Jump to content
RosenMcStern

Revolution in 2019: International Edition and Medievalia D100

Recommended Posts

On 3/14/2019 at 2:50 PM, Jakob said:

Okay, this may be ranting, but I'll still take the opportunity to mention the one thing that truly bugs me about RD100. I first have to say that I never quite read the rules through, even though I love a lot of the concepts, and I'd be very happy about a more accessible version 2.0. But there's one actual, very minor rules thing that I can't wrap my head around: Why do so many creatures must have damage bonuses like +5d2? I know that a lot of people don''t mind or even enjoy rolling buckets of dice, but D100 systems are traditionally relatively free of such things. Furthermore, it's just not that glamorous to roll a lot of d2s ... is there any reason why this isn't converted to, say 16d+4, which has the same range?

Jakob's observations deserved a reply, but it took some time for me to find a spare 10 minutes to do so. 

Yes, there is a reason why it is not translated into something less clumsy than a "bucket of dice". The number of dice represents the sheer impact, the "kinetic energy" of the blow, which is different from "damage", which takes into account also the ability of sharp weapons to cut deep into the target flesh and bone. In classic D100 games, a sharp weapon is more likely to overcome a parry than a blunt one because it does more "damage" - the kinetic and the sharpness factor being inseparable. Mythras does not have this problem because it adds a "size" factor to all weapons, and uses it, and not "damage", to check wheter a parry can be overcome. However, this does not take into account the strength of the weapon wielder, and requires one extra variable for all weapons and attacks - and sometimes you can forget to compare sizes, particularly for creatures.

Revolution uses the number of dice - which summarizes the nature of the weapon, the hands used to wield it and the wielder's Might into a single factor - to determine how "strong" an attack is, and how difficult it will be to block its impact. Several combat effects (MIghty Blow, Overwhelm, Bypass Defense, Stun) and at least one power (Absorb Kinetic) operate on the number of dice rolled for a blow. This is quite straightforward and intuitive (each point of Might = 1d2) , and it could not work if different die sizes instead of a different number of dice were used.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

Jakob's observations deserved a reply, but it took some time for me to find a spare 10 minutes to do so. 

Yes, there is a reason why it is not translated into something less clumsy than a "bucket of dice". The number of dice represents the sheer impact, the "kinetic energy" of the blow, which is different from "damage", which takes into account also the ability of sharp weapons to cut deep into the target flesh and bone. In classic D100 games, a sharp weapon is more likely to overcome a parry than a blunt one because it does more "damage" - the kinetic and the sharpness factor being inseparable. Mythras does not have this problem because it adds a "size" factor to all weapons, and uses it, and not "damage", to check wheter a parry can be overcome. However, this does not take into account the strength of the weapon wielder, and requires one extra variable for all weapons and attacks - and sometimes you can forget to compare sizes, particularly for creatures.

Revolution uses the number of dice - which summarizes the nature of the weapon, the hands used to wield it and the wielder's Might into a single factor - to determine how "strong" an attack is, and how difficult it will be to block its impact. Several combat effects (MIghty Blow, Overwhelm, Bypass Defense, Stun) and at least one power (Absorb Kinetic) operate on the number of dice rolled for a blow. This is quite straightforward and intuitive (each point of Might = 1d2) , and it could not work if different die sizes instead of a different number of dice were used.

Thanks for the explanation - it actually makes a lot of sense, though it doesn't alleviate my irrational dislike of rolling a handful of dice ... but knowing the reasons behind it will at least make it easier to look past it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW: a list of all Traits in the book categorised by Skill would be a helpful resource for the GM during play.

Please include the Power Traits of the mail rule book, too. :D

Just yesterday I found myself looking up Traits in the rule book many times, which was irritating. ;)

Oh, and is there a Trait like 'Library use' or 'Research' ? If not, would that be a Knowledge Trait?

Cheers!

Rob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 9:21 PM, Jakob said:

Thanks for the explanation - it actually makes a lot of sense, though it doesn't alleviate my irrational dislike of rolling a handful of dice ... but knowing the reasons behind it will at least make it easier to look past it.

You know, the amount of dice rolled for Might is actually really frightening for players, once you have used the Mighty Blow Damage Effect as a GM. Players will never ever underestimate the size of a creature thereafter ...

And the best thing: if using the effect, you do not roll the dice for Might at all ... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW: I use different d6 for Might Damage. Usually I use numbered d6, but for Might I use pips on d6'es. That way it is easy to destinguish the weapon damage from might damage. 

On a narrative level it is fun to explain how the damage comes together and with the different dice it is easy to visualise it 

Anyways, just a bit of chit chat along the way ... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 10:46 PM, pansophy said:

BTW: a list of all Traits in the book categorised by Skill would be a helpful resource for the GM during play.

Please include the Power Traits of the mail rule book, too. :D

I tried that in a draft of Merrie England:Robyn Hode. It should be fairly easy to do for the main rules, but might be better as a fan-thing.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:46 PM, pansophy said:

Oh, and is there a Trait like 'Library use' or 'Research' ? If not, would that be a Knowledge Trait?

The thing about Traits is that you can just add them as and when you want.

Yes, Library Use/Research would be a good Trait under Knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 12:03 PM, soltakss said:

The thing about Traits is that you can just add them as and when you want.

Yes, Library Use/Research would be a good Trait under Knowledge.

Exactly. This is how you should use Traits: if it fits your game, add it even if it is not official. I will try and add a small sidebar about the "Do it yourself" technique for Traits and Stunts, too. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is appropriate to post an update about this year's schedule. It is evident that the International Edition is not being kickstarted anytime soon. We are indeed still progressing with it, and should have the new Quickstart available next week. You might wonder, though, which is the reason for yet another delay when we were so enthusiastic about the new edition and the new Medievalia supplements. The fact that I moved to Belgium again has probably something to do with it, but it is not the only reason.

A few weeks after the announcement in this thread, we started negotiations for a licensed setting. It was one of those tasks which you start with a "Not gonna happen, but it would be unforgivable to not give it a try" attitude. And yet it turned out that it was doable, after all.

Once the thought of acquiring this license became more and more concrete, we realised that it made sense business-wise to produce this supplement before the new edition. It is a standalone game using a modified Rd100 engine, so it does not require the International Edition to be published in order to incorporate elements from the revised rules. It then turned out that it would be a good plan to :

  • Release the revised Quickstart
  • Crowdfund and release the new "Project Z"
  • Release the International edition (with or without crowdfunding)

in this exact order. Which in turn means that the International Edition could be postponed to 2020, as it is now too late to undertake two big projects by the end of the year.

We will announce the new timeline as soon as we have green light for the new project.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While after reading the new Quickstarter, I'm very much looking forward to the international edition, I'm also quite curious about that license ... so this new stand-alone RD100 game will incorpate the revisions, anyway, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Please note that the revisions are not a revolution of the rules (pun not intended), just a simplification of some points where the crunchiness was unnecessary or applied in the wrong way. Things may look different because we renamed several variables and moved away from the classic "hit location table" approach, but the core rules are always the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds good - I'm pretty happy with the core rules from what I've read, I just want to see them spelled out more clearly (I'm a lazy role-player - if something seems to complicated in reading, I usually never try it out, even if it might be simple in practice ...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am bummed that the "International Edition" is being pushed back.  I am more interested in the clarified core rules than in any supplement or setting material.

That written, congratulations on the new license!  I hope that it brings much success to your team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are absolutely correct that clarified and improved rules are important. However, a lot of players (maybe not the majority here, but most likely the majority of those who actually play games) attribute less importance to the rules and more to the availability of interesting settings. It is thus important to roll out new supplements, too. We will try to proceed in parallel as much as possible (and this statements includes Red Moon Rising, too), but resources are scarce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the "international Edition" covers only the rules NOT in English ? When do you intent to actually publish the new SRD in English ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zit said:

Does the "international Edition" covers only the rules NOT in English ? When do you intent to actually publish the new SRD in English ?

According to a SciFi series from way back when, Americans think that International means Americans Abroad, so the International Edition could well be in English.

Even I don't think that there is one version of "foreign" that everyone understands.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The International Edition will be in English, too. The new SRD is not complete yet. At this stage we know 90% of the rule changes we wish to introduce, but clarity is the main goal to achieve for the English text, so there might several more iterations to pass.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

but clarity is the main goal to achieve for the English text

Kudos to that!
 

I love the supplements BTW, merged some ideas for my campaigns! 😛 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...