Simple Contest Results.

Aprewett

Yes, you can just fail or fail badly.

"Pardon me Mr Guard, but a really big troll just popped into that alleyway, maybe you should have a look", "You can't catch me out, what? That alleyway there? Thanks ...".

You engage in a jumping contest and one of you makes a bad jump but the other makes a worse jump.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Yes, you can just fail or fail badly.

[...]

You engage in a jumping contest and one of you makes a bad jump but the other makes a worse jump.

Yes, all very interesting, except it's not how it works in HQ! On a tie of failure vs. failure, the winner gets a Marginal Victory & the loser gets a Marginal Defeat.

38 minutes ago, Christoph Kohring said:

On a tie of failure vs. failure, the winner gets a Marginal Victory & the loser gets a Marginal Defeat.

The good news is that the guard was sleeping, and didn't wake up when you bumped into the stool, but unfortunately the door is locked and the guard has no key.  You'll have to find another way. 

7 hours ago, Aprewett said:

This week we had a tie on a failure - failure roll. Seemed odd that the higher roll still wins. Is that correct?

Yes, as said above, it's correct. But, no, it was not a tie according to the rules. Failure vs. failure is only a tie when not only do both contestants "fail" their roll but also when they both roll the same number:

14 hours ago, Christoph Kohring said:

Yes, all very interesting, except it's not how it works in HQ! On a tie of failure vs. failure, the winner gets a Marginal Victory & the loser gets a Marginal Defeat.

Yes, so the result is that one does better than the other. One jumps badly, the other jumps worse, the first does better than the second.

You see, we are actually agreeing.

Also, as I have said elsewhere and will continue to say, HeroQuest is not about sweating the rules. There is no point going into great detail about what a tie means, or whether a failure vs failure is a tie or not, just use the rules as a means to an end. If I roll a Failure vs Failure and I get the same number then that is a tie, if I roll a Failure vs Failure and the numbers are different, one gets a Marginal Victory and one gets a Marginal Defeat. Just work out the result and then Narrate what happened.

For me, HeroQuest rules discussions should take a maximum of, what, 30 seconds to resolve.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

One clarification that is likely in the SRD is that you only care about the degree of victory or defeat from the point of view of the PC. If there are two PCs, it is symmetrical, but otherwise you only care what happened to the PC's attempt to win the prize, everything else is for the GM to narrate. So PC gets a minor victory. Cool. it is up to the GM to narrate the condition of the resistance, taking the agreed 'prize' as an indicator of what the player gained. A minor victory is 'gains the prize' don't forget.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 1:56 PM, Aprewett said:

This week we had a tie on a failure - failure roll. Seemed odd that the higher roll still wins. Is that correct?

Sure, but the narration may reflect that neither of you acquitted yourself in glory. If this was a fight, it would be a messy, sloppy, affair, slipping and sliding in the mud, and the player might feel their victory was as much down to luck as skill.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Aprewett said:

How do I rule on this situation.

Success but the ref.

Failure by the player, bumped up by mastery, to a success.

How do a work out highest dice roll on a tie with the degree of success/failure, from a bump up/down?

Highest roll wins on a tie, same as normal.

• Like 3