EpicureanDM

Looking for practical combat tactics for GMs

On 3/10/2019 at 4:44 AM, PhilHibbs said:
On 3/8/2019 at 9:58 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

Love the troll (argan argar?) wearing obsidian shades, a very cool hipster hat and bling featured in Troll Pack (I am old, was this the corrrect origin?) by Sandy et al from the 80's. Wicked cool.

My troll's shades were a long duration Form/Set Darkness.

Shades of a different colour,  p'raps.

2 hours ago, EpicureanDM said:

That's one of the pieces that's been missing for me. Spirit "combat" suggests that it should have similar stakes to physical combat (injury, dire consequences, death). This comment suggests deploying spirits as hazards. If the PC loses the fight, there's a generally non-lethal or mildly harmful consequence. The stakes for spirit combat don't have to be high at first. A lost battle might result in a small penalty to certain skills until a possessing spirit's kicked out. A victorious guardian spirit might place a geas on the defeated PC to recover an item that will strengthen the guarded location (or to correct an existing flaw in the location's defenses). When reading old RQ material, I usually see spirits and spirit combat included as part of a fight to the death or involving disease spirits to harm the PCs. There are probably examples when that's not the case, so I acknowledge that I've probably got some confirmation bias going on. ;)

To say nothing of the Ancestor Worship and animist traditions that WELCOME possession (I mean, granted, this wouldn't be a fight, but perhaps part of an initiation ritual is 'losing' a fight to a friendly spirit to 'open the pathways' to easier non-contested possession by such a spirit later)....or maybe an adventure where being possessed by the 'right' spirit lets you get past some otherwise impenetrable defense.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Shades of a different colour,  p'raps.

It's a troll; the shades could be absolutely opaque, really.  As long as her ears were cleaned out, no problems.

• Haha 2

In my experience we have never really had to worry about spells expiring in either 2 or 5 minute duration. We have very very rarely had a combat situation last long enough that we have to count the number of rounds and track Fatigue (RQ3) and all that jazz. Our biggest hurdle has always been effectively applying Magical augmentation in combat situations before we are engaged, we primarily played RQ3 with many a varied house ruling over the years. In RQ:G we now have Multispell as a stackable Runespell that is Common. I just recently put it to use with a little hitsquad my Humakti is leading on an adventure. We had an Agimori with a Spell Enhancing (Whichever one adds to variable spell intensity) Crystal POW 4 cast Multispell 2 and then Protection 4 (8 effective) and Bladesharp 4 (8 effective) on the while front line by the end of the second round. Made a HUGE difference against the 36 ghouls we were fighting. My Humakti has an item with Strength + Coordination + Mobility Linked together in Matrices which he uses with Multispell 2 to make everyone on the front lines a badass for a fight, he calls it Humakt's War Wind. Our Trickster with Shattering has realized he can cast a Multispell 3 on himself rather than several Shatterings and as long as he has MP to cast them, he can get more Diruption 4s off in a round then he can shatterings, like 3 times as many because of his DEX SR and how we calculate it.

In addition we have been using the Shaman in the party that has Spell Extension 5, Spell barrage 3, and Power Within 3 to ridiculous effect. He has been blowing up several (3-6) Ghouls a round with Ignite spells. Against regular dudes he throws out a couple diruption threes around. That is after he has covered the party in Protection 6s, Bladesharp 4s, and whatever else is appropriate. He doesn't need to spend resources on a Multispell every time he wants to buff the party quickly, it does take him a little longer as Spell barrage adds together the MPs of the Combined Spells so it takes way longer than the Multispell version for something like a Bladesharp 6 or a Protection 4 being cast on 3 party members, whereas Multispell has all the spells go off on the Highest of the combined spells SRs, so the Agimori with that sweet sweet crystal can cast Bladesharp 4 (Doubles to 8 )on DEX SR + 3 so, he could buff the whole front line in just one round, especially while under the effects of Coordination and Mobility.

End Rant. Sorry for my absolutely rubbish formatting.

• Like 1