Hastur the Chief Priest

Puckohue

I have a question about Hastur the Lawspeaker's title: Chief Priest.

According to the Adventure Book of the GM screen pack he is Chief Priest of Lhankor Mhy at Clearwine Fort. As I understand it, there is only a shrine to Lhankor Mhy there. The only temples in Sartar I can find info on are the ones in Jonstown and Boldhome. So who is he chief over? Are there more Lhankor Mhy priests at Clearwine Fort? If so, how come they don't have a temple?

• Like 1

Maybe there's just a couple and he's the senior of the two? Pure guess.

EDIT: Unless there is some regional thing, where Clearwine is like a "parish-center" for a collection of Lhankor Mhy shrines in other nearby locales - like a Lutheran provost (a priest that is normally a common parish priest - but also the administrative leader of a collection of parishes).

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1

The temples in Boldhome and Jonstown are major affairs, way beyond the normal means of a fringe cult like Lhankor Mhy.

All literate people in Sartar are worshippers of LM. While many of these are going to be found in the cities, Clearwine and Runegate act against Sartar's efforts to centralize all such endeavors in the cities of his, and are responsible for the poor state of Duck Point. This leaves the western quarter of Old Sartar without a princely administrative center.

Clearwine, Runegate, probably Duck Point, and various small collections of documents distributed between the thanes of tribes in the region may make up the congregation headed by the Chief Priest in Clearwine. Whether the administrative changes (like ceasing clans to other tribes as reaction to Lunar dictate) affects his congregation is another thing to question. Sartar and his successors managed to centralize these efforts elsewhere by sponsoring decent shrines in the tribal confederation cities (apart from the major library at Jonstown). In case of the cult of Lhankor Mhy, seeding these shrines generously with copies of standard works from the Jonstown library would convince the clan-located sages to move to these more convenient locations.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, Puckohue said:

I have a question about Hastur the Lawspeaker's title: Chief Priest.

According to the Adventure Book of the GM screen pack he is Chief Priest of Lhankor Mhy at Clearwine Fort. As I understand it, there is only a shrine to Lhankor Mhy there. The only temples in Sartar I can find info on are the ones in Jonstown and Boldhome. So who is he chief over? Are there more Lhankor Mhy priests at Clearwine Fort? If so, how come they don't have a temple?

He might be the ranking Lhankoring within the Colymar Tribe.

• Like 3