Pulp Cthulhu

PK Games

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just last week or so (i.e., early March 2009), there as a brief mention on the Chaosium site that Pulp Cthulhu was scheduled for, "later this year".

I'm eagerly awaiting this as well, but it looks like it will get the typical Chaosium glacial production approach. Oh well, at least their design and proof-reading is better than the Speedy Gonzalez Mongoose approach.

132/420

Chaosium was advertising this product for Nov of last year, did it ever come out?

The R'lyeh Report

February 25, 2009

"We have other titles in the works of course, including Interplanetary for BRP, Pulp Cthulhu, Voodoo Virus, R'lyeh Rising, and Blackmoore Global Laboratories. These titles will likely release late in 2009. Rudolph please send word! There are other manuscripts being worked upon as well. I'll be happy to mention them once they are being laid out for printing."

Originally I wasn't all that interested in Pulp Cthulhu... I mean, Cthulhu started out as pulp... so how much pulpier did he need to get...

Oh, unless you mean 'Pulp' the way they use it over on RPG.net... meaning wacky cinematics with inviolate heroes... kind of Lumley's style of 'Guns Against Cthulhu'.

Anyway, old prejudices aside, now I'm wondering if it might be a good resource for playing other sorts of pulps... ala The Spider, Doc Savage, The Avenger, The Shadow, The Phantom, and The Crimson Clown.

I'll keep my COC horrific... but I'd certainly be up for some slap-happy gunplay with Justice Inc.

Edited by Simlasa

Originally I wasn't all that interested in Pulp Cthulhu... I mean, Cthulhu started out as pulp... so how much pulpier did he need to get...

Oh, unless you mean 'Pulp' the way they use it over on RPG.net... meaning wacky cinematics with inviolate heroes... kind of Lumley's style of 'Guns Against Cthulhu'.

Anyway, old prejudices aside, now I'm wondering if it might be a good resource for playing other sorts of pulps... ala The Spider, Doc Savage, The Avenger, The Shadow, The Phantom, and The Crimson Clown.

I'll keep my COC horrific... but I'd certainly be up for some slap-happy gunplay with Justice Inc.

I was hoping to use it for a Tales of the Gold Monkey style Cthulhu campaign. The PCs are all adventurers, spies, magistrates and merchants/fortune seekers living out in the French Mandate of Pacific Islands and instead of the "Gold Monkey metal" as the McGuffin it would be some sort of Cthulhu icon the Axis powers seek.

With a few Cthulhu style monsters and encounters added in, the game would pretty much be a Bring 'em Back Alive, Tales of the Gold Money, Indiana Jones and the Call of Cthulhu esque campaign.

Probably use some of Pulp Cthulhu's ideas (if it ever comes out), with a modified use of Step 6 from BRP (+10 instead of +20 most likely) and so forth.

Should be fun.