When should the Bestiary be in print?

Djday45

11 hours ago, Machpants said:

I'm just desperate for the slipcase set - just PDFs until then!

It's all coming (as I understand it) on the same boat:  Bestiary, GMScreenPack, 2nd/revised printing of core rulebook, slipcase sets of all 3, slipcase sets with a cardboard insert in place of core rulebook (for those with corebook in hand).

They should all be available at the same time (unless there is some repackaging needed at the various domestic warehouses, which (I dunno) may be a thing that needs to happen?  In which case I expect the repackaged products will become available a few days after the standalone products).  But Chaosium seems to expect everything to be available by the end of March, and hasn't (that I have seen) called out any products for such earlier (or delayed) availability, so I think it's only my own pessimism -- of course MY purchase will suffer delays...

C'es ne pas un .sig

Here is a link to the US bound RQG shipment:  https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:685939/zoom:10   ETA to arrive in port is March 5th

Here is a link to the UK bound RQG shipment: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5049042/zoom:10  ETA to arrive in port is March 7th

The Australian RQG shipment is in the Aetherworks warehouse. (It arrived on the 25th of February).

The RQG rulebook second printing, the Bestiary, the GM Screen Pack, the slipcase sets, and empty slipcases are all being shipped together to each warehouse. No items relating to the slipcase set or the individual versions of those three items in the slipcase set have been delayed. ALL the items will be in all three of our warehouses some time in early March of 2019. They will probably be available before March 15th. As soon as they are we will announce their availability for purchase. Various coupons will be sent to provide discounts to those who bought PDFs of one or more of these items if they choose to purchase printed versions of those items.

To avoid any confusion, arguments, complaints, distress, stress, anger, disappointment, or similar "but I thought..." moments:

• IF you bought a printed rulebook already you will have the option of buying an empty slipcase, the GM Screen Pack, and the Bestiary on chaosium.com as a single "item".
  • This combo item of slipcase, bestiary and gm screen pack will be available with a regular bestiary or with a leatherette bestiary.
  • There is no cardboard spacer in this "partial" slipcase set. We decided this would create too great a chance for the wrong item to be shipped. We will make sure these items are shipped so damage will be prevented.
  • The leatherette rulebook and the leatherette bestiary will be available for purchase as separate items.
  • The rulebook, bestiary, and gm screen pack will be available for purchase as separate items.
  • Full slipcases (with all three of the items in them) of the leatherette bindings and the regular hardcovers will be available for purchase.
  • Leatherette books and slipcases full of leatherette books will only be available for purchase at Chaosium.com and at the Chaosium booth at some cons.
  • Empty slipcases and "partial" slipcase sets will not be sold through distribution and retail stores.
  • Full slipcase sets of the regular hardcover books will be sold via distribution and retail stores.
  • The Rulebook, Bestiary, and GM Screen pack will be sold as individual items via distribution and retail stores.
  • We do not know when distributors will order any of these items, nor do we know if/when retail stores will order or stock them.
  • The adventure book that is in the GM Screen Pack will not be available for separate purchase.
  • Maps will not be available for separate purchase.
  • Unfolded (rolled) maps will not be available for separate purchase outside of us selling them on redbubble.com.
  • We will do all we can to provide you with the correct discount coupon based on your PDF purchases. If we screw that up please contact customerservice@chaosium.com and we will send you a custom coupon that precisely fits your situation.
  • We will be sending out discount coupons (for PDF purchases made on chaosium.com) a day or so before the printed items go on sale. Thus, we have not sent out any discount coupons yet. We do not have a specific date for sending them out because we do not have a specific guaranteed date the items will clear customs and be in the warehouse.
  • We do not take pre-orders on printed items.
  • We have printed a sufficient number of these items and will do our best to keep them in stock going forward.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - one more question.

I’ve bought all new RuneQuest products to date. I’ve also bought the 1st printing of the RuneQuest corebook.

I intend to buy the slipcase, but I’m also interested in perhaps buying the second printing of the RuneQuest core book, as it sounds like it has improvements over the first printing ( and also I really RuneQuest, and I owe myself a birthday present) 

Would it be possible for those with the 1st printing already, to buy the second printing with the slipcase using the pdf coupon discount?  Or to put it another way are there any discounts available for those with the 1st printing, wanting to purchase the 2nd printing?

1 hour ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Ok - one more question.

I’ve bought all new RuneQuest products to date. I’ve also bought the 1st printing of the RuneQuest corebook.

I intend to buy the slipcase, but I’m also interested in perhaps buying the second printing of the RuneQuest core book, as it sounds like it has improvements over the first printing ( and also I really RuneQuest, and I owe myself a birthday present) 

Would it be possible for those with the 1st printing already, to buy the second printing with the slipcase using the pdf coupon discount?  Or to put it another way are there any discounts available for those with the 1st printing, wanting to purchase the 2nd printing?

I'm kinda on the fence about buying the second printing as a physical book myself, so this is a question that also popped into my mind.

IMO they are under no obligation to offer 1st-printing buyers a discount on the 2nd printing.  The have not (that I have seen) ever said or even suggested they might.

My recollection is that they stated up-front that there WOULD BE a 2nd printing with collected corrections.  I think they presumed that those who wanted the corrected printing would hold their discount coupon and buy that later printing, if that's what they preferred; while those who wanted an ASAP hardcopy would use the coupon at 1st opportunity, if that's what THEY preferred.

I too bought a 1st printing, and REALLY WANT a 2nd printing, and am looking at constrained finances.  So it'd be really nice to get that!

I could even argue a (IMO pretty strong) ethical case for Chaosium to offer those discounts.

But the cold hard truth is:  giving that discount TWICE is remarkably close to a "buy one, get one free" model.  And THAT isn't a sustainable model.  It's a zero-profit model or maybe even a "net loss" model.  At the end of the day, at the end of the month, Chaosium needs to be able to pay their bills, make their budget.  Remember, this is nuChaosium, the business-savvy folks who saved the CoC7 Kickstarter and likely Chaosium itself from bankruptcy... And they just kept going, cranking out this glorious new edition of RQ, plus Bestiary, etc, & more RQGoodness to come (and also further CoC7 content like MoN, etc; and new HQ stuff, and all the rest...).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

@Rick MeintsMeints - thank you for that VERY info-rich post of 1March.  Very nice, very much appreciated!

One minor question:. for those who (will) have both 1st & 2nd printings of the core rulebook, how do we distinguish between them (other than checking for corrected items)?  Will there be a "2nd printing" notice anywhere on the cover?  On the title page?  New ISBN?  etc ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 minutes ago, g33k said:

One minor question:. for those who (will) have both 1st & 2nd printings of the core rulebook, how do we distinguish between them (other than checking for corrected items)?

The second printing will contain a dedication to the late Greg Stafford on the credits page, which is also in the latest PDF.

27 minutes ago, Humakt said:

If I want to buy the full slipcase, the discounts from buy the bestiary and Gamemaster pack PDF still working isn’t?

Yes. This was the first option announced, and they later clarified that you could use those coupons for a set-without-a-core-rulebook.

Just now, PhilHibbs said:

Yes. This was the first option announced, and they later clarified that you could use those coupons for a set-without-a-core-rulebook.

Thanks, I got the first print and I just thinking to buy the 2nd will see if the “maths” allow me

At my last look [day before yesterday], all three ships carrying the Slipcase Edition [RQG, GM Kit, and Bestiary] were in either in-port or in the final legs of their voyage. These ships were headed to Southampton UK, Sydney NSW, and Long Beach CA. Of these, the Long Beach vessel had the farthest to go.

Expect them to be available by the end of the month [March 2019].

2 hours ago, Sumath said:

The last ship is currently docked in Vancouver, so yes, end of March sounds about right.

We'll have to see how own long the unload / reload takes in Vancouver, then getting into port & unloading in SoCal, and then transshipping halfway across North America...  Lots of potential for delays, alas!

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, Sumath said:

The last ship is currently docked in Vancouver, so yes, end of March sounds about right.

Valind's Glacier is just north east of that good port, so kindly drop a copy there at the local Issaries market  and I will send a dog team to pick it up.

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!