RQ2 - Scorpion Hall [SPOILERS] Scenario stuff and post playing problem

ChalkLine

Here's some accurate maps I'm doing up of the hall, I'll be doing 'artistic' freehand maps later. I moved the Hall to The Big Rubble and mandated it was built by Arkati in a period of tolerance. The Kyger Litor and Zorak Zoran shrines were constructed by or for visiting trolls. Note that there's stuff in there that are very poor choices for normal uz; advanced architecture, tapestries of troll history that trolls can hardly see and undoubtedly couldn't make, odd sorcery allusions. The mad sorcerer-worm thing below the structure is probably the last of the Arkati.

Now, after I've gotten through it (and it's still quite playable, just convert it to your favourite system. Note there is some errors in the text that I try to correct on the maps) I have a problem; the Zorak Zoran truestone is something I don't want and don't need. The obvious place to trade it is back to the Zorak Zoranis, but they are liable to reject trading it and just track my PC down and kill him for it. Now, how to go about a trade? I thought maybe using an Argan Argar trader as an intermediary but I have a second problem; my PC is a superior enlo. As in the Elder Secrets book it is stated that there really is no such thing as an independent enlo an Argan Argar trader would be within their rights to simply seize him and the truestone as by definition a slave cannot own property (being property themselves) . . . 

It's been suggested over on the facebook page that I use a freindly uz as the intermediary but alas the PC knows none . .  .

Scorpion Hall Ground Level.jpg

Scorpion Hall Underground Level 1.jpg

Edited by ChalkLine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChalkLine said:

Now, how to go about a trade? I thought maybe using an Argan Argar trader as an intermediary but I have a second problem; my PC is a superior enlo. As in the Elder Secrets book it is stated that there really is no such thing as an independent enlo an Argan Argar trader would be within their rights to simply seize him and the truestone as by definition a slave cannot own property (being property themselves) . . . 

Obviously, find a sucker (i.e. adventurer). Make it worth their while to make the trade for the enlo - they are Hoomanz, what do they know!  An Issaries merchant is also possible, but they might be a bit brighter than your average adventurer. 

• 2 years later...

Always good to find a fellow mapper of Scorpion Hall. I recently got inspired to re-map it and came across this post while trying to find out if there was any errata for the Dark Troll cell. Here's my take.

FYI the black areas on the west side of the ground floor seem to be a space for the fireplaces in the basement. The measurements of the corridors in the prison part seem to be a bit off so I made them fit the rooms.

Ground Floor

Basement

Hope you find this useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 2:12 PM, smiorgan said:

@Everybody... Were could Scorpion Hall be located in Northwestern Sartar? I'd like to set it not far from Apple Lane/ Clearwine/ Jonstown...

I'd put it in the Far Place above Snakepipe Hollow.  Perhaps somewhere within the Lost Man Woods, or alternately along the northern edge of Snakepipe Hollow as part of the Stinking Forest. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Btw, if you happen to have the 13th Age Glorantha material, this would hook up very nicely with the intro scenario regarding the horn Sounder.

Oooh! Good to know!

BTW Are "Far Point" and "Far Place" two interchangeable terms? Such as Swan and Swanton, Wilmskirk and Wilmschurch?

Since we mentioned spoilers already...Huge spoiler.

Spoiler

The one thing that I always remember about Scorpion Hall was the mysterious crystal in the acid pool. The scenario made it clear that the author could identify no way to get that thing. He had a special trap for lycanthropes for example. (I was not convinced that wolfbrothers could shrug off POT 20 acid myself.

What was odd to me was the author seemed to discount a very common spell of the most common cult in the game at the time: Flight, then called telekinesis. Available to Orlanth Adventurous, Vinga, Issaries. It is Ranged, so it can be cast on an object within range. One point will easily pick up the noticed crystal and fly it right near your hand. Pour a little of your water or wine skin over said hovering crystal to wash off any remaining acid. Voila, well within 15 minutes, you have yourself the crystal. (Section 379 of the SoloQuest Classic Collection).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And for some reason after my last post I can now upload images. So here are some images. 1 square = 1 m. Some of this will be off as the walls are supposed to be .75m thick

Ground Floor

s643878391_SQ2-DungeonFloorPlan-Ground.thumb.jpg.8558fc9b6716e650bc8fd13fb3456171.jpg

Basement

1212711506_SQ2-DungeonFloorPlan-Basement.thumb.jpg.cc06136f008ab17e0d703795798f3ba1.jpg

The north cell on corridor 272 has got problems with the numbering. I think you should eventually get to ref 293 but how you get there from 272 is broken. Any errata links welcome 🙂

• Thanks 1