreight fees to get it sooner" and "me and my mates will split the cost of AirFreight on 3/4 of a case, and you can get that last quarter-case airfreighted on our dime!" and a gazillion-and-one other special requests, virtually all of which have to get a "no" answer, most of those creating yet MORE customer-unhappiness...  It's a lose/lose proposition!

That is also correct.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andy Evans said:

I dunno, 100 miles West of the Coast perpendicular to your destination is not exactly the most direct route.  

Annoyingly, it still hasn't updated, 14 hours after this was its position. I know very little about seafaring, but I imagine their are things that might force it to head off coast 100 miles before turning south (ocean currents, rocks, shallow water, typhoons, pirates, sea serpents, Leviathan, etc.) But I'd like to see it turn.

As an alternative... is everyone sure they're being shipped to LA? That they haven't been unloaded in Vancouver and are now being trucked to LA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still showing the data I saw this morning.  Wherever it is now, it isn't THERE.

Zooming-out, I see signs of "shipping routes" showing, looking at all the ships.  XIN LOS ANGELES doesn't appear to be very far, if any, outside the channels that might reasonably be turning southward.

And, as speculated, the containers of RQ may no longer be aboard.  Maybe they're on a train, or a truck.  They may even be heading toward Chaosium more directly, instead of via Long Beach...

 

And it's also possible that we are seeing one of the reasons that Chaosium hates to state a firm timetable:  the books may indeed be en route back to China, through no fault of their own and because of unforeseen and unpredictable events.   I hope not!!!

Hey @styopa -- can you give us any insight?

 

Edited by g33k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, g33k said:

It's still showing the data I saw this morning.  Wherever it is now, it isn't THERE.

Zooming-out, I see signs of "shipping routes" showing, looking at all the ships.  XIN LOS ANGELES doesn't appear to be very far, if any, outside the channels that might reasonably be turning southward.

And, as speculated, the containers of RQ may no longer be aboard.  Maybe they're on a train, or a truck.  They may even be heading toward Chaosium more directly, instead of via Long Beach...

 

And it's also possible that we are seeing one of the reasons that Chaosium hates to state a firm timetable:  the books may indeed be en route back to China, through no fault of their own and because of unforeseen and unpredictable events.   I hope not!!!

Hey @styopa -- can you give us any insight?

 

Xin Los Angeles is definitely headed W from Van/PrRup.  Outbound to China, and no, I guarantee the containers were offloaded barring error - vanishingly unlikely. 

From what I can see it's on the Cosco PE2 route, meaning it never actually was scheduled to call Los Angeles.  (https://www.shipmentlink.com/tvs2/download_txt/PE2_2.pdf) or also at http://www.coscoshipping.gr/vessel-schedule/  .   I'm not sure who said it was stopping @ Long Beach...as the destination is northern MN, Van/PrRup is a perfectly reasonable (and actually better) port of unloading.  The containers then travel by CN rail possibly direct to MSP or ORD.

As MOB said port ETA was 3/6, then I'd guess they were unloaded at PrRup...COSCO likes to find cheap unloading ports and PrRup has been very aggressive in the market over the last couple of years, particularly as US west coast ports have high costs and some of the s/lowest throughputs due to union strength/issues.  Easier to go to Canada even though the ports are smaller and rail connections worse.

FYI MOB mentioned 2x40's, you guys realize that's something around 40 TONS of books just to the US?

Unload at PrRup @ 3/6, I'd guess unload at MSP terminal around 3/13-15, should already be cleared customs on arrival (barring exam) and maybe at the DC conservatively 3/20?  If it's going via ORD it'd be a few days later.

These are guesses, mind you, and entirely my error if wrong.  Don't get your hopes up based on my blather.

Chaosium (or their forwarder) are going to be the only ones with actual ETA information, although if you have a container # I can still track where they are and where they're going inland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve3742 said:

Annoyingly, it still hasn't updated, 14 hours after this was its position. I know very little about seafaring, but I imagine their are things that might force it to head off coast 100 miles before turning south (ocean currents, rocks, shallow water, typhoons, pirates, sea serpents, Leviathan, etc.) But I'd like to see it turn.

As an alternative... is everyone sure they're being shipped to LA? That they haven't been unloaded in Vancouver and are now being trucked to LA?

Just a little thing called the Olympic Peninsula and Mount Olympus.  Vancouver is inside the Puget Sound and they have to enter the Straits of Juan de Fuca to get there.  Presumably, they'd want to exit the same way rather than try to sail over  a mountain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Vancouver is inside the Puget Sound and they have to enter the Straits of Juan de Fuca to get there.  Presumably, they'd want to exit the same way rather than try to sail over  a mountain.

I had noticed (my lack of seafaring ability doesn't stop me from reading a map). But the position shown - which it's still stuck on, by the way, 20 hours later - is further west than you might expect and there's a stream of southbound ships that turn off well before that.

But, mystery solved. As Styopa has pointed out, it's heading for Shanghai, having unloaded the RQ stuff at Prince Rupert or Vancouver. They're going to travel by train to Michigan. This would take about 45 hours by passenger train, don't know if freight would move faster or slower than that.

It does mean that it still has to cross another international border, the Canada-US one. But you guys have NAFTA, right? Should speed things up. Styopa's guess is 20/3 for arrival, assuming they go via Minneapolis. Going via Chicago might take longer. That's over a week from the docks at Prince Rupert to Minneapolis, but, given customs checks and the fact they'd probably have to get the two 12m containers from Prince Rupert to Vancouver before they can rail them... well, it could be right. Could be shorter. Could be longer.

Edited by Steve3742
wrong pronoun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be looking for the product to be available by 31 March, as they announced earlier. I've got it on pre-order with my FLGS, but the distributor has an order in for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MOB said:

The sheer volume of "why can't I order" & "can't you make an exception for me" and "I will pay AirFreight fees to get it sooner" and "me and my mates will split the cost of AirFreight on 3/4 of a case, and you can get that last quarter-case airfreighted on our dime!" and a gazillion-and-one other special requests, virtually all of which have to get a "no" answer, most of those creating yet MORE customer-unhappiness...  It's a lose/lose proposition!

Hmmm... Regarding special request from customers.

I bought the PDF of the Bestiary and then the PDFs of the GM pack when they came out, assured that I'd get vouchers giving me discounts on the physical products when they arrived, which will hopefully be soon. But I read in another thread that you're only able to redeem one voucher per order. Is this true?

Because that leaves me (and, I'm guessing, between a third and a half of your customers) with a problem. The second voucher becomes more or less useless as we can't use it with an order ordering both products (which is what I'm planning to do) and whereas we could split it into two orders the extra shipping costs pretty much wipe out the coupon saving, so it's useless there too.

Like I said, I doubt I'm alone in planning to do this, I'm guessing somewhere between a third and half of your customers are also planning this. As such, I'm not sure if it can be called a 'special' request, not when so many people want it. And it doesn't seem too much of a thing to ask for, the ability to use more than one coupon in the same order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×